elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Night will Always Win

Go down 
+29
SwingKing
uiop60
ChrissieInFL
The DaddyO 44
Nemo
leespoons
Kim
scotochromagen
Swearengen
yesman
lucky with disease
ChrissyBoy
lordlee
Project571
allyngibson
Boney-Crisp
sparky
The Lippy Kid
nellie
Kayleigh
MagicalTrevor
Fancy Pants
LongLegs
Misspelt Yoof
@MrIanGibson
Kiresg
Cestriansteve
My Bury Vest
ticky
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Swearengen
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-11-09

The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 19:10

heart* and bloke** grrrr my abysmal spelling lol
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 19:11

You can edit your posts, you know Smile
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
lordlee
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011, 11:20

ChrissyBoy wrote:
its weird how some songs divide people, just shows we all have slightly different perspectives and preferences.

Maybe did take a listen or two to fully appreciate, but i love the change in tone / build and emotive feeling in the voice.
I'm not sure about it being off key, maybe rather just the tune has a flat tone in places before the
harmony changes ?

It's grown. I look back on my last comment with disdain. Mad
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 15:06

*note to self* The line in the song should read 'I miss your bad advice' and NOT battered vice... nothing to do with naughty goings on in a fish a chip shop...
Back to top Go down
scotochromagen
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: aah that makes more sense   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 26 Mar 2011, 18:27

ticky wrote:
*note to self* The line in the song should read 'I miss your bad advice' and NOT battered vice... nothing to do with naughty goings on in a fish a chip shop...

Damn i really thought he sang 'miss your battered thighs!?!' - you don't want know know what sort of imagery that was creating...i can enjoy the song more now lol

Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 27 Mar 2011, 00:29

scotochromagen wrote:
ticky wrote:
Damn i really thought he sang 'miss your battered thighs!?!' - you don't want know know what sort of imagery that was creating...i can enjoy the song more now lol
And I thought I had a bad mondegreen in "Lippy Kids," hearing "Build a rocket, boys!" as "Build a rocking horse!" Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
The Lippy Kid
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-01-30

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 27 Mar 2011, 11:11

scotochromagen wrote;

I'm gonna come clean now as you have scotochromagen, I too thought there was some battered thighs in there when I first heard it, made me wonder what the hell he had been up to when he wrote those lines, was kinda disappointed when it was only 'bad advice'!!!!

Maybe the person to whom Guy refers was a lady rugby player lol.
Razz
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 27 Mar 2011, 23:27

My bf heard 'battered thighs' too...!!

Or have we all just got thighs on the brain? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
The Lippy Kid
fallen angel
fallen angel

Registration date : 2011-01-30

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 16:14

I now always stifle a laugh and a have a little secret smile now when I hear the old "bad advice line".........I much prefer battered thighs!!!! Sorry Mr Garvey heehee Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Mar 2011, 11:44

yeah I keep hearing battered thighs too now Very Happy

Veering off topic slightly, but talking of mondegreens, I heard L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N. by Noah And The Whale this morning and I could've sworn the lyrics went "She's a rock 'n' roll survivor with pendulous tits"!

(It's actually "pendulum hips" which is just as rude, but in a less obvious way)
Back to top Go down
Nemo
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Mar 2011, 16:34

Having had the album on CONSTANTLY since Friday I have to say this will ultimately become a classic. It resonates with so many things close to hearts.

Awesome lads..... all with a good true northern honesty. Love the album ....
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 11 Apr 2011, 01:13

This evening, I found a dance remix of "The Night Will Always Win" here. I'm not sure that it really works.

Anyone know if it's official, band-approved? Or just something a deejay put together?
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 11 Apr 2011, 01:23

Prob not official...plenty of room in that song for overdubs.

I kinda like it...little bit too repetitive though.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
The DaddyO 44
fallen angel
fallen angel
The DaddyO 44

Male Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-04-07

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 11 Apr 2011, 14:18

Kind of wish this song was only 2min 50, and The River stretched out another couple of minutes (even tho to be fair The River is perfect as it is, just love the mood and want more)
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 11 Apr 2011, 17:13

allyngibson wrote:
This evening, I found a dance remix of "The Night Will Always Win" here. I'm not sure that it really works.

Ugh, no it doesn't. Interesting maybe, but other than that, it doesn't work at all.

This song, as it appears on the album, is so simple but so effective at communicating the feeling of loss. The remix robs it of that emotional heft, which was its greatest asset, IMO. It comes off as a bit droning and monotonous, and the emotion just flatlines in that version. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I don't think every song needs to have a beat added to it. Ugh! Evil or Very Mad

I was actually thinking about this song (the original version) quite a bit after I got home, because of the way it had moved me when I was hearing it live. I always reacted to it quite strongly from the first time I heard it in full on the album, but the way it brought certain feelings and memories to the surface while I was hearing it live in Manchester was very overwhelming. I just got a vibe of having so many people I'd lost around me in some way: my grandparents, my cousin, who passed from leukemia when he was 21, my friend from high school, who was a dancer/choreographer and had AIDS, my other friend from high school, who was a cop who was fatally shot, yet another high school friend who was beaten by a scumbag because he was gay and died of his injuries, and a musician friend who was bi-polar and committed suicide. So that song is a really intense song to me, for personal reasons, and I think anyone who has lost someone they care about might hear it the same way I do.
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 11 Apr 2011, 20:20

I get entirely where you're coming from, Chrissie. "The Night Will Always Win" makes me think of my best friend. He died very unexpectedly three years ago. We'd have late night drunken bullshit sessions, and we'd give each other bad advice on life and love in the dark hours. I miss that, and that's a hole that I've never even tried to fill.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2011, 12:20

allyngibson wrote:

hmmmm.... not sure about this. I don't have a problem with Elbow songs being remixed, but this could've done without that bloody irritating diet dubstep bassline.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2011, 15:07

Lee Spoons wrote:
hmmmm.... not sure about this. I don't have a problem with Elbow songs being remixed, but this could've done without that bloody irritating diet dubstep bassline.

"Diet dubstep"...hadn't heard that phrase before but it's a good one, and also accurate in this case.
Back to top Go down
uiop60
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-05-06

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 06 May 2011, 21:38

For me the tear jerker on the new album was dear friends. That song gets to me.
Back to top Go down
SwingKing
fallen angel
fallen angel

Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 09 May 2011, 16:23

This, together with Jesus Is A Rochdale Girl, is the heart of the album. Understated, musically, and with Garvey's aching vocals - just bloody marvellous, really.

And it's a relief to see I'm not the only one who heard "battered thighs"!
Back to top Go down
Sapphie
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-11-01

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Nov 2011, 13:34

Hi

I am very new to Elbow and this one instantly made me feel very emotional!

Lee
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Nov 2011, 21:33

Hi Lee. It has a similar effect on me!
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Nov 2011, 18:28

It's the new earworm of the friend of mine who went with me to the concert.
She's not an Elbow-"Fan" as we are... so strangly enough that song stuck in her head... not an uptempo song...
But I think it's great - it's a good sign if she's having earworms of Elbow. Very Happy Another fan, I guess.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Nov 2011, 16:31

allyngibson wrote:
This evening, I found a dance remix of "The Night Will Always Win" . I'm not sure that it really works.

surely not for me affraid
you can not dance to such a sad song. Shocked

I always found the song a bit -um- boring and "proggy" in a Vangelis style but the lyrics won me over because I know VERY WELL that I musn't think of my of my niece at night because she is in vegetative state since a few years... pale
So the song started to become a "weeper"
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Night will Always Win
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2