elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How did you discover them?

Go down 
+59
OllieCT
baby.giraffe
albutch
skazzochnizza
terryguisborough
chapeau_
Lynne
Bennington
NeonChoir
arsefrom
Lillybef
Panja
AyannaD
CrisalidaBoy
HattyMarris
Dano
Kiresg
The Final Track
Cestriansteve
run-lola-run
moz
Tailfly
the dissemiNATION
Emma G
Lesley Gilks
sundaygirl
nikkijaydee
heshofcheese
yesman
leespoons
errant
ticky
Honorella
nellie
bluejayway
Prestwich Red 143
Wirralgir1
mrswoman
Ted
Grant
ElbowFreak
Mirrorball
Hotblack
fadeupyoursmile
Tinwal
ChrissyBoy
TamedLamia
lucky with disease
ChrissieInFL
MagicalTrevor
Stockhaus
Topaz
Glendarian
hilaryg
My Bury Vest
gazzmatazz
Jones
al
Misspelt Yoof
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

How did you discover them? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 03 Dec 2010, 09:25

Kiresg wrote:
Sadly, I've only really been aware of Elbow for about a year and a half--Grounds for Divorce reeled me in, hook, line, and sinker.

It especially saddens me that Elbow won't be playing in the U.S. for their upcoming tour.

I am sure these are not all tourdates scheduled by now for next year, they will be back surely, I hope for German dates next year too, after they released the new record Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 03 Dec 2010, 12:19

Kiresg wrote:
It especially saddens me that Elbow won't be playing in the U.S. for their upcoming tour.

I bloody hope not!

They usually do tour the states, and after the massive success of the last album, I can't see how they wouldn't.

New Brunswick, Canada, where I live, is another matter though. Even Halifax would do. But I guess I'd better face up to an 8 hour drive to either Boston or Montreal. Still, makes for a nice trip Smile

...and there's me veering off topic...sorry!
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
HattyMarris
friend of ours
friend of ours
HattyMarris

Male Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 05 Dec 2010, 22:06

I discovered them through my friend who actually doesn't like them.
He showed me Forget Myself because he though i might like it.
And ive been hooked ever since Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CrisalidaBoy
fallen angel
fallen angel
CrisalidaBoy

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Dec 2010, 22:38

It was 2 weeks ago. I was bored in my house listening to some music and then I saw in a music blog that Elbow, a good and well-recieved band was going to release a new album on March... so I decided to download the last album of the band and well, at the beginning I find it a quite boring, but One Day Like This got me. Then it was a matter of time, and when I read the lyrics (I didn't get them at all) I digged the album a lot. It grown on me.

Now I'm listening to LotFW, the second Elbow's record I listen to.
Back to top Go down
AyannaD
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Jan 2011, 02:52

Kiresg wrote:

Hopefully the dates we've seen so far aren't the only ones, and will hit North America sometime this year.

I first heard about Elbow shortly before the release of Leaders of the Free World. I stumbled into a music thread on a different message board, and read posts about Elbow's new CD. The rest as they say, is history.
Back to top Go down
Panja
newborn
newborn
Panja

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-11-20

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Jan 2011, 14:01

It's hard to believe it was almost a decade ago now when I first heard Elbow. it was through a free CD that i got with the Q magazine and amongst a few gems on that disc was newborn; seven minutes of heaven. It's still my favourite track although with their songwriting getting better and better there's a few more tracks knocking at the door..
Back to top Go down
Lillybef
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lillybef

Female Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 11:44

I think that it was Steve Lamacq who introduced me to one of the biggest loves of my life.

I remember hearing a couple of their earlier songs on his show, then being lucky enough to see them for the first time at Leeds festival in 2001.
That was it pow! Blinded by how amazing that they were live ( and how beautiful that I though Guy was with a voice to die for).
Since then my love for them has gotten stronger. Cannot wait to the new album and to see them again in March.
Back to top Go down
arsefrom
fallen angel
fallen angel
arsefrom

Male Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-01-18

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 20:27

For me it was seeing/hearing Powder Blue on MTV all those years back.

Made me drop to my knees in an almost penitent fashion. I think I held my breath for the duration.

Loved them ever since.
Back to top Go down
http://www.morhall.com
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 20:45

Hi aresfrom - welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
arsefrom
fallen angel
fallen angel
arsefrom

Male Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-01-18

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 20:47

Thanks!

I'm so very excited as my wife and I have tickets for the warm up gig - and it's reasonably local to us.

