elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Movies/DVDs

Go down 
+28
JessieAddick
NeonChoir
Kayleigh
josephblack
mrswoman
Mr_K
Misspelt Yoof
TamedLamia
Lesley Gilks
Tailfly
Grant
Jones
ElbowFreak
ticky
bluejayway
Mr Woman
al
fadeupyoursmile
Calum
Ted
ChrissyBoy
Hotblack
JulieinTX
Skeletor
Dabamash
MagicalTrevor
Jonny
ChrissieInFL
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 23:10

bluejayway wrote:
Again thanks soooooo much for the trailer. It looks like it may be one of my fave films ever Very Happy It looks simply magical and it's in 3D ahhh!!!

You are most welcome - happy to share! And the 3-D is really good - not that crap they used to have back in the day. The digital version is lookin' sweeeeeet.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 12 Aug 2009, 02:42

Animation geekdom ahoy! The new Hayao Miyazaki film, Ponyo, will be released here at the end of this week. Hoping to get a look at it if I get the chance - been looking forward to it! Also, was forced to watch Mamma Mia with some friends of mine the other night. It was nauseating. Nothing against ABBA, they had some really classic pop tunes back in the day...but whoever thought it'd be a good idea to let Pierce Brosnan sing in a film ought to be tarred and feathered. And then shot. And drawn and quartered, just to make sure it never happens again.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Oct 2009, 15:25

Finally got to see Where The Wild Things Are last weekend. My daughter loved it, and so did I, but it really isn't a film for younger kids. Unlike the book, it is quite intense in its portrayal of Max as a real wild child, and the Wild Things themselves might be too much for little ones. I think a lot of parents are going to be upset about this, but as far as the quality of the movie itself is concerned, I was thrilled with it! Terrific work by director Spike Jonze and also by Dave Eggers, whose screenplay was excellent. And the young actor who portrays Max is phenomenal; his name is Max Records and he did a stellar job. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Nov 2009, 16:34

Hmmm...I seem to be the only one who ever posts on this thread anymore! Laughing But anyway...

Just saw the Danny Boyle sci-fi thriller Sunshine on DVD last weekend. I'd wanted to see it when it was out in the cinema but never had the chance. I liked it, but didn't love it. The first half or so was fantastic, filled with real tension and suspense. The latter bit let me down. Not to post spoliers for anyone who hasn't yet seen it, but it seemed to me that the whole focus of the film shifted at the end, and not for the better. Sort of a bait-and-switch approach in the story, IMHO. But it was still worth a couple hours of my time and a few bucks rental fee!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan 2010, 13:49

Tracklisting has been revelaed for the soundtrack of the new Tim Burton version of Alice in Wonderland, and it is set to feature the first-ever solo recording by the Cure's Robert Smith. Also featured are Franz Ferdinand, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, Wolfmother, and a slew of crappy tween-bait artists (Owl Shitty City, Avril Lavigne, All-American Rejects, ad nauseum).

This is the first omen of bad things I have seen regarding this film - if Burton's soundtrack looks this way I have to assume he's gunning for the "young adult" audiences, which would not be cool. They already have Twilight/New Moon to salivate over, and I hope he doesn't pander to them. But then again, this will certainly introduce some of them to the old school awesomeness of Robert Smith and the Cure, so that's a bonus! Details available here for anyone who wants 'em: http://www.spinner.com/2010/01/12/robert-smith-alice-in-wonderland/
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jan 2010, 19:18

I saw the trailer in 3D and it looks amazing! Johnny Depp in all his glory. Can't wait! sunny

Last film I saw at the cinema was Sherlock Holmes and I loved it, would go and see it again if I had half the chance.
Lesley
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jan 2010, 22:14

Lesley Gilks wrote:
Last film I saw at the cinema was Sherlock Holmes and I loved it, would go and see it again if I had half the chance.
Lesley

Haven't seen Sherolock Holmes but I've heard loads of good things about it, and I hope I'll catch it before it leaves the theatres here. I did just get to see Up In The Air this past weekend - wonderful film, and George Clooney was outstanding, as were the two female leads (one was Vera Farmiga and the other one escapes me at the moment). Great story and excellent acting.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jan 2010, 19:42

being a year behind the rest of the world. i finally watched Slumdog Millionaire the other night. It was much better than i expected. I guess the oscar success should have given me a clue, although that doesn't always ring true.

