elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chicago show April 29

Go down 
+3
Topaz
erasure
ChrissieInFL
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Chicago show April 29 Empty
PostSubject: Chicago show April 29   Chicago show April 29 Icon_minitimeThu 01 May 2008, 14:36

Hi all! Gig in Chicago was, need I say it, phenomenal. Great venue – a really nice sounding room and it was just the right size for seeing and hearing everything. I was stood right up front, and the stage was about waist high, which left me within a couple of feet of the band. I was closer to them than I usually am to the local band I go to see at my neighborhood pub! I could’ve yelled hello to my main man Craig if I’d wanted to, as he was just about 2 yards away but I don’t like drawing attention to myself that way! Just wanted to enjoy the show, which I did in a big way. Opening act was the Watson Twins, who did a fine job (I got chatting with one of them in the lobby after the show – not sure which one of the Watsons she was but she was incredibly sweet and gave me a big goodbye hug as I was leaving).

After the opening set ended, the crew came on and taped down the Elbow set lists. Because of my amazing spot up front, I could read the list as soon as it hit the ground. It was probably as good a set as I could have possibly hoped for. Best thing – I saw one single, solitary word at the very end of the list that made my heart stop – SCATTERED! cheers I could not believe my luck! That’s the only song I really wanted to hear that I don’t think they’d played to date on this tour (though I hope someone will correct me if I’m wrong). I hadn’t counted on hearing it, so when I saw it on the list I was over the moon!! Got a bit teary eyed during that one – it was sublime, and Guy did a little extended vocal bit at the end which sounded lovely.

Set list is posted elsewhere for your perusal. As far as show details, Guy was teasing us from the off, telling us it was “a very special gig” but not telling us why until about halfway through. I thought it may have had something to do with Manchester United, but as it turns out it was Mark Potter’s birthday. We all sang him Happy Birthday and a cake, complete with a glowing sparkler, was brought out to Mark’s apparent bemusement.

Also, to settle the ongoing debate about whether the horns played by the band during Starlings were real horns or not…yes they were, and Guy hit a bum note at one point so they were not just miming to a recorded horn bit. OK? OK! Laughing

Tower Crane Driver was as good live as everyone’s been saying it is – it really takes on a life of its own once it’s on stage. Mirrorball was stunning, and a real mirrorball in the venue lit up and filled the room with sparkles right on cue. Newborn…what can I say about Newborn, except “Holy f**k!” Very intense and powerfully beautiful. One Day Like This is another one that is improved a thousandfold in a live setting; some folks don’t care for it on the CD but it really was meant for a crowd to sing along with and it was awesome when we all got into it. You lucky buggers going to Glastonbury or any of Elbow’s other festival shows this summer will have fun when it’s done with a fest-sized crowd!

We did the requisite “sing for an encore” routine, and the winning suggestion for the song was Mahna Mahna, which Guy proclaimed a “genius” choice. The upper level sang the “Mahna mahna” bit, and we on the floor sang the “Doo-doo-doo-doo” bit. It was very successful, as the band came back for Station Approach, Grace Under Pressure and (sigh!) Scattered Black & Whites. I got a handshake from Guy as well as Mark’s set list (pic of which is on another thread), and I met and stood with a couple of Brits who were rabid fans and made for excellent company during the show. All in all, it was a perfect night for me. Definitely worth taking a plane for! It may be the first and last time I ever get to see them perform, but even if it is I will consider myself extraordinarily lucky to have been at this show.
Back to top Go down
erasure
fallen angel
fallen angel

Female Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Chicago show April 29   Chicago show April 29 Icon_minitimeThu 01 May 2008, 14:42

Thank you for the wonderful recap! I tried to get my brother to go but I don't think he made it. Now I can tell him what he missed!
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Chicago show April 29   Chicago show April 29 Icon_minitimeThu 01 May 2008, 15:43

Sounds like a great show Chrissie. Thanks so much for filling us in! alien
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Chicago show April 29   Chicago show April 29 Icon_minitimeThu 01 May 2008, 15:59

Cheers Chrissie! Excellent review of your experience...

Damn, really starting to miss this band now, roll on Delamere!
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345

PostSubject: Re: Chicago show April 29   Chicago show April 29 Icon_minitimeThu 01 May 2008, 16:43

Really glad you enjoyed your birthday treat.
You can sense the excitement in your review, and it sounds like an amazing experience. bounce
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Chicago show April 29   Chicago show April 29 Icon_minitimeThu 01 May 2008, 16:49

Thanks all, It was really sensational! The couple I met and hung with at the show took pics and will hopefully email some if they come out well (we were told not to use the flash, so the results may be iffy). I will post anything I receive!

