elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

WEM-BER-LEE

Go down 
+28
Cozzer
josephblack
mozo
tomo28
fadeupyoursmile
evilpixie
russycarps
Mrs Soft
Stockhaus
Kim
lapitu
comalley2007
Dabamash
Alison
al
lucky with disease
ElbowFreak
ladytubedriver
ChrissyBoy
wozza
Grant
Jones
Emma G
MagicalTrevor
Jonny
mrswoman
Hotblack
Misspelt Yoof
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 21:25

By the way, thanks for sharing those photos with us evilpixie, they're really good! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 21:53

So jealous of those of you who went! Wish I could've been there!

Interesting to see the reactions from everyone about the fact they are in the big venues now...I'm also of 2 minds about it. If any band deserves arena-sized success, it's Elbow, and I'm tickled to see them playing places like Wembley because it means they've finally got people's attention! But if you've been along for the ride since Asleep In The Back...it's a bit hard to see them suddenly belong to everybody, after they were "ours" for so long! And nothing beats seeing them in a smaller setting, so here's hoping they always make time for gigs in places like those even though they're a big deal now!
Back to top Go down
Emma G
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 22:04

Well I went along last night with a few doubts and fears - what would the sound be like? Would there be loads of half hearted fans talking and spoling the experience? Would it all feel "too big" (so to speak) ?!! I needn't have worried. I thought that it was one of the most amazing gigs that I have ever been to - full of love and emotion. The sound was fantastic, the crowd around me almost reverential and respectful and somehow Guy made it feel like the venue was tiny. At one point I completely forgot that I was just one of thousands there enjoying the most sublime musical experience - I just forgot that there were thousands of people behind me! The band's success is a fabulous testement as to what can be achieved by sheer tenancity and perseverence (oh - and a smattering of talent of course!!) and I couldn't be more chuffed for them. I didn't like it - I LOVED it! But now have a serious case of post gig blues - roll on Summer and V Festival!!

Last edited by Emma G on Mon 16 Mar 2009, 12:36; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 22:05

tomo28 wrote:
does anyone know the setlist they played.. if so please post here and on www.GigSetList.com
theres a couple of similar sets on their but not the exact one... i wish i wrote it down.

If you read the whole thread you'll find the set list.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2009, 08:51

What a night! I'd been to the Newport gig two days before - this had been the first time for me and it was a wonderful, intimate fabulous night. I've got to say that, surprisingly, Wembley felt the same. Even with thousands and thousands more people, it still had a sense of warmth and friendship that I haven't experienced at a concert for years. The boys looked like they were having a blast as well. WELL DONE - You were outstanding!
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2009, 10:34

In case you missed it in another thread here's The Times' review...

The Times wrote:
For the five members of Elbow, the road to Wembley has taken 19 years, two name changes and a sense of self-belief to rival that of chart-topping rappers. Not that the Manchester band have become big-headed since the breakthrough success of their fourth album, The Seldom Seem Kid, a platinum seller that won the Mercury Music Prize last year and bagged Elbow the Best British Band award at last month’s Brits.

“This is not the first time we’ve played an arena,” announced the portly, unshaven singer Guy Garvey, when the tidal wave of applause that greeted their arrival finally subsided. “We once did a gig at a roller-skating rink in Bury called Arena.”

Quite how tiny venues ever coped with Elbow’s epic soundscapes is now impossible to imagine. Certainly, it’s hard to think of a band better suited to a vast stage. The opener, Starlings, set the mood to majestic: there was choral backing, a string quartet, stabs of brass and vocals so passionate that they made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. That they came from a bloke who looks like a builder was even more astonishing.

The place Elbow hold in the hearts of their fans was obvious from a glance round the crowd. Dads had come with their kids — to show them, no doubt, how a real band should sound and teenagers punched the air alongside euphoric forty- and fiftysomethings. Yet it was clear that a significant percentage had yet to discover the band’s back catalogue. When Garvey invited the audience to sing the recurring line “don’t look down” from the sublime The Stops, from Elbow’s third album, Leaders of the Free World, most either missed their cue or forgot the words.

They fared better at the chance to appear on the next album. “It seems strange to have such a big choir at our disposal and do nothing with it,” said Garvey, as he sat on a stool with an acoustic guitar. He conducted the crowd through four lines from a work in progress, recorded to feature in a future chorus. The band have done this before, at Glastonbury in 2002, for their second album, Cast of Thousands. That they could now afford a professional choir but still opt for fans is part of their appeal.

Mostly though, Elbow are adored for music so masterfully crafted that sections of each song seemed to slot together like a jigsaw. Even the most lavish, complexly arranged parts of The Seldom Seen Kid sounded exactly as they do on record — rare in an age when studio trickery is all but expected.

Of nine tracks taken from that album in a set that came close to two hours, highlights included the grinding, guitar-driven Grounds for Divorce; a great guest appearance from Richard Hawley on The Fix; Bones of You, on which the string section switched to synchronised shaking of neon maracas; and Weather to Fly. The latter began with the band gathered around the pianist Craig Potter, toasting the crowd with a round of vodka shots and ended with Garvey hopping off stage to shake hands with fans.

A handful of old numbers, notably the shimmering, six-year-old ballad Switching off and the psychedelic blast of Newborn, proved that Elbow have always had the potential to be hugely commercial. That it has taken so long has to do with a series of company blunders that would have sapped the soul from most bands.

One Day Like This, the hit that edged Elbow into the mainstream, closed this spectacular show in a storm of confetti blown from six cannon and a terrace chant-style singalong that almost drowned out the band.

