elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How did you discover them?

Go down 
+59
OllieCT
baby.giraffe
albutch
skazzochnizza
terryguisborough
chapeau_
Lynne
Bennington
NeonChoir
arsefrom
Lillybef
Panja
AyannaD
CrisalidaBoy
HattyMarris
Dano
Kiresg
The Final Track
Cestriansteve
run-lola-run
moz
Tailfly
the dissemiNATION
Emma G
Lesley Gilks
sundaygirl
nikkijaydee
heshofcheese
yesman
leespoons
errant
ticky
Honorella
nellie
bluejayway
Prestwich Red 143
Wirralgir1
mrswoman
Ted
Grant
ElbowFreak
Mirrorball
Hotblack
fadeupyoursmile
Tinwal
ChrissyBoy
TamedLamia
lucky with disease
ChrissieInFL
MagicalTrevor
Stockhaus
Topaz
Glendarian
hilaryg
My Bury Vest
gazzmatazz
Jones
al
Misspelt Yoof
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

How did you discover them? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 22 Mar 2009, 11:46

I heard them on some music channel (either Q, MTV 2 or NME) last year when Grounds...came out. I thought it sounded so different and loved the meaty riff.
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 22 Mar 2009, 17:45

I remember seeing them on Granada Reports years ago, i'm pretty sure they were interviewed on a barge or somewhere near Mcr ship canal, they played a bit of a song (dont know what it was though), they were talking about how they were finding it really difficult to get a record deal. I remember thinking the song was great, but then not hearing anything of them again for ages. I bought COT from asda for about £4, liked some of it, but then it kind of got lost with all my other stuff. Got really into Richard Hawley a couple of years back and it was him going on about Elbow that made me pull their cd out for another listen, I loved it, then I bought AITB and LOTFW, really loved them, and waited patiently for SSK to come out. Saw them live last Oct for the first time and really really loved them. Since then I've met Guy and seen them live again in Blackpool, and I'm going to both nights their playing with the Halle and to the evening with Guy and I cannot wait Smile
Back to top Go down
Honorella
fallen angel
fallen angel
Honorella

Female Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 22 Mar 2009, 20:11

I bought an ipod in January 08 and uploaded all of my CD's. Newborn and were on a compilation CD ("Acoustic") and Fugitive Motel was on a free CD from the Guardian. I hadn't really noticed them before....So, I went out and borrowed AITB, COT and LOTFW from the record library at the Uni where I work and fell in love! I was boring anyone who would listen but couldn't find anyone who would! I'd been living in Bury for a while last year, and I'm from the nort west. I don't know why but I think that's one of the reasons I love them so much - I just feel at home with them. During the summer I bought tickets for last Autumn's tour (couldn't find anyone to go with me!) and saw them twice, and have just seen them twice more! I am No that I haven't got a ticket for the Halle, though...So, if anyone has a spare one, think of me please.
Back to top Go down
Honorella
fallen angel
fallen angel
Honorella

Female Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 22 Mar 2009, 20:13

That's Newborn and Powder Blue on the Acoustic compilation...
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 23 Mar 2009, 08:37

Me? I first saw them on, what was then, the Carling Stage at Reading Festival in 2000 (or it may have been '99?). It wasn't until I got AITB and saw them a year later on the Evening Session stage at the same festival that I really fell in love with them.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 23 Mar 2009, 08:51

Like loads of others - it was the Jonathan Ross show that did it for me.
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 23 Mar 2009, 14:10

gazzmatazz wrote:
I heard Newborn on radio 1 (of all places) back in 2001. I'd never heard anyhting like it before and fell head over heels. The rest, they say, is histroy Smile

i first heard them on Mark & Lard, October 2001 (the 10th i think)... turned the radio on just before they came on and was blown away by what i heard... was driving to work at the time, drove straight past work and went straight to HMV to buy the album (not something i would normally do), didnt mind showing up late for work for something that good...
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 24 Mar 2009, 11:07

I too first heard (an edited version of) Newborn on Mark and Lard, must've been some time in 2001. Heard and liked the odd single over the years, but almost forgot about them until I bought LOTFW on a whim for about £6 in Tesco - this was early 2006.

I became obsessed by the album - it didn't leave my car CD player for three months! I'd often get up early on Sundays and take my baby boy for a drive to give Mrs Spoons a break, and LOTFW was always the soundtrack.

Bought the first two albums on Ebay later in 2006, and TSSK on the day of release - first time I've done that since I was a teenager.
Back to top Go down
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours
yesman

Male Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 24 Mar 2009, 19:41

I caught them on TV last year playing Glastonbury. Liked what I heard/ saw and started to find out more. Have since become a big fan and recently saw them play Wembley. A great concert. Have been lucky to get hold of tickets to the Halle concert in July. Looking forward to it

Has certainly rekindled my interest in music again having spent my earlier years following a lot of prog rock groups like Pink Floyd and Yes.
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 24 Mar 2009, 20:27

yesman wrote:
I caught them on TV last year playing Glastonbury. Liked what I heard/ saw and started to find out more. Have since become a big fan and recently saw them play Wembley. A great concert. Have been lucky to get hold of tickets to the Halle concert in July. Looking forward to it

Has certainly rekindled my interest in music again having spent my earlier years following a lot of prog rock groups like Pink Floyd and Yes.

