elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What do you want to hear on the next album?

Go down 
+17
fadeupyoursmile
Mr_K
Dano
Lesley Gilks
Eag
allyngibson
Bright Grey
ticky
The Final Track
ChrissyBoy
al
leespoons
My Bury Vest
lucky with disease
TamedLamia
ukkonen
ChrissieInFL
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

What do you want to hear on the next album? Empty
PostSubject: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeTue 02 Mar 2010, 18:23

Now that we've seen and heard a few snippets of the Elboys at work on the new release, I just wondered if anyone has started thinking on what they'd most like to hear when it's all done. Anybody looking for a particular type of sound/style? More rock this time out - like Grounds For Divorce? Or more mellow and lovely stuff, like Mirrorball? Or do you think they've got the anthem bug after One Day Like This and will be chanting from the terraces again?

I think it's safe to say they'll have a mix of things, as usual, but what would your preferences be?
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeTue 02 Mar 2010, 21:47

I have no idea if this would ever happen, but I've always loved the way "McGreggor" was sung and would love to have a track done in a similar way. I don't know if they'll be having another anthem with this album, because I remember their discussion on ODLT during the Abbey Road commentary and it was being used for some pretty obscure things. I'd love for them to change things up like they did with TSSK. Audience was an unexpected track and to have that sort of surprise again with the new album would be ideal.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 09:39

Progrock without solos like they used to do...What a Face
I'd like to hear them beeing inspired by early Genesis, Floyd and Radiohead again rather than hearing them copy quote the Beatles and reach for the "Kuddlerock Olymp" like a german reviewer said after the last Elbowconcert in Berlin... Neutral
I'd love to hear them make noise not with trumpets but again with distorted guitars like they did in Newborn, Whisper Grass, Bitten by the tailfly, Grounds for divorce and Snooks.
I'd love to hear "turbowaltzes" without latinamerican influences like they did with Red, Fugitive Motel, Great Expectations, Towercrane driver and Newborn.
I'd love to hear dark mystic mantras like in Any day now and Station Approach.
And IF they have trumpets, please the way it was in "Bitten by the tailfly", "Asleep in the back" , "Lay down your cross" and "Hotel Istanbul" (see I am not only note old songs!)

And purrlease no "One day like this pt. II" Suspect affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 09:42

ukkonen wrote:
because I remember their discussion on ODLT during the Abbey Road commentary
could you please translate for me what they were joking about ODLT? Did I really heard right they were talking about fatsuits which they would drop on the bombastic ending...? affraid lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 11:35

TamedLamia wrote:
Progrock without solos like they used to do...What a Face
I'd like to hear them beeing inspired by early Genesis, Floyd and Radiohead again rather than hearing them copy quote the Beatles and reach for the "Kuddlerock Olymp" like a german reviewer said after the last Elbowconcert in Berlin... Neutral
I'd love to hear them make noise not with trumpets but again with distorted guitars like they did in Newborn, Whisper Grass, Bitten by the tailfly, Grounds for divorce and Snooks.
I'd love to hear "turbowaltzes" without latinamerican influences like they did with Red, Fugitive Motel, Great Expectations, Towercrane driver and Newborn.
I'd love to hear dark mystic mantras like in Any day now and Station Approach.
And IF they have trumpets, please the way it was in "Bitten by the tailfly", "Asleep in the back" , "Lay down your cross" and "Hotel Istanbul" (see I am not only note old songs!)

And purrlease no "One day like this pt. II" Suspect affraid

I love you TL, Smile all that!

... and some with more inventive keyboard sound in the footsteps of 'Ive got your number' and 'George lassoes the Moon', About Time',
and then as 'Presuming Ed (Rest Easy), some Timpani. Then away from big sound, minimilistic or acoustic gut wrenchers like 'friend of ours', 'none one' or
short an sweet like 'the crow' or a vocal twist like in 'Loss', to go easy on the strings and fluffy romance, not forgetting some lyrics with bite and humour that make us sit up and think.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 12:47

Can't really add much more to what's been stated on this subject, but as long as it moves me, makes my hair stand on end and polarises opinion (much rather have someone say they hate Elbow rather than 'they're OK'), then I'll be happy and content in my Bury bolt hole.

Must admit, the mellower moments of TSSK have got me into a whole new sphere of music, Fleet Foxes, Midlake, Richard Hawley and have just heard a bit of Local Natives which I know has been mentioned on another topic, again, it sounded top.

Anyway, have finally got myself a laptop for home use which will be up n running before month end, so I hope to unearth some more musical gems.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 12:52

Agree with all of that - as long as it's not an album's worth of ODLT part 2 I'll be happy. Maybe something that shows off Guy's vocal talents more, like on The Stops or My Very Best. And if they have to write anthems make them a bit more Elbow-sounding.

I liked their Hawley collaboration, more collaborations would be good. Provided it's not with Kanye West or Katy Perry, obv.
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 13:25

I would like a collaboration with Kanye West, please
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 14:43

al wrote:

You would. Get back to your panda bread!

Guy Garvey's voice put through Autotune or a vocoder, with cheesy R&B backing... what a horrible thought. But on the other hand, it could produce some interesting effects...
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeWed 03 Mar 2010, 17:29

Lee Spoons wrote:
Agree with all of that - as long as it's not an album's worth of ODLT part 2 I'll be happy.

Yes, there is a danger of pushing a more commercial sound.