Rarely in pop has the wait been so worth it.
Back to top Go down
lapitu
fallen angel
fallen angel

Female Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2009, 13:11

all back home and set after that trip to england this weekend, I'll have some pictures and videos of the show, too.

but I just wanted to say, and I dunno if she or anyone who knows her is here, but HI! and a big THANK YOU! to the nice lady with her friend glen, who would let me in front of her cause she knew I couldn't see every single thing because of her friend - I'm the girl from Austria (the one who missed the bus and got to the airport at 9.50 with the plane leaving at 10) with the Swedish friend.
I still feel bad about standing in front of you then, but hey, you practically forced me to! thank you so much. you were suddenly gone, which was really too bad. but thankyouthankyouthankyou!

most things have been said about the gig - I don't really have any words for it. the best I can come up with right now, when thinking back, is that it simply was a brilliant performance by an oustanding band.

what I need to say tho: you lovely English people!! from the tube guy who helped us with our travel cards beause we didn't have zone 3 and 4 to everyone else helping us, explaining where to go and how to get there exactly, from the nice lady telling us where to go to the standing area - without us asking, just like that - to the lovely gal who would let me stand in her place, just so I could see really everything. you'd hardly get anyone being nice like that here, I wish there'd be more people like that here.
this was an incredible experience, with all the travelling, 24 hours in london were way too short, but it was so worth it. the whole way it was organized at wembley still blows me away and I wish concert people would do that here, too. but most of all, I wish I could turn back time and be there again and again.

thank you and elbow and everyone and... (I'm getting sentimental, can you tell?)

anyways. videos and pictures shall show up, later. just needed to get that off my chest. Very Happy

pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danicoopers/sets/72157615375419314/

video 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjkaNHK1Goc one day like this; the end with the fancy stuff flying around;
video 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOB4GEkxzWw station approach

Last edited by lapitu on Mon 16 Mar 2009, 17:44; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : link for pictures. & video! & another video!)
Back to top Go down
Emma G
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2009, 13:29

"That they came from a bloke who looks like a builder was even more astonishing".

Really made me laugh - and whilst I know what's meant - I really wish the bloke who's currently working at my house looked like Mr Garvey!!
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2009, 18:17

Emma G wrote:
I really wish the bloke who's currently working at my house looked like Mr Garvey!!

lol!
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2009, 21:49

just got back from London.

the gig was fucking fantastic. as many have said even though there was loads of people there it still felt like a small intimate gig. I got some photos and some great videos of whole songs PLUS the arena singing for the new album that i will put out on youtube as we speak!

i'll update you with photos and stuff when im done.
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2009, 22:29

Hope you, or someone else puts Mexican Standoff with Elbow formation clapping on their video wall on youtube, theres loads of some of the other songs but can't see that one.
Theres some great photo opportunities been used with the Wembley video wall on flickr.

I tried to record the string quartet playing beforehand, but the little camera I have struggled in the dark again. I put the better sounding recording of one of the 4 elbow songs on my youtube page anyway, but it would be nice to hear a good recording.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2009, 23:31

no i did not get Mexican Standoff. I was to busy clapping to record.

I do have full recordings of Newborn (+ the new song bit), on a day like this, Towercrane driver, Leaders of the free world, the stops and two part from Weather to fly when Guy sings "are we having the time of our lifes" in the beginning and everyone is shouting back + when he went down into the crowd and shaked hands with everyone.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2009, 13:43

Good lord...been looking @ loads of clips on YouTube and am absolutely heartbroken that I missed this! They sounded fantastic. And to think they'll be supporting Coldplay over here later this year. No question they should be headlining after seeing how well they pulled off Wembley - but I'm afraid we have things the wrong way round here. Still praying that they'll find the time to do a smaller show on their own while they're in Florida w/Chris Martin and co...
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2009, 13:54

I'm actually NOT looking at clips because I will get too upset that I missed it!

Might even stop watching this topic...
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2009, 23:08

yeah you did miss out on a fab night
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2009, 23:31

WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 6
WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 8
WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 9
WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 7

just a fwe photos of mine.
im trying to upload the videos but youtube is crap so im turning to something else to help me to show you!
Back to top Go down
birchy
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2009, 02:31

Thanks everyone for the pics.

I was there too and it was amazing. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2009, 09:01

Actually - I think you were standing behind me! I'll say it again - what a night!

Did anyone get any video of Mexican Standoff?
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2009, 09:15

So can anyone confirm or deny if there are plans afoot to release this on DVD?
Back to top Go down
Emma G
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2009, 12:51

Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2009, 13:07

Nice review. I remember Sarah and I once decided elbow could only be described through oxymorons - intimately epic is a perfect one!
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2009, 19:18

Great review and yes, I thought the family snaps during SB&W of all the band as youngsters was a wonderful touch!
How cute was that pic of Mark and Craig as little boys?!!!
Absolutely fab concert, loved every minute of it!
Back to top Go down
Jozzy
newborn
newborn
Jozzy

Male Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-03-18

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2009, 19:39

A truly magical night last Saturday. Too many highlights to list. cant wait for next gig and album. How long have I waited for a night like this!
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2009, 20:10

Jozzy wrote:
How long have I waited for a night like this!
One a year will see you right. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jozzy
newborn
newborn
Jozzy

Male Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-03-18

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2009, 20:35

Misspelt Yoof wrote:
Jozzy wrote:
How long have I waited for a night like this!
One a year will see you right. Smile

And its only now I see the light. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WEM-BER-LEE
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: elbow live-
Jump to: