elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Two Versions of The Seldom Seen Kid?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Puncture Repair
fallen angel
fallen angel
Puncture Repair

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-09-25

Two Versions of The Seldom Seen Kid? Empty
PostSubject: Two Versions of The Seldom Seen Kid?   Two Versions of The Seldom Seen Kid? Icon_minitimeSun 28 Oct 2012, 11:24

I saw my dad was listening to Weather to Fly and totally loved it, so I got USB stick and copied the album across. That was the first time I discovered Elbow and The Seldom Seen Kid soon became one of my all time favourites. I decided to go out and buy a physical copy of The Seldom Seen kid as a thanks to Elbow, and it's always great to hold the album in your hands. I replaced the old copy of the album and instead ripped it from the CD for a higher quality. When listening I noticed that the album felt very different. It's hard exactly to put a finger on every difference, some of them seem to be just different levels in the instruments.

Most notably:

-On the old copy Starlings opened with a huge mass of crazy sounds, gradually escalating until the marimba starts. On the CD rip this isn't there.
-On the old copy in Mirrorball the vocals "All down to you dear" appear in both the middle section and the end, on the CD rip the middle section only has "So lift off low" and the rest is instrumental.
-On the old copy in The Fix the "Aaahs" after "Cause the fix, the fix is in" where much deeper, but on the CD rip it's much more twangy, feels more reverby.
-On One Day Like This there appears to be more violins, some much higher in the mix.

I deleted the old copy as soon as I made the rip, so it's going off memory. But that was the version I grew to love, hearing it many, many times - these subtly differences feel like a splash of ice cold water! I wouldn't say I preferred one or the other. Both are definitely the studio versions just with slight alterations, one wasn't a live edition - but I was wondering if anyone knew about these difference, and what edition of the album they both were to shed some light.
It's nothing serious, just a mystery I fancy solving Smile
Back to top Go down
boy
little beast
little beast
boy

Male Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Two Versions of The Seldom Seen Kid?   Two Versions of The Seldom Seen Kid? Icon_minitimeSun 28 Oct 2012, 14:04

I'm not sure about the other stuff but didn't Craig say they got rid of the Starlings crashed because being loud doesn't mean being good? Something like that anyway
Back to top Go down
Puncture Repair
fallen angel
fallen angel
Puncture Repair

PostSubject: Re: Two Versions of The Seldom Seen Kid?   Two Versions of The Seldom Seen Kid? Icon_minitimeSun 28 Oct 2012, 16:34

boy wrote:
I'm not sure about the other stuff but didn't Craig say they got rid of the Starlings crashed because being loud doesn't mean being good? Something like that anyway

Was the Seldom Seen Kid leaked before release? Maybe it was an earlier version.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Two Versions of The Seldom Seen Kid?   Two Versions of The Seldom Seen Kid? Icon_minitimeSun 28 Oct 2012, 19:26

Sounds like the early version is the press release version...Craig talked about it on this forum in the Turn Me Up thread.

About half way down...

http://elbow.heavenforum.org/t181p45-turn-me-up

Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Puncture Repair
fallen angel
fallen angel
Puncture Repair

PostSubject: Re: Two Versions of The Seldom Seen Kid?   Two Versions of The Seldom Seen Kid? Icon_minitimeSun 28 Oct 2012, 20:34

MagicalTrevor wrote:
Sounds like the early version is the press release version...Craig talked about it on this forum in the Turn Me Up thread.

About half way down...

http://elbow.heavenforum.org/t181p45-turn-me-up

Ah, that answers it then. I didn't expect the answer to be already on the forums from a member of them band themselves - quite magical! Very Happy

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two Versions of The Seldom Seen Kid?   Two Versions of The Seldom Seen Kid? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Two Versions of The Seldom Seen Kid?
Page 1 of 1