elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dream Setlist

Go down 
+10
Glendarian
Topaz
LongLegs
TamedLamia
heshofcheese
Jonny
Leo
lucky with disease
bluefield
Bloggs15
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bloggs15
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeFri 06 Feb 2009, 10:25

So I was thinking what would be all of our dream Elbow setlist (if we kept it realistic i.e. 15-22 songs). Mine would be:

Station Approach
Fallen Angel
Forget Myself
Some Riot
Powder Blue
Mirrorball
Grounds For Divorce
Fugitive Motel
Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver
The Stops
Leaders of The Free World
Great Expectations
Weather To Fly
McGreggor
Switching Off
One Day Like This

Starlings
Newborn
Scattered Black and Whites

Puncture Repair
Grace Under Pressure
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeFri 06 Feb 2009, 10:28

that would be some gig
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeFri 06 Feb 2009, 12:04

By dream setlist, I am thinking... would it be from the songs they usually always play live or songs that they have played live, but havn't played for years? Your dream list, Bloggs15 has twice as many from the last 2 albums, as from the first two. You only included 3 from the first album Shocked and 4 from COTH.

We've been doing a wish list topic recently on the Elbow music part of this forum and before they started touring LOFTW we had lots of suggested setlists RIGHT HERE , but that was before TSSK of course.

Oh and 'Leaders...' Guy said they wouldn't play from now, after all there is a change of Leader ...for the better.

Last edited by lucky with disease on Fri 06 Feb 2009, 12:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeFri 06 Feb 2009, 12:16

Starlings
Bones
Leaders
Red
Grounds
Fugitive Motel
Mirrorball
Great Expectations
An Imagined Affair
Powder Blue
Mexican Standoff
McGreggor
Tower Crane Driver
Don't Mix Your Drinks
Station Approach
One Day Like This

Weather To Fly
Switching Off
Scattered B+W

Puncture Repair
Newborn
Grace
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeFri 06 Feb 2009, 12:26

It would be fun to open with Ribcage, this mini tour instead of Station... or Starlings.
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeFri 06 Feb 2009, 16:14

lucky with disease wrote:
It would be fun to open with Ribcage, this mini tour instead of Station... or Starlings.

i was thinking exactly the same thing. you would have to open with it though. it wouldnt be right anywhere else
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeFri 06 Feb 2009, 16:31

I dunno, I'm happy with the set lists they do. They seem to play all my favourites most of the time, especially on this last tour. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bloggs15
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeSat 07 Feb 2009, 17:15

Lucky, it's if you were doing the setlist for Elbow, what would you like to hear at your dream gig, so it can be whatever you want!
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeSat 07 Feb 2009, 17:19

Bloggs15 wrote:
So I was thinking what would be all of our dream Elbow setlist (if we kept it realistic i.e. 15-22 songs). Mine would be:

Station Approach
Fallen Angel
Forget Myself
Some Riot
Powder Blue
Mirrorball
Grounds For Divorce
Fugitive Motel
Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver
The Stops
Leaders of The Free World
Great Expectations
Weather To Fly
McGreggor
Switching Off
One Day Like This

Starlings
Newborn
Scattered Black and Whites

Puncture Repair
Grace Under Pressure

Add Mexican Standoff to that setlist and I'd be happy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeSun 08 Feb 2009, 09:11

There are too much beautiful Elbow-Tracks but those I don't want to miss are:

Newborn
Red
Fugitive Motel
Great Expectations
Mirrorball
Towercrane driver

and I think they should play those good old noisies again:

Bitten by the Tailfly
Coming Second
George lassoes the moon
Whisper Grass (I know, they never played it before, but I know Mark likes it!!)

I know I should stay realistic, so I say I'm glad if the next concert contains the first noted tracks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeSun 08 Feb 2009, 15:19

Bloggs15 wrote:
Lucky, it's if you were doing the setlist for Elbow, what would you like to hear at your dream gig, so it can be whatever you want!

Laughing Ok, THIS was one of the spring tour setlists, last spring, then in the autumn 'Weather to Fly' and 'Some Riot' from TSSK were added.
Everyone must have seen them play all of TSSK now with the BBC coverage, so my list is a bit different from before, tried to keep some flow and what to have beginning ... end and inbetween.

Ribcage
Red
Towercrane
Great Expectations
Snooks
Don't Mix your drinks
Mirrorball
Audience with the Pope
Picky Bugger
I've got your number
Mexican Standoff
Whisper Grass
Asleep in the back (the song)
Weather to Fly
Forget Myself

Station Approach
Any Day Now
About Time

Newborn

(and not even "George Lassoes the Moon" appearing in my list Shocked ...so as to keep it upbeat, there were also a couple of others I reluctantly left out too)
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeTue 10 Feb 2009, 09:40

I have never heard Asleep in the Back live....in all the years and all the gigs....I hope I get to hear it this time around!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeTue 10 Feb 2009, 12:38

I've seen Elbow a couple of times now and have never heard Asleep in the Back live.

