elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How do you kill the free hours?

Go down 
+20
nikkijaydee
oneofthethree
Lynne
yesman
WOBLEwoble
TamedLamia
leespoons
mrswoman
ChrissyBoy
ticky
ChrissieInFL
Mr_K
redliz2
Dabamash
Hotblack
My Bury Vest
ElbowFreak
Grant
fadeupyoursmile
bennn
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bennn
fallen angel
fallen angel
bennn

Male Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-07-20

How do you kill the free hours? Empty
PostSubject: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 21:34

Other than listening to Elbow, what do you guys get up to in your free time? The student life seems to turn out more free days than I can shake a stick at - about time I picked up a hobby Very Happy

(Hoping to find someone's into extreme ironing or something)
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 22:15

I'd love to say i sketch, read, go for walks with my camera and generally meditate over what is beautiful, but i discovered stumble and i've not left the flat since!
I try to do something creative, i go to a lot of stand up, i used to be in a choir and wind my flat mate up by singing really annoying songs from the 90's! (Alice on here, she's gone home for a few days so i was going to make the most of the time by reading, but i'm not.... Embarassed )
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 04:05

Well, recently, me and my friends have started drinking more than usual Embarassed so that's taking up alot of the free hours. I'm just in! Razz teenagery's awesome! other than that, i read, run, play football and basketball, and watch house, scrubs, how i met your mother, and any decent DVD that comes to hand Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 05:48

Otherwise than drinking (I don't drink at all) we have the same taste in TV-series. Very Happy So yeah, watching TV and listening to music kills my free time. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 06:41

Well, seeing my son at weekends and midweek, playing Crown Green Bowls twice a week and being a Season Ticket Holder at Manchester City takes up most of my time !

Otherwise, alcohol and music fill the rest of the gaps !! Give me Beer
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 07:44

Alcohol (member of CAMRA and real ale fanatic - always searching out new beers to try), music, reading (novels mainly), cycling, hacking out a few chords on my guitar (also involves alcohol; playing at the local music sessions in the pubs) and photography. That lot keeps me pretty busy. I hardly watch tv and can't stand the cinema (it's full of numpties making noise).
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 09:21

Bugger all atm. Generally I will spend my time taking photos, playing piano, bike riding, snowboarding, seeing films, watching TV, etc.
Back to top Go down
redliz2
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 10:09

Being a single mum ,a student, and with work, free time is a bit of a luxury, so if I do have spare time I like to basically do nothing!
Although being a contrary cow I actually find it very difficult to relax, but if I can manage to sit still I like reading,or trying to catch up on all the TV stuff recorded/box sets bought that I never have the time to watch, or messing about on the pooter Laughing
If I'm being a bit more energetic I like walking , gardening,horseracing (watching not riding, I'm far too fat to be a jockey Twisted Evil ) I'm in a racing club and "own" bits of racehorses Very Happy
And of course there's my ultimate time waster ..Manchester United ...the hours those clowns have taken from my life .. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 11:49

Having a 4 year old son, a house which seems to want to eat itself, a garden the size of a field (although Mrs K deals mostly with that), thankfully a large not-too-dysfunctional family and friends plus working for a living doesn't really leave a huge amount of time. I like to catch a match if I can, but living 200 miles from Manchester makes it practically impossible at the moment to see a live game. Other than that a bit pottering around on the 'pooter, the odd film, that sort of thing.

MBV - should be interesting this season, eh?
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 11:57

Hey Mr K, whizz over to the Football topic, I've just posted........... Smile
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 15:04

I tend to be quite busy, since I have a young daughter at home. But if I have extra time, I am ususally volunteering (at my kid's school or for social/political organizations - did a lot of work for Obama's campaign last year). Also love writing though I don't really do anything with it, just blogs about music or current events when I have time. And living in Florida, I do try to find time to just vegetate out on the beach when the weather is agreeable, usually with a frosty beverage in hand...the sound of the waves and the taste of the rum runners make an excellent combo!
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 15:09

Oh i bake! I have some caramel shortbread cooling on the coffee table atm!
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 18:10

Having seen Hugh Fearnley-Wittingstall extolling the virtues of home-made bread, I've been on a bread baking kick as well recently. All that kneading does wonders for the bingo wings. You all really should try it - there is nothing more exquisite than fresh bread from the oven, dripping in Lurpak.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 18:24

ticky wrote:
Having seen Hugh Fearnley-Wittingstall extolling the virtues of home-made bread, I've been on a bread baking kick as well recently. All that kneading does wonders for the bingo wings. You all really should try it - there is nothing more exquisite than fresh bread from the oven, dripping in Lurpak.
It is my next stop, but our oven is SO temperamental!
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 18:44

Like others, ...Spare time ? I wish !
Wake, Work, Home, Wife goes to Work - Two kids, one with ASD - everyday's a handful, Eat, Sleep... and repeat.