Movies on Sky have generally been pretty poor lately though.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jan 2010, 20:33

Mmm, funny... I didn't like that one at all... found it very predictable...
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jan 2010, 21:45

Any of you happy people seen Avatar yet? What did you think?
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jan 2010, 22:10

Loved it - I want to be a 10' blue person with a tail!
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 07:02

I enjoyed it too and after a while, you forget that it's in 3D. I did think that it would have been better if they had also digitised the live action sections as it jarred a little and I could tell the difference. But saying that, I thought it was very entertaining.
The cinema we go to, have proper plastic glasses that you can re-use and I found that a big help. I have astigmatism and find it hard on the eyes, so well fitting glasses are a boon.
Lesley
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 11 Feb 2010, 22:32

Oh maaaan....just looked at the newest trailer for Pixar's Toy Story 3 and I am now DYING to see it. Looks like it'll be something really special for anyone who loved the first 2 Toy Story films (and heads up to all the Miyazaki fans in da house, Totoro makes a very brief cameo @ 48 seconds in!). Can't embed it but you can see it by clicking here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF59DBmYAq4
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 12 Feb 2010, 00:07

I still haven't seen Toy Story 2 - I keep meaning to watch it, but haven't got round to it yet.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Feb 2010, 08:23

Watched with mom the premiere of the reconstructed "Metropolis" at the TV.
Amazing! Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Feb 2010, 12:40

Seen a few of the award favourites over the past few weeks. The pick for me was Up In The Air. An Education was also brilliant.

I expected to love Precious, but just couldn't get into it properly, not really sure why.

I'm still refusing to watch Avatar.
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Feb 2010, 19:31

I've seen Up in the air, too. Think it's a really great film. I wanted to give George (Ryan Smile) a huge hug... Not such a happy end for him.

At the moment I'm watching Bollywood movies again! Very Happy Shahrukh Khan (for those who don't know him - he's probably more successful than Brat Pitt and robert pattinson together *LOL*) has been at the Berlinale with his new movie "my name is Khan". I'm really looking forward seeing it! Smile
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2010, 13:14

Saw Alice in Wonderland yesterday.. Loved it! I've seen mixed reviews but now that I've seen the film itself, I think Tim Burton did a magnificent job. And, according to my daughter, it was "the best movie anyone has ever made ever", so you can take that endorsement for what it's worth! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 08 Mar 2010, 13:11

Just watched "Up" on Blu-Ray with my 5 year old. He loved the colours, talking dogs and Kevin. I cried, yes cried real tears at the opening 5 minute montage. As a piece of lucid, poignant storytelling it is heasrtbreakingly effective and despite being an animation, utterly rooted in the real world.

The rest of the movie, thankfully, cannot match that emotional intensity and is actually rather average (by Pixar's ultra-high standards) although perfectly enjoyable, but that opening prologue means that you have a real emotional investment in the lead character, which lends the movie an extra depth.
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 08 Mar 2010, 13:42

I went to see the Banksy approved, "documentary", 'Exit Through The Gift Shop'. It is brilliantly funny and very watchable, even for those who have no interest in 'steet art'.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Mar 2010, 22:35

Mr_K wrote:
Just watched "Up" on Blu-Ray with my 5 year old. He loved the colours, talking dogs and Kevin. I cried, yes cried real tears at the opening 5 minute montage. As a piece of lucid, poignant storytelling it is heasrtbreakingly effective and despite being an animation, utterly rooted in the real world.

The rest of the movie, thankfully, cannot match that emotional intensity and is actually rather average (by Pixar's ultra-high standards) although perfectly enjoyable, but that opening prologue means that you have a real emotional investment in the lead character, which lends the movie an extra depth.

Still need to watch my copy of this, but it was magic in the cinema. And I lost it during the opening as well, Mr_K! Crying or Very sad

Went with some friends the other evening to see Crazy Heart, with Jeff Bridges. It was a good enough story, but the only truly exceptional thing about it was Jeff Bridges' performance. He definitely deserved his Best Actor award - he was dynamite.
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 05 Apr 2010, 14:06

Still need to get around to watching Up.

Last night Mr W & I went to a mate's house and ened up watching 'Once', which is quite old now after its 2006 release. For others who haven't seen it, it's a low-budget indie romance featuring music as the central theme. It stars Glen Hansard - also seen as one of The Commitments 15 years previously - who has a superb voice and clear song-writing talent.

If you like indie folk, you might enjoy the OST, with it's Oscar-winning song also written by Hansard, 'Falling Slowly'.
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 18:48

All parents and Pixar geeks, get ready! I know y'all in the UK will need to wait until next month to see it, but Toy Story 3 is just freaking awesome. Saw it with my kid this past weekend, and it was everything I hoped it would be, as a long-time fan of the Toy Story franchise. I don't want to say much so I don't ruin anything for those of you who are looking forward to it. But I will say that if you have the option of either seeing it in 3-D or not, it really isn't worth it for the 3-D version. The visuals (forthe most part)don't need it. And one small caveat - if you have really young kids (maybe 5 yrs. old or younger) there are some scenes which may be a bit much for them, so heads up.
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 06 Jul 2010, 20:39

Just seen A single man. Great movie. Truly deserved the Oscar nomination. And Tom Ford did a great job.
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 07 Aug 2010, 21:52

We seem to be living at the cinema at the moment.
Inception - Disappointing
Toy Story 3D - Blubbed like a baby. Loved it
Shrek Forever - Very funny
Robin Hood - Boring
Alice In Wonderland - another hit from the Burton/Depp/Carter stable
Iron Man 2 - Fantastic! Along with Kevin Spacey, Robert Downey Jnr is my favourite actor and he always delivers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Movies/DVDs
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next