elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elbow To Support REM

Go down 
+6
Skeletor
MrsMagicalTrevor
ukkonen
ChrissieInFL
Dabamash
MagicalTrevor
10 posters
AuthorMessage
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Elbow To Support REM Empty
PostSubject: Elbow To Support REM   Elbow To Support REM Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 13:23

Elbow are pleased to announce they'll be joining forces with one of the biggest bands in the world this summer when they support REM on a string of German dates.

The band will provide support for Michael Stipe et al at dates in Stuttgart, Loreley and Wurzburg.

It all happens in August and if this isn't a marriage made in musical heaven we don't know what is.

Here are the full details of what is sure to be a classic set of shows...

Aug 19 - Stuttgart, Ehrenhof
Aug 20 - Loreley, Freilichtbuhne
Aug 22 - Wurzburg, Marienfest.

Purchase your tickets at www.eventim.de now.

Last edited by MagicalTrevor on Sat 28 Feb 2009, 02:54; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079

PostSubject: Re: Elbow To Support REM   Elbow To Support REM Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 14:00

tut tut tut, REM should be supporting Elbow.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Elbow To Support REM   Elbow To Support REM Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 14:45

Dabamash wrote:
tut tut tut, REM should be supporting Elbow.

Ummmmmm...no. No they shouldn't. Sorry, but I'm old and I remember when REM were the shizz. They were like my Beatles growing up. Much love and respect to Elbow of course, but the body of work REM has produced since the dawn of the '80s gives them the edge, even considering that they've put out a lot of suckish stuff recently. They're Rock & Roll Hall of Famers for a reason though, and Elbow headlining over them would be wrong, wrong, wrong. Sorry, just having a Mrs. Brady, Old Lady moment ("I remember when children had respect for their elders and thruppence ha'penny would buy you a house...")!
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Elbow To Support REM   Elbow To Support REM Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 14:47

I think it's gonna be great exposure for the band to be supporting someone like REM, and props to REM for choosing/approving our 'bow boys.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Elbow To Support REM   Elbow To Support REM Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 14:49

MagicalTrevor wrote:
I think it's gonna be great exposure for the band to be supporting someone like REM, and props to REM for choosing/approving our 'bow boys.

I'll second that emotion. Only sorry it's all happening in Germany 'cause that would pretty much be the ultimate musical buzz for me!
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Elbow To Support REM   Elbow To Support REM Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 15:09

I'd willingly give any ligament to see one of these shows in Germany. And I'd have to agree with you, Chrissie, there's no way that REM could ever be considered as support to Elbow. They have a level of fame that Elbow hasn't been able to reach and it's still uncertain if they'll be able to tap into it or not. I recall one of the most puzzling support acts that Elbow has ever done and that was for Snow Patrol, but they're definitely supporting an amazing band. REM's last few albums don't compare to their 80's material, but their latest album is actually pretty good although I favor the old music over the new.
Back to top Go down
MrsMagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MrsMagicalTrevor

Female Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Elbow To Support REM   Elbow To Support REM Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 16:06

Sounds like hell to me... and I'm not talking about Elbow!

REM Sleep

No pun intended!
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079

PostSubject: Re: Elbow To Support REM   Elbow To Support REM Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 16:19

woah woah, the REM/Elbow thing was a joke, no need to take it serious ppl.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Elbow To Support REM   Elbow To Support REM Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 16:26

Dabamash wrote:
woah woah, the REM/Elbow thing was a joke, no need to take it serious ppl.

Ah the joy of internet forums...no one can tell who's serious or not!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Elbow To Support REM   Elbow To Support REM Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 16:32

Dabamash: No worries man, glad to hear you were only funnin'! Just defensive of my boys from GA, that's all. I go waaaay back with them as a fan so I can't help it!

Mrs. Trev: Awww, I don't think they'd put you to sleep. I've seen REM live many times, and the only time they threatened to put me to sleep was on the Green tour in '88, when Mr. Stipe seemed more interested in lecturing than singing and the pretentiously arty video projections jut became overwhelmingly silly after a while. But even then the music sounded great, and that has always been consistent at every show I've seen. All their recent live work has been far more powerful and streamlined, thank God. I think they've realized that they aren't bulletproof and that they have to work extra hard to win back fans they may have lost during their recent spate of crap records.

But hey, different strokes for different folks! It's all good, peeps. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Skeletor
friend of ours
friend of ours
Skeletor

Male Number of posts : 105

PostSubject: Re: Elbow To Support REM   Elbow To Support REM Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 17:17

MagicalTrevor wrote:
I agree. Great news...Maybe REM will get them to play on Sziget fest, too...That would be a dream come true...
Back to top Go down
JulieinTX
little beast
little beast

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Elbow To Support REM   Elbow To Support REM Icon_minitimeTue 15 Apr 2008, 17:02

OMG...what a dream ticket!
I too grew up with R.E.M. in the 80s, saw them every chance I got. The 1985 show in Dallas (Fables of the Reconstruction) remains the best live show I have ever seen, and Murmur is still easily in my top 5 albums of all time. I listened to it just recently and found myself thinking, "Ah...the days when you could hardly understand a word Michael Stipe was singing...and it didn't matter a damn."
I agree about their post-80s stuff, although I have been quite impressed by what I've heard on the new album.
Sigh...what I wouldn't give to be at one of these shows...
Back to top Go down
MrsMagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MrsMagicalTrevor

Female Number of posts : 209

PostSubject: Re: Elbow To Support REM   Elbow To Support REM Icon_minitimeTue 15 Apr 2008, 17:06

ChrissieInFL wrote:
Mrs. Trev: Awww, I don't think they'd put you to sleep.
But hey, different strokes for different folks! It's all good, peeps. Very Happy

Yep... they just don't do it for me and I hate his voice.
Back to top Go down
chan
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Elbow To Support REM   Elbow To Support REM Icon_minitimeWed 25 Jun 2008, 11:57

Can Elbow not support on REMs UK dates? As i am going that would be near perfect lineup for me other than maybe REM but i am getting into them more.
REM
Editors
Guillemots
ELbow??????
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/michaelchaneyuk
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Elbow To Support REM   Elbow To Support REM Icon_minitimeTue 08 Jul 2008, 18:23

I'm with ChrissieInFL as another long-time REM fan. I've even been to Athens GA and met the fan club lasses (Meredith and ?) outside the 40 Watt club.
Cue # "Pilgrimage# Smile

Granted the last few albums bar 'Accelerate' have pushed loyalty to the limits, but their stuff with IRS stands up well as early indie classics. No idea why the slow descent happened when they went to Warner though...
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: Elbow To Support REM   Elbow To Support REM Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jul 2008, 19:49

I will see them in Würzburg, I hope I'll get first row because I'm too small for back rows...
btw, they changed the venue, they will be at the "Residenzplatz" instead of the Marienfeste. Even better, because it's only about a mile from my hotel.
And keep your fingers crossed that the weather will be fine... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elbow To Support REM   Elbow To Support REM Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elbow To Support REM
Page 1 of 1