I do a fair bit of cooking, actually quite enjoy it - especially with a glass of red on the go (Keith Flloyd eat your heart out!) agree with the homemade bread comments - strangely theraputic and mmm !
Listen to music when I'm not being bothered by the fruits of my loins.
Catch a football match on SKY occasionally. Visit this place when i can get on the p.c or the laptop - and dream of writing a novel beside a pool somewhere warm.
Cool
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 19:35

bennn wrote:
(Hoping to find someone's into extreme ironing or something)
Heh heh, I used to put 'extreme knitting' on profiles as I'm a crafthead. Sewing, card-making, beading, crochet and spinning are faves too, but I have no shame and get the pointy sticks out in public (KIP as the Ravelry crowd say). There's usually a pair of 'travel' socks in progress everywhere I go, which is a great conversation starter for curious onlookers. Thankfully knitting's moved on light years from the Shreddies' Nanas: Rav's 'Knit Girls' are polar opposites with ink & attitude!

Years back I used to sing and play a bit of guitar in a couple of bands, while these days it's more with mates or occasionally at parties. I used to love baking too, so keep my hand in with a splurge for special occasions or odd bored Saturday.
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 19:59

I have two kids under four so most of my time is spent running round after them. Weekends are mostly spent taking them to the beach or the swings - and because my daughter's only three months old we get a lot of visits from friends and grandparents at the moment!

When I get any spare time at all, I make bootlegs and mashup mixes: see here for a few examples. I did a couple of Elbow ones but haven't got round to re-uploading them yet since I added wordpress to my site.

Other than that I waste a lot of time on gybo (bootleg forum) and twitter (as certain people here will testify)... or just listening to new music on spotify (I'm lucky enough that I can do this at work sometimes)... or quality time slumped in front of the telly with Mrs Spoons and a glass of wine.

Sarah wrote:
ticky wrote:
It is my next stop, but our oven is SO temperamental!

Get a bread machine. Only about £20 and you can have proper fresh bread in minutes (well, hours). We got one a couple of years ago and we haven't bought nasty shop-bought bread since... and you can even make jam with it! (we've never tried but apparently 'tis true)
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 21:34

Lee Spoons wrote:
Get a bread machine. Only about £20 and you can have proper fresh bread in minutes (well, hours). We got one a couple of years ago and we haven't bought nasty shop-bought bread since... and you can even make jam with it! (we've never tried but apparently 'tis true)

Ah yes, that's as may be, but it wouldn't help my upper arm tone.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 21:38

They're pretty heavy y'know - you could always try lifting it above your head repeatedly for the three hours it takes to knock out a fresh loaf...
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeWed 12 Aug 2009, 19:19

At the moment I mostly spoil my back muscles at the computer Embarassed
But I made it at least to paint a bit when I listened to Garve's Finest hour last monday.
But when I'm better again I will: do Tai chi, go to singing lesson, violin lesson, percussion lesson, to the disco....normally I am a hobbyaholic! What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 21:38

Now I have some I plan to read loads of books. Got another Steven Fry the other week.

But having spent three days clearing out a garage I could hardly move in, I now have a workspace ready for a Kiln, tools and glass. Love making kiln glassware
How do you kill the free hours? Glass_2
How do you kill the free hours? 925
Something like this (I wish) but one day with practice.
Back to top Go down
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours
yesman

Male Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeFri 14 Aug 2009, 08:33

Fair amount of time is being the taxi service in the household .

Like ferrying my 13 year old son to football training / matches and my daughter to her gigs to see bands like You me at Six and such .

Enjoy a nice walk usually involving popping in to a pub for a decent pint of ale .

Have always liked travelling to new places whether in the UK or if we can overseas.

Since rediscovering my love of music have been to quite a few gigs and finances permitting we try to make it an overnight stay in a local hotel so we can see the town / city a bit.

I am also trying to learn to play guitar but making slow progress. Enjoy it though
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeMon 17 Aug 2009, 21:14

Apart from the usual being mum to my two daughters fetching and carrying for them and work, I spend most of my time making novelty cakes. The requests I get you wouldn't believe, I've made such themed cakes as strippers, to VW campers to 'crack back and sack' cakes.

Have found of late I'm spending more and more time on the computer on this site in particular. Love to catch up with all the latest Elbow news.

Hope it doesn't go too quiet on here after September!
Back to top Go down
oneofthethree
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-06-14

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeMon 17 Aug 2009, 21:20

Alcohol, food and sleep generally.

With a bit of work thrown in.

And taking the mickey out of antipodeans and scousers.
Back to top Go down
nikkijaydee
little beast
little beast
nikkijaydee

Female Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitimeTue 18 Aug 2009, 17:58

Season ticket holder at Leeds Rhinos rugby league club. Other than that and work at the moment I don't do much else cos being pregnant is too knackering!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you kill the free hours?   How do you kill the free hours? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you kill the free hours?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next