elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014

Go down 
+7
boy
mrswoman
My Bury Vest
Lynne
errant
Jones
kcdc230
11 posters
AuthorMessage
kcdc230
fallen angel
fallen angel
kcdc230

Male Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-03-29

LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014 Empty
PostSubject: LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014   LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2014, 07:48

Hi all,

Very much looking forward to seeing Elbow at the LG Arena this coming Saturday. It'll be a bit of a change for me as previously I have only ever seen them at the O2 Arena in London.

I emailed the LG Arena to see if they had any times for the concert, and they replied with the following;

Forum live; 5pm
Arena doors; 6pm
String Quartet; 6.30pm
Jimi Goodwin; 7.30pm
Interval; 8.15pm
Elbow; 8.45pm
Finish; 10.45pm

Hope that's of use to anyone else who's going.

See you there!
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014   LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2014, 09:56

Thanks for posting.  Smile 
Not going to this one but just curious:
what does "Forum live" mean?
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014   LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2014, 10:56

Jones wrote:
Thanks for posting.  Smile 
Not going to this one but just curious:
what does "Forum live" mean?

was wondering the same thing myself, especially as its before the doors open to the public?
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014   LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2014, 23:14

Looking forward, we'll be there on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing jimi Goodwin.  Very Happy Very Happy cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014   LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014 Icon_minitimeWed 02 Apr 2014, 06:33

Lynne wrote:
Looking forward, we'll be there on Saturday.  Looking forward to seeing jimi Goodwin.  Very Happy Very Happy cheers cheers 

Saw Jimi live Lynne in Hebden Bridge last month, had a great night - album's good too.

I'll be getting in early in Liverpool to watch him.
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014   LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014 Icon_minitimeWed 02 Apr 2014, 19:05

Wonder if it's when all the systems - security, lights, admission, etc - are fired up to give them chance to fix anything before they *really* need to work? #guess
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
boy
little beast
little beast
boy

Male Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-10-19

PostSubject: Re: LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014   LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014 Icon_minitimeWed 02 Apr 2014, 20:19

I would assume the forum going live is when you're allowed into the general area outside the gates?
Back to top Go down
kcdc230
fallen angel
fallen angel
kcdc230

Male Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-03-29

PostSubject: Re: LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014   LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014 Icon_minitimeThu 03 Apr 2014, 07:18

Just had a look on the LG Arena website - it says 'The Forum Live stage provides a platform for unsigned, undiscovered and independent artists to perform at one of the world’s top entertainment arenas. We host everything from acoustic acts and comedians, to dancers and magicians. We’re always keen to give back to the industry and the Forum Live stage allows unsigned talent the opportunity to perform to thousands of people before the headline acts take to the main stage!'
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014   LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014 Icon_minitimeThu 03 Apr 2014, 10:33

Maybe that's a 'heads up' for all on ElbowFans and ERO to clamber on stage - topic ; getting stuck into the setlist for the coming tour - like a Question Time type scenario with Garvey getting pelters from MBV !

#boringmyselfnow  Sleep 
Back to top Go down
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014   LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014 Icon_minitimeSat 05 Apr 2014, 22:35

Concert was wonderful, as ever. New songs sound fantastic and they played an absolutely stunning acoustic version of my favourite song of theirs ever "Great Expectations". Whole arena filled with silence as they played it; just Mark on acoustic guitar, Craig on piano and Guy's vocal, and then rapturous applause. Moment of the night, but it was all superb! Very Happy

I would have liked a couple more oldies but, alas, it was not to be. I thought The Birds sounded much better this time around, especially the post middle-8 section that fell a bit flat on their BARB tour. They didn't play Open Arms which was a good thing - song is OK, but ODLT is better and a fitting closing number.

I would have maybe liked the title track from TTOALOE though, or maybe even Forget Myself or something loud and upbeat, but different.

I missed Weather to Fly too.

Great show though and the addition of a brass section definitely enhanced some of the songs. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014   LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014 Icon_minitimeSun 06 Apr 2014, 08:17

Oh what a night! Elbow at their best as always, wouldn't expect anything less. Guy's voice sounding perfect as expected.  I cannot remember the set list but favourite by far of the night was Great Expectations, very emotional took me back to the first time saw them in Newport, a firm favourite.  Performed at the end of the runway with blanket of night which also sounded amazing. I still think the accoustic version of this far exceeds the album version. The Birds sounded particularly good and Real Life was a highlight too. Charge made for a really opener and received lots of appreciation.  Not so much arm waving as expected which was good and the banter from guy endearing as always.

To conclude a top night from the lads, though the burning feeling not to desperately buy tickets for another venue was a strange thing for me! I would have loved to heard Colourfields live, I know not a favourite with many from the album but I love it's upbeat tempo.  It would also have been good to hear the album title track to finish, although its not one of my favourites but would have been a good closer than the same old!   Beer

PS. not sure what happened to the string quartet but they didn't make an appearance! Also how could I forget Jimi Goodwin he sounded amazing, will be getting his new album today. Said he was very nervous and was very endearing.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014   LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014 Icon_minitimeSun 06 Apr 2014, 15:27

Great Expectations! Oh dear Lord, how wonderful! I will never stop loving that song to death and I'm so glad it made an appearance for you guys. Wonder if it will be something they do on the regular, or if there will be one "throwback" nugget per night that varies from show to show.

Glad to hear all the positive comments about how the songs sounded, and I am looking forward to more reports to come from all y'all.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014   LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Apr 2014, 09:51

It was fantastic, as always. for me, "My Sad Captains" was the hi-light of the new songs. I really missed "Open Arms" but it is a fav' of mine from the last album. Guy was in fine voice and they all looked great!
Back to top Go down
Cozzer
little beast
little beast
Cozzer

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014   LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014 Icon_minitimeTue 08 Apr 2014, 12:15

Can only echo the comments made above.  Band seemed very 'in the groove' for the first night of a tour.  I know they have done warm ups plus the Maida Vale thingummy, but I would have expected more nerves and the odd bum note.  But no .. all smiles and confident assurance.

One minor criticism: they could have delved a bit further into the back catalogue.  A Newborn would have been good, as would a Station Approach.  

Went with my eldest lad and best mate and while they both loved it they commented that it was a very 'mellow' concert.  Guess you're not going to get any 'Back In Black' moments with the Boys from Bury  Laughing

Hope their next album explores darker themes and possibly have some more up-tempo songs .. just by way of variation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014   LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LG Arena, Saturday 5th April 2014
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: elbow live-
Jump to: