elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elbow play MEN

Go down 
+50
evilpixie
Cestriansteve
andy_landy
Weepsie
sparkly
oneofthethree
ChrissyBoy
the mexican
neil68
TamedLamia
sparky
redliz2
ChrisMcW
Mr Woman
Kim
a5quared
Bright Grey
LongLegs
Tailfly
fadeupyoursmile
takemeanywhere
Misspelt Yoof
ChrissieInFL
Diaan
Fancy Pants
KieranFunzig
Cozzer
Honorella
Emma G
newborn
Lynne
Rockport
Glendarian
Jools
Stockhaus
WOBLEwoble
bluefield
mrswoman
hilaryg
josephblack
ticky
nellie
nikkijaydee
Jones
lucky with disease
MagicalTrevor
My Bury Vest
Lillybef
al
sundaygirl
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
AuthorMessage
nikkijaydee
little beast
little beast
nikkijaydee

Female Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 10:29

'Is Everyone Still Alright'

I'm still on a high. Got Asleep in the Back album on right now. My highlight was Tailfly as I said in an earlier post. I still can't get over how good it sounded. I really hope there's a DVD of the gig just so I can relive that one!

Due to a series of unfortunate occurences this was my first time seeing them live although I have wanted and tried to for a long time before this. They didn't disappoint me and Guy's banter between songs was great. They made me wait for Station Approach and I cried during that Some Riot and Towercrane Driver. I'm blaming the hormones. In fact the next morning I had suddenly developed a little baby bump. It clearly enjoyed the gig!

Seeing them live was lethal though cos I could do it every week now so it makes it doubly sad that they won't be touring for a while now.

Topped it all off with a huge spending spree in the city yesterday and despite being a staunch Yorkshire girl I think Manchester has overtaken Leeds as my favourite city.

So thankyou to the lads for breathing some renewed energy into me. I haven't been well for a couple of months but I feel great now. Elbow are the best medicine! sunny
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 11:23

Bitten By The TailFly

Yes, I was again... having said I couldn't do a Stadium gig, and what goes with it... I wavered last minute, Bitten by the Tailfly, because it was going to be the last time, and Ticky happened to still had a spare ticket at the pub beforehand.
So I managed to get myself into party mood, with the help of forum members and my other elbow friends, and I do feel better for the outing.

T'was the Manc version of Wembley Arena, so I had a fair idea what to expect... (was dare I say, a bit more lairy than it's counterpart)

My highlights were:

1.Surprise 'Bitten by the Tailfly', of course! Though, when most there were expecting the single they knew, of Grounds for Divorce, to sing-a-long and clap hands to, it did get less of a stadium applause than it deserved.
Rest assured it REALLY was appreciated by the rest of us, still taking in its power and lyrics, when the masses went wild for next up Grounds so that they could shout and wave again.

2. Snooks! added by the string girls. before the support...wonderful
(I caught the other songs that they played at Wembley, but missed the beginning as was still at box office changing my ticket, so did anyone make a note of the set the string girls played, please)

3. Craig's playing was amazing during Newborn, please, want more of that ilk.

4. Swopping standing ticket, for a seat with a view and some space around me (was straight opposite band family's block, so closer to stage than I had hoped for, paying a normal price). This also meant I could move around freely and buy the re-introduced, and has been missed, 'Newborn' babygrow during the support band.
Also meant that I had a great view of the forum members antics and friends I knew, that were up at the barrier, aswell as stage.

5. The company before and after gig.

The contrast of seeing the mighty I AM Kloot at the intimate Deaf Institute the previous night, with my first ever gig buddy made the trip more complete, and the generosity and loveliness of friends who let me sleep on a sofa in the room they had booked nearby, as I had no accomodation after my extra night out.

Ticky thanks for the offer of a bed to, It sounds like their room was a bit bigger to fit me in.

Evilpixie, do you have the photos you took of me and those friends when we were out after? Can you PM them to me please.

I took a few at the pub before, I'll put them on Elbowfans Ning if that's Ok with you that were there?

Sarah, how great you were at the Koffee Pot at the right time in the morning....being an early bird, and not being out so late had its advantages!

Last edited by lucky with disease on Sun 20 Sep 2009, 11:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 11:24

I love that photo evilpixie!

Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Dsc01910

Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Dsc01911

Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Dsc01913

A couple of my favorite shots from the actual gig!
Back to top Go down
Nasalhair
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 11:47

Hello! My first post here - been a lurker for a long time now but finally decided to emerge, so hi.

This was the seventh time I've seen Elbow (previous shows: Manchester Academy last year, Delamere Forest, Manchester Apollo post-Mercury, Blackpool Empress Ballroom, both Halle shows, and then Friday night) and as good as the show was I think in some ways it was the weakest of the bunch I've seen - still bloody good, but not the best by a long way. Why?

First of all, the MEN Arena may win awards for being the best venue in the world but it just has no atmosphere at all. We were in block 104 and it was only during "Station Approach" that people started to stand up, sing, dance, cheer etc., immediately sitting down again as soon as it finished, until "One Day Like This" started and they got up again. All through the show before then we could hear constant chatter coming from towards the rear of the arena, which ruined the quieter songs like "Mirrorball" and "...Tower Crane Driver", which also saw something of an exodus to the bar for many around us. We were surrounded by a bubble of people who just stared at their phones from start to finish, sitting still and texting furiously, and even when "One Day Like This" came on - probably the only reason they'd gone to the show - they STILL did nothing. I know people enjoy music in different ways, but come on!

The choir was a nice idea, and when I saw the sea of people in white T-shirts I thought it was going to be extraordinary - so many people singing their hearts out - but we could barely hear them. I know they were just fans who happened to be in those blocks and were told on arrival that they were going to be the choir, but if I'd been there I'd have given it some serious welly! It was a bit like at the Bridgewater Hall on the first night when Guy asked everyone to sing the "Don't look down" line in "The Stops", and do the stamp-clap thing in "Grounds..." and very few people did the former, then made a mess of the latter, and as a result Guy got the choir to do it on the second night.

The setlist also seemed a little odd. I absolutely LOVED "Bitten By The Tailfly" (I've always liked it) and there were a few heads bobbing to it in our otherwise motionless block, but it seemed very uneven in some respects, such as the up-tempo "Station Approach" in the encore being followed by "Some Riot" - great songs, but the switch in pace and mood was maybe a little too much.

Positives:

Of course it was great to see Elbow again, although tinged with sadness as this was their last show for a couple of years (although I suspect they'll be itching to do something live again before long, if only just a one-off). Guy was on great form as always, a brickie with the voice of an angel and the mind of a comedian, and the band played immaculately despite a few errors it seemed (not just Guy making a mess of "Mexican Standoff" and having to restart, but also a couple of other times when they seemed to get out of time briefly - or maybe it was just me). The video presentation was also well used, and I loved the moment during "The Bones Of You" when Pete noticed himself super-sized on the screen, grimaced, and laughed - then did the same a bit later on when the screen was covered with multiple Petes. Also, this was one of the rare occasions when the sound at the MEN actually seemed good! Normally it's an echoey barn of a place, but on Friday it was more or less spot on. And one final nice bit was two high-spirited folks dancing madly in the exit corridor beneath block 110/111 during "One Day Like This".

So a good show from a great band, spoiled by a pretty awful audience. If you don't want to watch & listen to a gig and only want to hear one song, don't go to the gig. Plenty of others would doubtless snatch your hand off for the tickets you've bought. If you talk and cannot stand to wait an hour or two until your next beer and, as a result, have to ask those around you to stand again and again you're only spoiling it for them. Think on, chaps.

Hope to see Elbow again soon. Until then, I'm looking forward to hearing the show and the documentary on Absolute.
Back to top Go down
nikkijaydee
little beast
little beast
nikkijaydee

Female Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 12:08

Nasalhair I agree with you in your negatives. I half expected not much atmosphere in the seats and I was right. We were in 115 right next to Pete's side of the stage. The people next to me arrived halfway through Starlings and then sat chatting really loudly. During a quieter bit between songs I said very loudly to my sister in law 'why the hell do people go to gigs and then talk all the way through'. I'd like to think it worked!!