Give me some mellow moments, some strings, some hearfelt lyrics, some soaring vocals, some layered arrangements and i guess i'll be happy.
Oh and chuck in just a tad of jen es sa qua !
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeThu 04 Mar 2010, 18:09

Lee Spoons wrote:
al wrote:

You would. Get back to your panda bread!

Can my panda bread also do a collaboration with Kanye West?

Can you tell I don't really care what they do next?! I'm bound to like it anyway.
Back to top Go down
The Final Track
friend of ours
friend of ours
The Final Track

Male Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-12-28

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2010, 14:07

ChrissieInFL wrote:
Now that we've seen and heard a few snippets of the Elboys at work on the new release
Exclamation Where????!?!?! Exclamation Exclamation
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2010, 20:38

I can't find the thread now - but have a look on their myspace page - it's got footage of them playing in the studio. very exciting!!!
Back to top Go down
Bright Grey
fallen angel
fallen angel
Bright Grey

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-11-01

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeSun 07 Mar 2010, 01:35

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/SeldomSeenVid
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeSun 07 Mar 2010, 10:06

hope and social wrote:
We had a song which James said had the feel of “A French Bistro, in a cave or cellar, with a small jazz band playing, and red candles on the tables”.

Lol. I always dreamed of elbow playing a b-side piece like 'Loss' or 'Long war shuffle' like this, with some of us there.

A nice thought Bright Grey...the closest we ever got to something like that was that afternoon Blueprint Studio gig in May, 5 years ago. We never got wined and dined, but they did put a red carpet out for us and I do remember being offered a fag from the stage in between songs, and being a little flustered as to how to respond from my position in the audience, having never smoked in my life.
Those of us there had all bought tickets to Blueprint to be there just for Elbow, the Blueprint gig a few years after that, was a more widely publicised XFM competition, so a different audience.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeSun 07 Mar 2010, 13:39

I'm not fussy - it'll be brilliant whatever they do.
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Mar 2010, 01:17

I want evocative soundscapes.

I want unique instrumentation.

I want inscrutable lyrics.

But above all, I want songs that make me feel.

I want a song like "Not a Job," which made me say, "This is a band I should watch." I want a song like "Tower Crane Driver," which left me shaken to my emotional core. I want a song like "The Stops," which belongs in the soundtrack of my life.

Beyond that, I'm not fussy. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
The Final Track
friend of ours
friend of ours
The Final Track

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Mar 2010, 15:31

^ Very Happy

But has any new material been leaked or heared:?:
Back to top Go down
Eag
little beast
little beast
Eag

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Mar 2010, 22:10

We want to hear Elbow, and we will!

Take any other band on a career trajectory involving a sudden breakthrough with a more commerical "anthem" song and the descent into a below-par follow-up full of attempts to fill a pop formula they'd found would be inevitable. But I'm pretty sure we trust Elbow not to at all. They're honest & experimental, and while TSSK might be mellower ODLT sticks out a mile on it!

Maybe we'll get a backlash into proggier, spikier territory as TL & others have desired. Personally I'd love a looping, loping brooder or two in the vein of Any Day Now or I've Got Your Number.

Any road up, this board'll be a great place to be to share the joy when it comes!
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeTue 09 Mar 2010, 00:45

The Final Track wrote:
^ Very Happy

No new material has been leaked, but Elbow posted a video of a brief studio moment between Jupp & Craig. It's nothing that would give insight into the album, because they're very well known to just mess around in the studio (the Leaders DVD is a great example of seeing some of the things they do while there). If you're curious, here's the myspace link: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=33532399&blogId=528368148. I'd suggest adding the RSS feed so you can catch these messages quickly.
Back to top Go down
The Final Track
friend of ours
friend of ours
The Final Track

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeTue 09 Mar 2010, 14:59

ukkonen wrote:
The Final Track wrote:
^ Very Happy

No new material has been leaked, but Elbow posted a video of a brief studio moment between Jupp & Craig. It's nothing that would give insight into the album, because they're very well known to just mess around in the studio (the Leaders DVD is a great example of seeing some of the things they do while there). If you're curious, here's the myspace link: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=33532399&blogId=528368148. I'd suggest adding the RSS feed so you can catch these messages quickly.

Thanks Very Happy already have it
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeSat 07 Aug 2010, 22:03

I loved the last album (it's in my all time top ten list) so more of that please, but I'm just pleased to know there's new stuff on the way. You can't like/love everything a band has ever produced, so it's always going to divide some of the fans.
can't wait to hear it and I'll be first in the queue for the concert tickets. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

Male Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-11-04

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeFri 05 Nov 2010, 16:46

I hope the band will continue to put in rhithm and blues influences because those sounds are just perfect for Guy's voice. Some noisy guitar, one or two experimental tracks and.. the "usual" beautiful Elbow ballads.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeFri 05 Nov 2010, 17:23

Dano wrote:
I hope the band will continue to put in rhithm and blues influences because those sounds are just perfect for Guy's voice. Some noisy guitar, one or two experimental tracks and.. the "usual" beautiful Elbow ballads.

That sounds good to me. Perhaps it will need to be a double CD to fit all that in. How about it fellas?
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitimeFri 05 Nov 2010, 21:43

Guy's voice and the amazing rhythm section, oh and the kick arse keys and guitars... that'll do!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to hear on the next album?   What do you want to hear on the next album? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you want to hear on the next album?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: elbow music-
Jump to: