elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elbow Tour - who's in?

Go down 
+9
newborn
Cestriansteve
Grant
ticky
hilaryg
andy_landy
fadeupyoursmile
sundaygirl
Kim
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Elbow Tour - who's in? Empty
PostSubject: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 18:31

I'm thinking of saving up so that on the next Elbow UK tour I can go to every single show... it's going to be absolutely epic.

Question is, who's in? Sundaygirl has already expressed an interest, let's see who else we can get to join us. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 18:52

This girl I worked with, during the Madchester days, or I guess right before, she and her friends were massively into Stone Roses, even before they had released their first album. Used to go see them at all the now defunct Manchester clubs in Moss Side and such. In fact, they became such a presence that they knew the band and my firiend Nicola reckons she's responsible for the backward music on...oh, which track is it? But there's one song where the music is going backwards and she told me that she was taping this one show and Ian Brown wanted to have a listen and she said "Ah, it's all messed up, listen, it's going backwards", but he thought it was cool. And when they had released their album and were touring, she and her friends would follow the band across the UK and Europe in this little van they'd all sleep in. It was one time, in Belgium, at a festival. I think she said it was Mani who came to their van; their "little pod" as he called it, and asked if he could stay with them as he couldn't handle the other guys anymore.

How cool is that?
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 19:14

Haha, that's awesome!! I wonder who'd be the first Elboy to visit our little pod if they needed a bit of a break?
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 19:16

Oooo, hoping it's Guy!!!!! drunken
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 19:20

Never gonna happen!
Al went to see them in Oxford and then saw them with me in Bristol the next day, but that was because they were playing in a tiny venue in Oxford (where she was living at the time) and i lived in Bath!
Back to top Go down
andy_landy
little beast
little beast
andy_landy

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 19:34

a whole tour... now that would be an ask...

...I like where you're coming from Smile

I really need to throw a few more songs together to make it worthwhile though Smile
Back to top Go down
hilaryg
friend of ours
friend of ours
hilaryg

Female Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 19:37

I've done it before for other bands in younger, fitter and stupider days. :-) It is fun but hard work. I didn't do a whole 3 week tour - I was selective based on distance and tried to avoid all seated venues, probably made half the tour. I'm not sure I'd want to do it again to be honest.

Furthest I've travelled for a gig is Denmark - driving across Belgium, Holland and Germany to get to a music festival. Three of us in a Citroen Saxo, it was a great adventure and well worth it. The Danes were very cool.

Actually, I've been to a gig in New York, but that was more a case of being on holiday and seeing if there were any bands we wanted to see while there. Ended up seeing the Divine Comedy. New York is a very civilised place to see a gig.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 19:41

I don't think i'd want to see the same set list 20 odd times! I like the one off leave you wanting more thing, it makes it special!
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 19:46

Hehe, I'm sure it would be exhausting by the end, travelling every other day. Smile Would be fun to do at least once. Get a taste of what it's like for the band I guess, in the travelling sense anyway.

I was going to attempt it for the March tour this year, started looking at hotel costs in each place and train costs between each place... it really adds up fast! :/
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 19:46

That's why we need our "pod".
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 19:53

Sarah wrote:
I don't think i'd want to see the same set list 20 odd times! I like the one off leave you wanting more thing, it makes it special!

Yeah good point, there's that aspect too... having seen them 3 nights in a row already at the Roundhouse and still wanting more at the time, I think I would be ok with it thankfully. I guess I mostly want to do it for the experience and as I start to take on more and more committments in life there will be less and less opportunity for it.
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 19:54

sundaygirl wrote:
That's why we need our "pod".

That could be fun! I would need to learn how to drive again... I passed my driving test 7 years ago but haven't driven since then... oops!
Back to top Go down
hilaryg
friend of ours
friend of ours
hilaryg

Female Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 19:59

Yeah, go for it Kim, now is the time to do it when you're young!

I ended up with lots of memories, but learnt you have to get hold of the set lists otherwise as you get old all the gigs tend to blur into one big fuzzy memory. Laughing
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 20:01

I've got a tent....
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 20:03

What I really really want to do is go to Glastonbury, prefereably when Elbpow are performing. We could rent one of those big Teepees....
Back to top Go down
andy_landy
little beast
little beast
andy_landy

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 20:08

yes. I so nearly got a tipi this year... ended up camping instead.

next year for sure... either a tipi or a yurt. I'm not too fussed Smile

got a few ppl interested already... it is gonna happen!
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 20:16

I'm still a festival virgin. I'm just convinced I would never be able to see anything so I would end up having a miserable time. Maybe you guys will get to prove me wrong one day!
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 20:17

TITP NEXT YEAR Very Happy:D:D:D:D:D:D
Back to top Go down
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 20:43

I'm up for that!

Often thought about doing a whole tour so bring it on.
Back to top Go down
newborn
friend of ours
friend of ours
newborn

Female Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 20:57

Kim wrote:
Hehe, I'm sure it would be exhausting by the end, travelling every other day. Smile Would be fun to do at least once. Get a taste of what it's like for the band I guess, in the travelling sense anyway.

I was going to attempt it for the March tour this year, started looking at hotel costs in each place and train costs between each place... it really adds up fast! :/

You could do it cheaper...
There's lots of very nice people on this forum dotted about all over the country and if we all offered you a place to stay near to each venue you'd be laughing...... Laughing
Failing that you could always shelter under the tour bus overnight lol!
Back to top Go down
andy_landy
little beast
little beast
andy_landy

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 21:52

I believe milletts have some good deals on tents right now Smile
Back to top Go down
Tailfly
friend of ours
friend of ours
Tailfly

Female Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 22:30

Kim wrote:

Failing that you could always shelter under the tour bus overnight lol!

Or you could try to blag your way ONTO the tour bus Wink

Last edited by Tailfly on Mon 13 Jul 2009, 09:08; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jul 2009, 06:41

Tailfly wrote:
Or you could try to blag your way ONTO the tour bus Wink

They'd have to let us on eventually right!!
Back to top Go down
redliz2
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Jul 2009, 09:29

Doing a whole tour is fun ..but really exhausting (done it once or twice Wink in my mispent youth) I gained so much respect for bands doing that .
The travelling alone kills you, never mind then having to get on a stage and perform for around 2 hours every night !

I've got a lot more selective these days and it is wearisome, no matter how much you love a band, if they don't change the set list up much .

A few times with mates , just for the craic ,we've looked into hiring a proper tour bus like bands do.
I think it was £300 per day + fuel and driver.We worked out if you had 10-12 of you in a group it's just about cheaper than each individuals travelling/hotel costs.
I'm not mad...honest Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Jul 2009, 16:24

Ouch that's a lot. How many people would an average-sized tourbus house comfortably? The other day I did a very (very) rough totting up of costs for a 12-gig tour via train... not cheap!!

Let's say £25 a ticket, £30 for a cheapo hotel room, £20 single train ticket to get there... (25+30+20)*12 is £900... the train tickets will vary drastically, probably towards the more expensive side unfortunately, but the other costs should be fairly steady. Then there's food and drink, say £20 a day, £240. But then you also have to consider that it's not 12 consecutive nights, and there'll be days here and there hanging around wherever, maybe 10 non-gig days during the tour, so for those you still have the hotel and the food/drink costs. That's another (30+15)*10... £450. So it's getting way past £1500 total... whew.

Should be able to save some of the costs if any of the gigs are in London since I'd be staying at home.

It's a lot of time off work too, hopefully they won't make it too difficult!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Tour - who's in?   Elbow Tour - who's in? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elbow Tour - who's in?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next