The guy in front of me must have got up 6 times to go to the bar.

I stood for a few songs, which did encourage 2 girls in front of us to stand which I was happy about. But the girl sat next to me kept giving me funny looks because shock-horror I knew the words to every song.

I do prefer to sit at gigs because I can get clastrophobic in big crowds.

I didn't let it spoil things for me though cos looking at reviews of the tour in March I expected there to be people there for one song (ironically the very last one!)

Oh and one last thing. A group two rows in front of us left one song into the encore. I know it finished a bit later than we though but WTF!!!
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 12:28

It just goes to show how different people's experiences can be at the same event! I could not fault the crowd one bit. Yes i was in a bubble of boardies, but even the people around us who weren't (Hello to the lovely couple from Minnesota) were really up for everything! No funny looks, no chatting, just good old fashioned sing-a-long fun!
I suppose that alone is worth getting there early and getting to the front, i too don't like big crowds, which is why i like the front- more air and a good view. One thing i was really impressed about was the absence of pushing and jostling, at other gigs you're lucky if you're anywhere near the place you started by the end of the gig. On Friday i had space throughout even when Garvey was standing on the barrier in front of us!
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 13:00

I have to say it was one of the best I've been to recently for not being surrounded by talkers. I did have the girl next to me during Scattered B&W watching a video (with sound) she'd taken of an earlier song (!! Evil or Very Mad ) (I put my hand out to block it out and she got the message I think). We were in the middle of some of the tallest guys in the place (we were 8-9 rows back), but got excellent corridors of view 99% of the time, apart from Newborn, when I had a wonderful view of a guy in front's camera all the way through it, grrrr. Apart from that fine and yes it was all very non-jostly and we met some friendly folk too. I wish we'd been able to get there a bit earlier and get right to the front though - the nearer you are the fewer mobiles between you and pure enjoyment. Wink
Back to top Go down
oneofthethree
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 13:10

WOBLEwoble wrote:
Glendarian wrote:
What can I add to what's already been said?! A wonderful evening! Thanks for posting the photos Hilary (and others I may have missed - still catching up!)

I'm sorry I didn't see anyone from here - we had reasonable places near the front but I think we were surrounded by some of the brickest s***houses in the venue Laughing (but fortunately no talkers where we were stood which makes a refreshing change!) Didn't even see the sombreros till the one that got chucked on the stage at the end, but can't have been far from you Woblewoble as we were near the trumpet people...

Anyways a fantastic night and so lovely to see the lads so ecstatic. I'll definitely be looking out for the meet-up excuse you mention. Smile

We didn't have any sombreros etc.

We were also close to trumpet section! If you notice a girl being carried over barrier during support act - we were behind her.

trumpet section included longlegs. we must have been right in front of you woblewoble. That girl fainting was strange - I know Fiery Furnaces were bad, but....
Back to top Go down
hilaryg
friend of ours
friend of ours
hilaryg

Female Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 13:39

ticky wrote:
BTW, I've been looking on Youtube for any footage of Mexican Standoff, but as usual it's the same songs posted. However, I had to laugh when I saw this one - notice anything on stage!.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYUoXqGoa_U

Laughing I can see Kim's friend (Jonathan?) bouncing up and down at the front during Mark's guitar bit...

Ticky, just for you.... ans you might have missed it as the post is several pages back now, but you may be able to spot something in my photos that are here

Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Img_0111
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 14:22

He he!
Back to top Go down
KieranFunzig
fallen angel
fallen angel
KieranFunzig

Male Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 15:20

As far as MEN gigs go, it was one of the best for having a friendly, non-chatting crowd. However I was at the front in the corner at Pete's side. I saw Radiohead at Old Trafford last year the low voume just encouraged the chatting to an absurd level (even though I was at the front there).

The sound has got to be the best I have heard from the MEN (though I noticed it has got better over the years). It was so good I wish I had recorded it (did anyone else?).