I think if I did, someone would have to scoop me up off the floor after I collapsed into a mushy puddle of emotional goo.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeFri 20 Feb 2009, 10:38

LWD your setlist seems about perfect to me. Very Happy Whisper Grass followed by AITB... Personally I'd replace Audience with the Pope with Can't Stop, but apart from that... I love the idea of finishing with Newborn, rather than having it in the middle of the set - either way I have been known to say there would be a murder committed somewhere if they ever didn't play it. Cool
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeMon 23 Feb 2009, 17:54

It was a very Fine finest hour on the radio last night, the stay on Mull was doing its magic as
'Whisper Grass' got a mention by Guy, as he said he was sat on the very same boulder on the side of the mountain where he wrote the song some years ago.

I know Glendarian, it was really difficult to choose some, if I had put 'Can't Stop' there would have been far more from album 1 than the last in my set. Some, like 'Presuming Ed-rest easy', they want a choir/backing singers for to include it, and I didn't put 'Friend of Ours' in because it would be gut renching for it to be disrespected by all the loud talkers they get in audiences now.
No doubt 'One Day Like This' will have to stay, but not in my setlist Wink
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeMon 23 Feb 2009, 18:20

I must catch that Finest Hour on iPlayer - sounds lovely.

Ooh, I'm getting shivers of anticipation with all this Whisper Grass mentioning going on - although I'm prepared that it may not happen... I love the idea of it being inspired by Mull.

Personally I wouldn't mind an AITB bias, but then I'm biased. Smile I do get the point about the choir, but would love to see Presuming Ed - Rest Easy in all its glory one day - and having heard that live version of Can't Stop recently... I just have never got into Audience with the Pope (surprisingly for a song with an opening line like that one Wink ) so you could substitute it with anything for me. <ducks and runs> Actually I've just realised Macgreggor isn't there so perhaps we could compromise on that one? Wink

It's a pity when we have to tailor wishlists for ignorant talkers but I know what you mean (I suppose it can only get worse now they're more famous (Elbow not the talkers)). It was a great feeling of revenge at the last gig, when I had some dreadful gasbags behind me but even they couldn't compete with the end of Newborn Cool
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeMon 23 Feb 2009, 19:22

Wonder why they haven't done Asleep In The Back live? scratch

It's such a beautiful song and would lend itself to the acoustic session type treatment, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeMon 23 Feb 2009, 20:27

I'd love a first two albums airing... give them songs a chance to shine again!
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeMon 23 Feb 2009, 20:58

Sarah wrote:
I'd love a first two albums airing... give them songs a chance to shine again!

As a fairly recent convert, I'd love to hear some of the older stuff get an airing.

It's my own fault really, I should have got into them sooner, I've been waiting a long time for a band this good and somehow contrived to miss the first three albums scratch Laughing
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeMon 23 Feb 2009, 21:30

They are the only band i can really claim to have been in on relatively quick off the bat!
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeThu 09 Apr 2009, 20:50

heshofcheese wrote:

It's such a beautiful song and would lend itself to the acoustic session type treatment, in my opinion.

They have, they were playing it autumn 2001 dates, but gave it up by the Barfly Camden Monarch, London
19 December 2001 was the last time they played it live in the UK, I believe, and 23 February 2002 Virgin, San Francisco, CA, the last time in USA.

They were playing George Lassoes the Moon and Don't mix your drinks also then, and sometimes About Time and The Crow, semi-acoustic, for radio or instore.

I missed seeing them do these songs live in the early shows, they had changed the set a bit by the time I first saw them.
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2011, 09:54

heshofcheese wrote:

They have, they were playing it autumn 2001 dates, but gave it up by the Barfly Camden Monarch, London
19 December 2001 was the last time they played it live in the UK, I believe, and 23 February 2002 Virgin, San Francisco, CA, the last time in USA.

It certainly wasn’t played at the Newcastle Uni leg of the Autumn tour, probably not helped by the fact it didn’t come out till after the tour in 2002?

However time and alcohol may be catching up with me, it was only 9-10 years ago…
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2011, 12:35

Ha you properly unearthed this one! I was only answering your question about the song 'Asleep in the back' when I referred back to it.
This thread was started in 2009 when Elbow had already been touring TSSK for a year and were doing a mini spring tour, and we were exercising our imaginations!
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2011, 12:40

Ha you properly unearthed this one! I was only answering your question about the song 'Asleep in the back' when I referred back to it.
This thread was started in 2009 when Elbow had already been touring TSSK for a year and were doing a mini spring tour, and we were exercising our imaginations!

aye, thanks for the heads up... i missed this one first time round i think... still not convinced, will put it down to beer and the years taking the toll on my mind! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2011, 12:51

[quote="lucky with disease"]
heshofcheese wrote:

They were playing George Lassoes the Moon and Don't mix your drinks also then, and sometimes About Time and The Crow, semi-acoustic, for radio or instore.

They played George Lassoes the Moon as a one off treat at the Shepherds Bush Empire gig in London back in late 2004... same night they debuted a working in progress they had called 'mexican standoff'...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dream Setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Setlist   Dream Setlist Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dream Setlist
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next