elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How did you discover them?

Go down 
+59
OllieCT
baby.giraffe
albutch
skazzochnizza
terryguisborough
chapeau_
Lynne
Bennington
NeonChoir
arsefrom
Lillybef
Panja
AyannaD
CrisalidaBoy
HattyMarris
Dano
Kiresg
The Final Track
Cestriansteve
run-lola-run
moz
Tailfly
the dissemiNATION
Emma G
Lesley Gilks
sundaygirl
nikkijaydee
heshofcheese
yesman
leespoons
errant
ticky
Honorella
nellie
bluejayway
Prestwich Red 143
Wirralgir1
mrswoman
Ted
Grant
ElbowFreak
Mirrorball
Hotblack
fadeupyoursmile
Tinwal
ChrissyBoy
TamedLamia
lucky with disease
ChrissieInFL
MagicalTrevor
Stockhaus
Topaz
Glendarian
hilaryg
My Bury Vest
gazzmatazz
Jones
al
Misspelt Yoof
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
baby.giraffe
newborn
newborn
baby.giraffe

Female Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-08-20

How did you discover them? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 20 Aug 2011, 04:32

First heard of them when they supported the Manics back in 2001 ish. I must confess they didn't have a massive impact as I don't remember being able to make much out (curse of the support band I think). I heard Powder Blue not long after on the radio and couldn't believe it was the same band. It's been love ever since. (Still love the Manics too! Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
OllieCT
fallen angel
fallen angel
OllieCT

Male Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2011-08-08

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 09 Sep 2011, 01:47

I have to be honest, it was 2008 when I heard One Day Like This, having heard the violins and not knowing who it was by was the first proper time I had heard of Elbow, and then Grounds for Divorce, although my friend posted Elbow songs on Facebook from time to time and after listening to the two above songs I started listening to them. He was posting a lot of stuff from Asleep in the Back so I started on that.

The clicking point was either Red or Powder Blue; Red I remember playing loads and just absolutely loving the piano notes and the chorus and Powder Blue the brass at the end with the smashed glass is one of the most heartbreakingly beautiful endings to a song I've ever heard. I had The Seldom Seen Kid at the time as well but I really didn't get into it at first strangely.

I then went to Leaders of the Free World (I think I was going off Pitchfork ratings or something stupid to decide which album to go to next) which I liked but didn't get into straight away, I think it was My Very Best at the time which grabbed me and made me like them even more. This neared the release of build a rocket boys! which I liked but what made me fall in love with them was Cast of Thousands, I went to Spain for a week on a school exchange and that was on non-stop, ribcage, Fallen Angel, Fugitive Motel, Switching Off and Not a Job, fantastic tracks and they all reminded me of Spain, the first day I got back I was at the train station listening to Not a Job and it reminded me of Spain and I just welled up!

My girlfriend at the time got me tickets to see them at the o2, standing, it was great, Great Expectations struck me so bad because obviously not getting into Leaders of the Free World I recognised it but didn't know it too well, but it was so beautiful that day, the atmosphere of the place meant the violins just surged through you and it really lifted the song to another level. About a week later, my girlfriend split up with me so that was on non-stop, I think it's now my most played track of iTunes funnily enough.

Saw them at Glastonbury this year and that was it really, easily the best set I've seen, it was perfect, Guy was brilliant, the weather was gorgeous, the occasion and stage were perfect and with some of my best mates too, I was in tears for half the set! We had a bit of banter from two lads from Bury calling us southern softies which was a laugh.