I thought that the performance was spot on too, I hope it gets a DVD release. Or how about this - "Elbow in MAnchester" 2 disc set with the Halle on one....in time for Christmas? We can hope.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 17:03

oh the trumpets..... Mrs Woman has a pic of us somewhere Smile Wonderful weekend can't really add anything else, hangover has kicked in from Kloot last night....Other than that I worked out the string section on my toy trumpet for 'One Day Like This' hehe Smile

Happy end of the Elbow weekend everyone, glad you all had a wonderful time!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 17:17

Bring on the trumpets! Smile
Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Dscf1111
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 17:22

Elbow play MEN - Page 25 685959
Back to top Go down
Lillybef
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lillybef

Female Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 17:44

evilpixie wrote:
Good to meet up with you all on Friday. Thanks OneOfTheThree for letting me have the tickets. Great photos Hilary. Don't think I can top them but wanted to add this one as it made me smile.

[img]Elbow play MEN - Page 25 P1020211[/img]

Hee hee, there I am in my sombrero . Mark actually looked at us when we all had them on, and gave me a smile.
All the pictures and everyone reminscing has put a smile on my face ths evening on what has turned out to be a crap weekend in one way or another but I wont bore you all silly with details
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 18:59

Aw, I hope everything is okay Liz!

If anyone is interested, I got about 2 minutes of Bitten By the Taifly...
Back to top Go down
sparkly
fallen angel
fallen angel
sparkly

Female Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 19:08

im also back home.it was a wonderful holiday!! Great city, well rested, had a lot of fun, was soo great to be a part of the men arena meet,and Elbow were brilliant!thank you all Smile
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com./anne158
neil68
fallen angel
fallen angel
neil68

Male Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 19:48

Nasalhair, you have endorsed my fears for gigs like this. I might not be making any sense cos this has alomst been a perfect weekend (any 25+ females want a fat little baldie happy?) for me?

A pal of mine wants to see a gig fromt he cheap seat in an arena and will not take word fro it it that it cannot be fun, so again I have to say THANK YOU MRSWOAM for being a true fan and fan of the fans!

The only thing that would have made the weekend perfect would have been a seat near Sharpy whe Mr Owen scored today!
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 19:58

That was excellent - not very often you hear "Bitten by the Tailfly" live. Loved "The Stops" video too. Quality was great.

Many thanks.

al wrote:

Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 20:02

al wrote:

Hey Al...that is well worth adding to the Ning collection!
You have just put up the first live fan video clip of 'Bitten' ever to appear on youtube!

Mine is not as clear a picture, and it sounds like the sound was better up front, but I was going to upload a clip too anyway as it is full song.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
Lillybef
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lillybef

Female Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 20:12

Look what Craig has just posted on Twitter!

Well, I've finally recovered from the night after M.E.N. Thanks to everyone who came especially the trumpet blowers n mexican Hat wearers!!

Wooo!

Anyway, Seen as we have so long to wait until the next gigs, maybe we should think about having a meet up again at some point? In Manchester see as everyone loved it so much? what do people think?
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 20:50

bettyblue wrote:
Anyway, Seen as we have so long to wait until the next gigs, maybe we should think about having a meet up again at some point? In Manchester see as everyone loved it so much? what do people think?
Let's do it! Get your thinking caps on:
http://elbow.heavenforum.org/elbow-live-f3/elbowies-get-together-plans-t919.htm
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 21:17

Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 21:22

haha that is outstanding.

bettyblue wrote:
Look what Craig has just posted on Twitter!

Well, I've finally recovered from the night after M.E.N. Thanks to everyone who came especially the trumpet blowers n mexican Hat wearers!!

Wooo!

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 21:26

al wrote:
Elbow play MEN - Page 25 3936681774_67f1ccbfbe

A personal favourite Smile

edit - Ticky, hahaha! I wonder who took it home with them? I have some videos of the Stops and Bitten which I might upload later, I think..

Having looked at that photo again - I'm blown away. I'm absolutely no expert, but It has that same sort of energy as that iconic Clash photo from their album London Calling - bloody brilliant Al.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elbow play MEN   Elbow play MEN - Page 25 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elbow play MEN
Page 25 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next