My story's very similar to yours, Yesman. I too was a fortysomething jaded with the modern music scene, until that magical moment watching last years Glastonbury coverage.
I haven't really got an excuse for not getting into them earlier though, I recently dug out an old mixtape that my record shop manager buddy made me nearly ten years ago.. the first two tracks on it were Newborn and Powder Blue.. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
nikkijaydee
little beast
little beast
nikkijaydee

Female Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 25 Mar 2009, 18:09

I heard a very short clip of ' The Bones of You' on Radio 2 right at the beginning of this year. I had no idea who it was and had to keep listening out until I heard it again. I downloaded SSK from Itunes and within a week had the entire back catalogue. I have ended up a bit obsessed and just constantly alternate the CD's in my car!!! I heard of Elbow years ago but think I had always convinced myself I wouldn't like the music.

Still it's grown me out of my Kaiser Chiefs obsession!!!! I have got a bit more music sophistication since I turned 30!!!
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar 2009, 15:30

It was 2006 Leaders of the FW. I was at my friends Dave and Cassie's and Dave put on this CD of a band he thought I'd like and I was hooked (they were both a the party/concert filmed at the Elbow Room for the DVD. You can see them amongst the crowd). Went to go see them at the Cohesion concert at Platt Feilds and that cemented it. Dave used to manage a band called Meadow who had opened for the Bos during their Cast of 1000's tour and said they were the nicest f****ing bunch of guys he'd ever met. He told me the cutest Guy story.

The were opening for the Bos at Shepherd Bush Empire and arrived at the venue, a bit late and a bit tired, and went looking for thier dressing room. They found the door but when they walked in all the lights were out. Turned them on, and there was Guy standing in the middle of the room with his arms out wide, and he yelled "SURPRIZE!!!" and the band/manager were immediately won over. How long Guy must have been standing there, in the dark, waiting for them they didn't know, but all agreed it was dead cute.
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 09:40

Last summer, I heard a 30 second snippet on the car radio of "One Day Like This" and when I got home, down-loaded it off iTunes. On the strength of that, I bought "The Seldom Seen Kid" the next day.
Last year was a great year for music.
Lesley
Back to top Go down
Emma G
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 11:31

I'm a latecomer. I first heard Grounds for Divorce on Radcliffe and Maconie before the relaese of TSSK. Bought TSSK on the strength of it and haven't looked back. Bought all of the back catalogue within a week. It's strange that Grounds was my first introduction to them as it seems to me to be one of the least Elbow-like tracks they've done.
Back to top Go down
the dissemiNATION
newborn
newborn

Male Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-04-25

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr 2009, 20:17

being in america, very few people have heard of elbow. i heard forget myself on the trailer for southland tales. instantly loved the song. from there i heard bones of you, fallen angel, ribcage, powder blue, etc. seemed like every new song of theirs i heard was my new favorite. now i own all the albums and fugitive motel is definitely my favorite.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedissemination.com
Tailfly
friend of ours
friend of ours
Tailfly

Female Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 02 May 2009, 13:21

My science teacher actually did it for me, we were having an argument about the best British band and just kept saying... Elbow are. I had actually never heard of Elbow but when I got home I gave them a listen and i've been in love ever since.
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 02 May 2009, 14:44

See? Who says British education is failing its kids?
Back to top Go down
moz
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 14:15

Hello.

I discovered them by playing their 1st album when i worked in HMV. And i love them. DESPITE them being an arch enemy's fave band too....
Back to top Go down
run-lola-run
fallen angel
fallen angel
run-lola-run

Female Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 17:21

How did I discover Elbow?

I opened my April issue of Q to a striking black and white photograph of the man I was later to find out was Guy Garvey. I read the article, and struck by the acute likeableness of Guy, got straight onto YouTube to listen to some of their stuff.

I immediately ordered "The Seldom Seen Kid" from Amazon.co.uk and have never looked back!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.run-lola-run.deviantart.com
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 11 Jul 2009, 12:23

The first time I heard of Elbow was when I saw them support The Manic Street Preachers at Manchester Apollo in 2001. After that I kept seeing the name and hearing the odd tune - I think there was a Q compilation CD which contained Newborn?
I remember buying the album as I'd read a few good reviews, but I didn't listen to it much. It was probably January 2002 when this started to change. I attended the Manchester Hifi show and a friend of mine was using Newborn to demonstrate some equipment. I can rememeber having a conversation with him about Guy sounding a bit like Peter Gabriel. He asked me if I'd got the album to which I replied 'yes, but I've not listened to it much'. We talked about Scattered Black & Whites being a fantastic song and I thought, I really must listen to that album more. I can remember making a point of going to see them at the V festival in August that year.
I got Cast of Thousands the day it came out. I struggled with it immediately, but the more I listened, the more certain songs started to grow on me. I loved the use of the Glastonbury crowd on Grace Under Pressure. The whole thing started to make even sense after I saw them at Manchester Academy on Oct 3rd 2003. I loved the films they used as backdrops for Fugitive Motel and Switching Off, and once again I was blown away by the live rendition of Newborn.

My favourite band by a long way!
Back to top Go down
The Final Track
friend of ours
friend of ours
The Final Track

Male Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-12-28

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 30 Apr 2010, 18:47

Saw them opening for Coldplay Very Happy from the first trumpet of Starlings it was love.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 30 Apr 2010, 22:13

Good first note!
Back to top Go down
The Final Track
friend of ours
friend of ours
The Final Track

Male Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-12-28

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 09:59

It may have helped that the other opening band were hill-billy rock, but I love Elbow now so that's irrelevant.
Back to top Go down
Kiresg
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-12-02

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 02 Dec 2010, 22:18

Sadly, I've only really been aware of Elbow for about a year and a half--Grounds for Divorce reeled me in, hook, line, and sinker.

It especially saddens me that Elbow won't be playing in the U.S. for their upcoming tour.
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

Male Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-11-04

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 03 Dec 2010, 07:16

Read about them many times, in an italian music magazine, and finally i gave them a chance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did you discover them?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next