elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Movies/DVDs

Go down 
+28
JessieAddick
NeonChoir
Kayleigh
josephblack
mrswoman
Mr_K
Misspelt Yoof
TamedLamia
Lesley Gilks
Tailfly
Grant
Jones
ElbowFreak
ticky
bluejayway
Mr Woman
al
fadeupyoursmile
Calum
Ted
ChrissyBoy
Hotblack
JulieinTX
Skeletor
Dabamash
MagicalTrevor
Jonny
ChrissieInFL
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 11 Aug 2010, 19:35

Lesley Gilks wrote:
Inception - Disappointing

You know, expectations/hype for this movie were so huge, I'm sorta not too surprised that it was a letdown for ya. Haven't seen it myself yet and haven't even decided that I want to. Was it still worth seeing, or was it really not worth the bother at all?

Also, I'm wondering whether or not I'll like the new Edgar Wright joint, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. It could be really good, and from what I have read, it's got a killer soundtrack if nothing else. But it could also be one of those flicks that cannot possibly live up to its pre-release hype.
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010, 00:34

I think you pretty much summed it up, with regards to Inception. The way they said how special it was, I was expecting another Matrix. It never really got going for me.
I regret not seeing some films that I now regard as firm favourites, so I'm glad that I made the effort to go and see it.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010, 07:53

Inception - I enjoyed it, but it is overhyped.

At least it has a plot, and one that was written by someone with a working brain. For Hollywood at the moment that is a plus in itself. There is some stuff that doesn't quite add up, but there are a few thought provoking moments and ideas too, which is nice to see in what is essentially a blockbuster. Visually it is good, but not as spectacular as some have said, DiCaprio and Hardy are always good value, and the rest of the cast do a perfectly OK job. All in all good solid enjoyable entertainment, but not a classic IMO.

Shrek Forever was awful. I did laugh, but the whole thing felt tired and forced. Time to put Shrek out of its misery I think.

Toy Story 3 - I am going with my 5 year old at the weekend and I am so excited. I 'll take a hanky because I know I will cry like a great big baby. Brilliant.

P.S. The Inception soundtrack features guitar by the genius that is Johnny Marr!
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010, 09:14

Mr_K wrote:

P.S. The Inception soundtrack features guitar by the genius that is Johnny Marr!

Does he do a version of "Last Night I Dreamt ( within a dream, within a dream) Somebody Loved Me"?

Boo-Boom. Tish.
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010, 10:04

Yeah, Inception has a great plot and visually it's stunning. I'm not that keen on Leonardo and for me, he was the weak link.
There are a few Hollywood actors that I feel don't deserve the money, Tom Cruise, Matt Damon and Christian Bale among others.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010, 11:56

Leonardo DiCaprio - I used to think he was awful, but sometime in the last few years he's turned into a really solid actor (IMO) without me noticing. He can do emotion without having to completely overdo it. He has a real presence - he's quite a big bloke and that physical weight is somehow felt on the screen.

Agree with you about the others though.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010, 19:11

Mr Woman wrote:
Mr_K wrote:

Does he do a version of "Last Night I Dreamt ( within a dream, within a dream) Somebody Loved Me"?

Boo-Boom. Tish.

Laughing

OK, thanks all for the input on Inception, I may just go see it anyway, but at least I'll know not to expect anything mind-blowing. As for Leo DiCaprio, the first time I saw him was in What's Eating Gilbert Grape (with my homeboy Johnny Depp), and I thought he was quite good in a role that might've been tough for some actors to handle well. He's been up and down for me through the years and I agree that he's not really worth the big blockbuster dollars he rakes in. Nobody really is - wish they'd give the mega-star money to the actors who really do consistently solid work, like Philip Seymour Hoffman or Paul Giamatti or Don Cheadle.
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010, 19:18

I'm been on a cut price D.V.D buying spree and picked up Moon and District 9 for next to nothing. I thought that both films were great with very interesting plots. Didn't know the actors involved but both films were made on a shoe-string budget with rookie directors, which just goes to show that you don't need big bucks to make entertaining films.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010, 09:31

Lesley Gilks wrote:
I'm been on a cut price D.V.D buying spree and picked up Moon and District 9 for next to nothing. I thought that both films were great with very interesting plots. Didn't know the actors involved but both films were made on a shoe-string budget with rookie directors, which just goes to show that you don't need big bucks to make entertaining films.

Good films them 2.
District 9 had a decent budget ($30M) but nothing compared to Inception, and really made the most of that money. The bit at the end with the metal flower is really touching.

Moon really did have a modest budget ($5M) but then it was a different sort of film. One of my favourites of the last couple of years actually. Really thought provoking and deeply moving. Like the very best SciFi it used a futuristic situation to explore some fundamental human issues - in this case the very nature of humanity. Brilliant movie.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 23 Aug 2010, 12:06

Saw The Expendables at the weekend on a freebie. Quite enjoyed it, but would have resented paying £8 or whatever. It is rubbish. Stupid, senseless, macho rubbish, but at least leavened a bit by a sense of its own ridiculousness and some occasional humour. Dumb fun - but mostly just dumb.

Some nice cinematography at times, though.