But yeah ever since then it has clicked, TSSK has well and truly clicked, it is a masterpiece, I read someone saying it was the OK Computer of that decade which I'd agree with, and the Abbey Road versions take them even further, beautiful. What a band.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 09 Sep 2011, 06:26

What a wonderful, heartfelt post! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 09 Sep 2011, 07:27

Great post OllieCT, eee by gum, us Bury folk are so cutting ! Very Happy

Agree with Ticky, a brilliant post - Great Expectations is incredible, still smile at Belfast a couple of weeks ago, I bellowed it back to Garvey, blew him a kiss and got one in return, I can't remember it but my mates told me this happened - too much Guinness yer see. Beer

Welcome to the forum mate.
Back to top Go down
JessieAddick
little beast
little beast
JessieAddick

Female Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 09 Sep 2011, 13:46

Hi everyone.I'm from China. Very Happy I first heard about them in 2007.A friend of mine introduced their music to me:knowing I was a fan of Britpop,she said 'you'll probably like this band Elbow,especially their debut album Asleep in the Back'.She was right and Powder Blue and Red became instant favourites of mine.But somehow my interest didn't last.My mind was probably occupied by something else.Then a year or so later,I discovered Richard Hawley and totally fell in love with all of his albums.So ultimately I got to hear The Fix and the album TSSK.I must say it was one of the greatest albums I'd heard in years.Sheer brilliance from start to end.So I've been a fan of theirs ever since.

What I love about their music most is the warmth and optimism that it conveys.I've been a big fan of bands like The Cure,Depeche Mode and Mansun but I'm starting to realise that I can't keep listening to dark songs all the time as they do have negative effects on my emotions and my views on life.Whereas every time I hear an Elbow song,it brings a smile to my face and make me embrace life more.Of course there're some dark lyrics in their music as well and some songs are quite sentimental but they never make me feel down about anything like songs by bands I just mentioned above do.That's definitely a good thing I suppose.And that's why I love their music so much.

Another big reason I like them is that they seem to be the most friendly,down-to-earth band I can think of.They're quite contrary to my impression of most bands.(I tweeted Craig once asking a question and he just replied to me - I'd never thought he would.)

I think I have to stop here before I turn this post into something like 'a million reasons why you like Elbow'.In a word,it's so great to have discovered them and of course discovered this lovely forum! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/jessieron
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 09 Sep 2011, 15:47

Welcome Jessieron and OllieCT!
It's so lovely to hear your Elbow stories!
Yes, the guys are great and the music amazing!
Take it from this old veteran: it just gets better all the time - and you couldn't find a nicer bunch of people (crew included!) I love you
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 09 Sep 2011, 15:58

Jones wrote:
Welcome Jessieron and OllieCT!
It's so lovely to hear your Elbow stories!
Yes, the guys are great and the music amazing!
Take it from this old veteran: it just gets better all the time - and you couldn't find a nicer bunch of people (crew included!) I love you

How did you discover them? - Page 4 Yeahth10
Back to top Go down
JessieAddick
little beast
little beast
JessieAddick

Female Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 10 Sep 2011, 14:02

Thanks for the welcome Jones and Chrissie Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/jessieron
ShakerTom
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-10-17

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 17 Oct 2011, 21:32

Summer 2001 there was a little piece in The Guardian (thank you Guardian!!) under 'one to watch'. It was them being from Bury that caught my eye as I am from there and not much has come from those mean streets since Peter Skellern. So I went down to the Virgin Mega store on Oxford St in London to check them out when they did a lunch time free gig and then saw them that evening at The Astoria for what was one of the best concerts I have ever been to. You can hear some of it on the deluxe 10 yr anniversary box set of AITB. That must be very close to 10 years ago now.
Back to top Go down
LaurenJade
newborn
newborn
LaurenJade

Female Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-12-18

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Dec 2011, 14:22

I discovered Elbow when I got back stage passes to Madness, Me and my Dad met Pete from elbow, he was a really sound guy although at this point I didn't know who he was my dad was pretty star struck!
after that I have listened to Elbow ever since and I LOVE THEM!!!!
Back to top Go down
Open arms
little beast
little beast
Open arms

Female Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-11-04

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Dec 2011, 12:42

I discovered them because Grounds for divorce was the music of House md Season 6 opening, I was curious and looked for the artist, listend to the album and then, fan + 1 Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://simpsonvips.canalblog.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did you discover them?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4