They also tried to get me to join them after the show, because they had a "reliable tip" about where the band were supposedly going to grab a meal and they were planning on investigating. I don't like to stalk and hassle people, so I didn't go. But if they email me and tell me that they did meet up with the band at this restaurant, I may regret that decision!

Ah, just found out (via a MySpace pal) that Scattered Black and Whites was indeed played elsewhere on the tour (in Washington DC, a coupla days before Chicago). So there goes that theory, but who cares! As long as I got to see it that's all that matters, right? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Chicago show April 29   Chicago show April 29 Icon_minitimeThu 01 May 2008, 19:36

Sounds like you had a great night Chrissie. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. And belated happy Brthday too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Chicago show April 29   Chicago show April 29 Icon_minitimeThu 01 May 2008, 22:51

Thanks for the birthday greeting Hotblack! Smile

Just confirmed through a MySpace pal that after the gig, Elbow DID go and eat at the restaurant I'd heard about. I was literally standing across the road from it after the show and decided not to venture in (partly to not make a nuisance of myself while the band ate their hard-earned meal, and partly because I didn't want to be alone, hunting down a cab on the Chicago streets after midnight). Probably should've taken a peek at least...DOH!!! Mad
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Chicago show April 29   Chicago show April 29 Icon_minitimeFri 02 May 2008, 06:13

ChrissieInFL wrote:
Thanks for the birthday greeting Hotblack! Smile

Just confirmed through a MySpace pal that after the gig, Elbow DID go and eat at the restaurant I'd heard about. I was literally standing across the road from it after the show and decided not to venture in (partly to not make a nuisance of myself while the band ate their hard-earned meal, and partly because I didn't want to be alone, hunting down a cab on the Chicago streets after midnight). Probably should've taken a peek at least...DOH!!! Mad

From what I have heard, and others may confirm, the band are particularly open to fans. Though possibly not while eating.

I know what you mean about being a nuisance though. When I was in the same room as Guy I really didn't want to say hi, thinking that he must get it all the time. Luckily a drunk MrsMT didn't worry about that and started chatting to him, then dragged my unwilling awestruck a$$ over and introduced me. He was lovely and a perfect gent in every single way. And possibly also more drunk than both me and MrsMT combined.

Oh and belated greets from me as well!
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Chicago show April 29   Chicago show April 29 Icon_minitimeFri 02 May 2008, 07:22

Belated ahppy birthday Chrissie!
THanks for the reports, folks, it's lovely to keep up with the tour - really looking forward to Delamere now, and wonderng what changes there'll be to the set by then! Smile
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's too much of a wuss to go up to the band. I arrived really early at the Manchester Apollo the other year and am sure I could have got in to the sound check but didn't quite have the guts in the end. The show made up for it and I soon forgot to be kicking myself regularly. Shocked
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Chicago show April 29   Chicago show April 29 Icon_minitimeFri 02 May 2008, 11:13

Thanks MT and Glendarian! It was a happy birthday for sure! Smile

I have also heard many a tale of how fan-friendly the Elbow lads are, but I dunno...I know I'll likely never get anywhere near an Elbow concert again, let alone near their after-show lair, so if it's the chance of a lifetime missed for the sake of catching a cab, I guess I'll be kicking myself for quite a while too. Rolling Eyes But I figure their obligation to me ends once they've done a brilliant show and left the stage...after that they're just dudes who are tired, hungry and in a hurry to move on to the next town. I just feel bad getting in their way at that point, though I'm sure they get it from fans all the time.

Plus, to be honest, the couple I was with were kinda liquored up and they (particularly the wife) were teetering on the edge between "funny drunk " and "overbearing prats". They sort of had the mind set that they were "on a mission" and were gonna track Elbow down no matter what it took. That's not how I roll and I felt icky about joining 'em under those circumstances. Whatevs...I got a really amazing show and I have absolutely nothing to bitch about...it's all good! Cool
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518

PostSubject: Re: Chicago show April 29   Chicago show April 29 Icon_minitimeFri 02 May 2008, 11:26

Oooh, that's sort of stalkerish and creepy. I don't blame you for calling it a night.

And never say never! Never. You may just see them again one day.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Chicago show April 29   Chicago show April 29 Icon_minitimeFri 02 May 2008, 14:40

Topaz wrote:
Oooh, that's sort of stalkerish and creepy. I don't blame you for calling it a night.

And never say never! Never. You may just see them again one day.

Thanks, that made me feel better! You're right...ya never know what's gonna happen...so here's hoping! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chicago show April 29   Chicago show April 29 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chicago show April 29
Page 1 of 1