On the subject of stupid films - has anyone seen Piranha 3D? It seems to be getting rave reviews for being the ultimate B movie - Rotten Tomatoes rates it at 81% and says "Playing exactly to expectations for a movie about killer fish run amok, Piranha 3-D dishes out gore, guffaws and gratuitous nudity with equal glee."

Worth a look?

And finally, talking of cinematography, there is a sequence in the Argentinian film "The Secret In Their Eyes" which is simply breathtaking. Seemingly shot in a single take, this is technically as good as anything Scorcese or De Palma - masters of this sort of thing - ever did. The film itself is a good-un - kind of like a traditional film noir, perhaps a little less "deep" than some are making out, but maybe that's just my British perspective. Thoroughly enjoyable, though.
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 23 Aug 2010, 13:35

Haven't actually seen the film this review is about, but it sounds way less entertaining than its Grauniad writeup by all accounts. If you're of a politically-correct disposition, look away now:

Guardian reviews "The Last Airbender"

Fnarr fnarr.
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 23 Aug 2010, 15:41

mrswoman wrote:
Haven't actually seen the film this review is about, but it sounds way less entertaining than its Grauniad writeup by all accounts. If you're of a politically-correct disposition, look away now:

Guardian reviews "The Last Airbender"

Fnarr fnarr.

Laughing Yeah, rather unfortunate how the phraseology changes once it hits the UK, huh? But this movie was just as funny here, simply because it was so laughably awful.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2010, 16:48

Hubby and I took the young'un to see Megamind, and though it was meant to be a kid's flick, he and I enjoyed it a bit more than the kid did. It just had a bunch of themes and humor that adults might catch more than kids will. I was honestly surprised that I liked it; usually anything animated that's not Pixar or Studio Ghibli makes me wanna barf, but this was actually entertaining.

Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2010, 20:30

Just come back from 'Harry Potter..... It's very Lord of the Ringsy this one.
Back to top Go down
josephblack
friend of ours
friend of ours
josephblack

Male Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Dec 2010, 09:35

Went to see 'Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale' last night. A lovely dark tale about Santa...
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 31 Dec 2010, 14:43

watched E.T with my 10 year old daughter...."its not as good as Harry Potter, Dad"
Laughing
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 02 Jan 2011, 09:41

Well, it's not a movie but a TV-series. Who else loves Sledge Hammer? *LOL*
It's so weired that it's cool. Very Happy
And: trust me, I know what I'm doing. Wink
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Jan 2011, 18:40

Hangover!!!
This movie will be great even in 10 years!
I had such a laugh during it. So funny... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jan 2011, 13:57

Series, not a ilm, but really go back into Chuck, bought the 3 seasons that are on DVD at the start of the week, sad to say i've nearly finished them all Sad
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 29 Jan 2011, 17:34

Who's seen TRON - The Legacy???
I did yesterday and I'm still on adrenaline thinking about it. WOW, what a movie. This puts sci-fi on another level...
And the Daft Punk soundtrack - I've never been into Duft Punk but in connection with this movie it's mindblowing...
Back to top Go down
Kayleigh
little beast
little beast
Kayleigh

Female Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 25 Feb 2011, 13:39

ElbowFreak wrote:
Who's seen TRON - The Legacy???
I did yesterday and I'm still on adrenaline thinking about it. WOW, what a movie. This puts sci-fi on another level...
And the Daft Punk soundtrack - I've never been into Duft Punk but in connection with this movie it's mindblowing...

Yeah I saw Tron, it was amazing, the effects I thought were brilliant Smile

The lat film I saw was Paul on Saturday and it was really funny, I recommend it to anyone who likes Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz!

Has anyone here seen The King's Speech, it's incredible, my favourite film of 2011 so far Very Happy
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 12 Mar 2011, 16:20

On the way to Katy for a Pep Band trip I was on earlier this week, we watched "The A-Team," which one of the cheer squad members had brought. I had been worried about watching it previously, given what I knew of it from the TV series. That movie was, surprisingly, quite good. I really enjoyed it. Very Happy

Also, in the hotel we were staying at, I was hanging with a couple of girl friends, and I watched "Steel Magnolias" for the first time. It's a moving film, and although I myself didn't cry, I recommend it to anyone who hasn't watched it and loves a tearjerker.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 12 Mar 2011, 20:49

Oh Lord! Tearjerker you say?
I was watching 'Hachi - a dog's tale' a couple of weeks ago and I cried so much my little boy came downstairs looking alarmed and asking me what was wrong...
Answer:

(Sob) The
(Sob) Movie
(Sob) is
(Sob) very
(Sob) Sad!!!
(Sob)
Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Smiley-sad010
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Mar 2011, 00:12

We had rented "Hachi" at one point. I myself didn't watch it, but my mom did, and she herself was reduced to tears.

Jones, have you ever seen "Chestnut?" It's similar to "Hachi" in the sense that it's a dog movie. I came extremely close to crying on that one near the end. My mom did, and that was the second time she had watched it.
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 07 Jun 2011, 19:36

I didn't cry on hatchi...

But what really gives me goosebumps is Reign over me with Adam Sandler. Neutral
It's not like you have to cry, it's just such a heavy stuff. And Sandler surprised me. He should Play serious roles more often. Maybe when he's older...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Movies/DVDs - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Movies/DVDs
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next