elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Next Album (already!)...

Go down 
+4
elbowismymuse
My Bury Vest
saferdrunk
errant
8 posters
AuthorMessage
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

The Next Album (already!)... Empty
PostSubject: The Next Album (already!)...   The Next Album (already!)... Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 14:41

the same day BARB is out the lads are talking about the next album on radio2... wouldnt be disappointed to hear jupps (& guys) "thunderous drums" elbow album... haha!!!

heavy elbow is good imho.... bounce
Back to top Go down
saferdrunk
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: The Next Album (already!)...   The Next Album (already!)... Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 16:35

Any details?
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: The Next Album (already!)...   The Next Album (already!)... Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 16:58

Death Metal Lite with a Lancastrian twist, a la Slipknot ? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The Next Album (already!)...   The Next Album (already!)... Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 01:08

One of the reasons I love Elbow is because they're not noisy and bombastic. Whatever they do, they need to maintain their restraint and subtlety. They have done this across five albums and no two of their songs sound the same, so monotony is never a worry.

Dano made a comment in the BARB thread about the lack of guitar here. They've never been a prominently guitar-driven band because, quite honestly, they are more interested in experimenting with sound, rather than sticking anything at the front; bass and piano are prominent here, but guitars were more prominent on Leaders, Seldom Seen had so many different instruments, nothing was pushed forward, although brass and strings featured heavily.

The next album should IMO tell a story from beginning to end and make room for a slightly heavier song, a pathetic fallacy perhaps? I' would want it to sound perhaps more dramatic than Build, maybe even combining elements of more theatrical rock, opera, and classical music. A heavy guitar would not be unwelcome at times and I think we should hear more of ALL of the boys, multi-layered vocals, etc; maybe even solos?

I know what you're thinking! Queen in Elbow form? Opposite ends of the spectrum! I don't expect this at all... Elbow don't have Queen's image or personality. Both bands are musical genii, but Elbow are subtler...

ELO and Pink Floyd also fit the above and are either of these bands like Queen? Or vice versa? Elbow can still stay Elbow. They're too unique not to.

They can be a bit dirtier though (Mexican Standoff? Grounds for Divorce?) and still put on a show. Their songs have always had narrative drive and they've always been an album band- this wouldn't be a huge departure. A bit bolder in true Elbow subtle form.... Not a huge ask, surely? Wink

They've done the present and the past. They've covered things that actually happened to them. Now, they could look to the future and be asking questions. The next album doesn't need to be event-driven. It could be a speculative, hypothetical, symbolic journey into the future. Garvey mentioned a hatred of the way old people are treated in society. This could be used. What do these guys feel about middle age? Getting old? Dying? What do they think lies beyond that? Macabre? Perhaps, but it could just be philosophical. They've done specific. Now let's see a wider view...from all five of them. A song about the way an old couple communicate of an evening....how perhaps Garvey envisages he and Emma will be in 30 years time.....this could hone in on specifics, perhaps lighten it up in places, a la Jesus is a Rochdale Girl.... but we could have some serious, heavier themes in there too. Let's face it; Elbow are marvellous at juxtaposing the specific and the mundane with the life-and-death, existentialist stuff.... Switching Off followed by Not a Job anyone? Loneliness followed by The Fix? They do it all the time.

I think the next album could be their most exciting; they're saying "Hello, this is who we've been for the last 20 years", to new fans with Build, a nod and a "Haven't we, guys?" to their long-time fans. Now more people know them, who do they think they WILL be? What do they think about x, y and z? What do they find funny, sad, frightening or exciting about the future?

This is all a bit too early anyway... I know *they've* spoken about it, but only they know what logical direction they need to or want to move in next. I have a feeling that they will remain themselves though. They may expand and experiment, and perhaps the next album will be a little bolder, a tad louder and more outspoken.... I will be very surprised if they lose their subtlety though, lose their intelligence, and produce bombast for bombast's sake. Or ditch their gentle side for incessant aggression. It won't happen. A slightly raised voice, a more dramatic feel, perhaps even their darkest album yet.... (Build, contrary to journalistic conjecture, is NOT dark in the slightest; Asleep and Cast were far darker, as was Seldom, actually).

Whatever happens, they'll remain immense. I just know it. Smile
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: The Next Album (already!)...   The Next Album (already!)... Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 09:10

elbowismymuse - great post mate - which I could articulate as detailed as that.

As long as they stay true to themselves and continue to make moving, meaningful music, I'll be a happy vest.
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: The Next Album (already!)...   The Next Album (already!)... Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 09:23

saferdrunk wrote:
Any details?

i think they were just joking... just a bit of banter by the drummers union between mark radcliffe and jupp (and guy stirring, lol!)... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: The Next Album (already!)...   The Next Album (already!)... Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 10:37

The next album should be called 'Orbit The Earth Lads', or something similar in keeping with the Rule Of Four* which states all Elbow album titles must have four words**.

This rule is the reason why 'Lippy Kids' was abandoned in favour of 'Build A Rocket Boys'.

* Rule invented by me so please ignore.
** Yes, I know 'Cast Of Thousands' is three words, so they had to give the next album a five-word title ('Leaders Of The Free World') to restore the balance. I have thought this through. Yes I was bored.

Back to top Go down
Bennington
fallen angel
fallen angel
Bennington

Male Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: The Next Album (already!)...   The Next Album (already!)... Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 18:32

fook'n hell, a new album already! Let this one sink in first guys!
Back to top Go down
http://thexilexile.co.nr
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

Male Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-11-04

PostSubject: Re: The Next Album (already!)...   The Next Album (already!)... Icon_minitimeThu 10 Mar 2011, 00:11

elbowismymuse wrote:

Dano made a comment in the BARB thread about the lack of guitar here. They've never been a prominently guitar-driven band because

ehi Smile , don't misread me, obviously i'm not into Elbow for THE GUITARS Wink . that's not my point.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: The Next Album (already!)...   The Next Album (already!)... Icon_minitimeThu 10 Mar 2011, 00:16

No, quite happy to savour this one for the foreseeable.
It's still so new and fresh, like a new baby; gorgeous!
So let's not get greedy.

And yes, I know it was only a bit of jokey banter between the lads!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Next Album (already!)...   The Next Album (already!)... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Next Album (already!)...
Page 1 of 1