Never seen the lads in anything smaller than the Roundhouse. It's going to be AMAZING.

Back to top Go down
http://www.morhall.com
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 03 Feb 2011, 01:29

I first learned of them through a different forum that I frequent. There was mild talk about them, so I decided to check them out. I listened to "Grounds of Divorce" and thought it sounded cool, got their music, and kinda forgot about it after a while because I got into other stuff. It wasn't until Friday of last week that, for some unknown reason, something clicked, and I'm suddenly into them. The very same thing happened to me with White Lies at the beginning of last year. It's weird how that works.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 03 Feb 2011, 01:31

Ooh I love White Lies.

Go back to that forum and tell them to sign up as well! I wanna hit 1000 before the end of 2011 Smile
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 03 Feb 2011, 01:49

Aren't they great? What did you think of their album "Ritual," if you've listened to it?

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to go back there. I'll see what I can do. Smile
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 03 Feb 2011, 02:43

Been listening to it a lot lately. It's more of the same, but that's a good thing.

There's some very strong songwriting talent in WL.
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 03 Feb 2011, 04:24

Yeah. I actually think "Ritual" isn't as strong as "To Lose My Life," but it's still a solid album, particularly in the second half.

Oh yeah, I agree. I feel that Charles' lyrics compliment White Lies' sound nicely.
Back to top Go down
Bennington
fallen angel
fallen angel
Bennington

Male Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 03 Feb 2011, 19:05

I'd love to say I'm an old school fan whos been with them since the begining, but alas I've only got into them recently.

I heard "grounds for divorce" in the trailer of the Cohen bros. "Burn after reading" and was extremely impressed with what I heard. Days later i saw a performance of them playing it live on a show which by then I instantly became a fan a brought the seldom seen kid & then later the rest of their albums!
Back to top Go down
http://thexilexile.co.nr
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 03 Feb 2011, 19:07

Oooooh, "Burn After Reading." That movie is fantastic.

Hi! I'm Violet, and I'm somewhat new to Elbow as well. Smile
Back to top Go down
Bennington
fallen angel
fallen angel
Bennington

Male Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 03 Feb 2011, 19:13

Hi! I'm glad to see I'm not the only Elbow newbie around here! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://thexilexile.co.nr
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 03 Feb 2011, 19:22

Same. What's even cooler is that we're about the same age, too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Feb 2011, 12:58

I love White Lies, seen them twice. My ears didn't stop ringing for hours, great base. Amazing live.
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Feb 2011, 18:17

Your ears were ringing? Did you have front row seats or something?
Back to top Go down
chapeau_
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 04:30

John Peel's 1998 festive fifty included Powder Blue. I owe a huge debt to the great man for introducing me to a number of fine performers and none more so than elbow. The 1st time I saw them live was the infamous Glastonbury festival in 2002 when they played grace under pressure and had the audience sing "we still believe in love so f**k you" which they recorded and used on the album version. All participants were invited to forward their names which would be printed on the cover, hence the album title "cast of thousands". And before you ask, no , my name is not on it as I didn't hear this info until it was too late! (I can still claim tenuously that I appeared on an elbow recording!)
Back to top Go down
terryguisborough
newborn
newborn

Male Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-06-27

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jun 2011, 10:39

listening to tracks of SSK, I thought he sounded a bit like Sting actually, like most other people though, I was so impressed I immediately bought all the other albums, I now have 5 Elbow albums in my car CD lol.

I saw this quote on a youtube of 'the bones of you' track recently and thought it summed things up pretty well;

if you were 16yrs old and were given elbow's catalogue of albums. you could probably relate to a third of tracks. and that would feed your heart and head enough to make them your favourite artists for life. you could grow up with them and understand lifes encounters through their songs. if you find them later in life like i did, you quickly realise your life has been played out in song. and alls you needed to do was listen. a sad, comfortable companion they are.
Back to top Go down
skazzochnizza
fallen angel
fallen angel
skazzochnizza

Female Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-07-09

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jul 2011, 21:09

Simply Coachella stream this year. 17th of April (yeah, I remember the date) I wanted to know who Elbow are and what their music is alike. so it was a perfect opportunity for me Smile Oh, Elbow's perfomance blew my mind! I can't stop listening to them even now. Great band!
Back to top Go down
albutch
newborn
newborn
albutch

Male Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-08-05

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 05 Aug 2011, 02:10

I'd been listening to Starsailor in 2004 and someone suggested that I might like Elbow.

Not looked back since then, what a beautiful band.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover them?   How did you discover them? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did you discover them?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next