elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dave Matthews Band

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Eag
little beast
little beast
Eag

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Dave Matthews Band Empty
PostSubject: Dave Matthews Band   Dave Matthews Band Icon_minitimeWed 08 Apr 2009, 19:53

ChrissieInFL wrote:

Wow, DMB might be on my upcoming gig list too, about a week after I see Elbow in Atlanta! Don't know how big a DMB fan you are, but this will be my first show without LeRoi since I started listening to them about a hundred years ago, which is kinda sad and I wonder how they'll sound without him. You mentioned,sax solos - I'm sure you'd agree that his sax solos (and his other horn work) really were something else and he's leaving a big hole for someone else to fill.

Your observation about their lowly status in the UK is like the exact opposite of the problem I have with Elbow - they are under the radar in the US but huge in the UK. So as a US Elbow fan, maybe I can get an exemption from the mainstream sheep thing, even though I also like DMB? Laughing

Wow, really cool to see someone else liking two of my favourite bands - I wouldn't have marked them down as having the biggest crossover Laughing

I'm really excited as it's my first chance to see them - I'm a pretty huge fan but I'm only 21, and, well, they're not over here that often!

LeRoi is a huge loss (obviously) - his sax work always brought such a mellow yet powerful vibe. It's great they've got Jeff Coffin, another musician I love, to stand in, though he usually brings a funkier feel.

Anyway, most of all it's build-up to the new album time, so excitement all round!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Dave Matthews Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Matthews Band   Dave Matthews Band Icon_minitimeWed 08 Apr 2009, 20:50

Well I don't know what DMB shows are like over there, but here, they are a real party! Very friendly, fun vibe every time I've seen them. So if it's anything like that when you go, you'll have an excellent first DMB show!

I have read quite a bit about the new album recently, and am very excited to hear it as well. In all honesty, I'd been a bit "meh" about the last couple of releases - Busted Stuff was probably the last time I really enjoyed their studio stuff in a big way. But this will be their last work "with" Roi, using whatever he had put down on tape before he passed away. I definitely want to see how it turned out and I hope it's a fitting tribute to him. He was awesome. Carter Beauford's my main man though - his smile lights me up big time and he is incredibly inventive and energetic on the drums! Dave Matthews Band Drumme10
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Dave Matthews Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Matthews Band   Dave Matthews Band Icon_minitimeThu 09 Apr 2009, 11:04

I noticed DMB a few years ago, when I was mostly a huge Peter Gabriel Fan and the voice of Dave Matthews sounds at least in "The Space between" very gabrielic. I like the music too and I have a few DMB-Tracks on my last.fm list. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Eag
little beast
little beast
Eag

Dave Matthews Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Matthews Band   Dave Matthews Band Icon_minitimeThu 09 Apr 2009, 12:46

Funny you should say that, TL - they started covering "Sledgehammer" on their last summer tour. If it isn't sacrilegious to Gabriel, you might like to check it out via here.

And Carter Beauford is just a crazily talented musician!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Dave Matthews Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Matthews Band   Dave Matthews Band Icon_minitimeThu 09 Apr 2009, 14:43

TamedLamia wrote:
I noticed DMB a few years ago, when I was mostly a huge Peter Gabriel Fan and the voice of Dave Matthews sounds at least in "The Space between" very gabrielic. I like the music too and I have a few DMB-Tracks on my last.fm list. Smile

I also noticed the similarities in their voices on that same song, TL!

I saw that there had been a leak posted on the web with a clip of the first single from the new album - but the clip was gone before I could listen to it. I see a lot of fans who did hear it posting that it's a great song - but official release date for the single is next week anyway so I guess I'll hear it then!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Dave Matthews Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Matthews Band   Dave Matthews Band Icon_minitimeMon 13 Apr 2009, 17:27

A little promo video for the new album is now on YouTube, and the background sounds are snippets of the new stuff, for anyone who's interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzkJKJQ1zeU
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Dave Matthews Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Matthews Band   Dave Matthews Band Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 16:04

New single is out here in the US...it's called Funny the Way It Is, and you can hear it on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHNnu6EZODs

I quite like it, though it is noticeably different from most of DMB's catalog because of the emphasis on electric guitar and also because this is one of the tracks with no contribution from LeRoi...
Back to top Go down
Eag
little beast
little beast
Eag

Dave Matthews Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Matthews Band   Dave Matthews Band Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 23:01

Not bad is it? It was on a free download last week, not sure if that's still on. Pretty catchy, though the lack of horns is quite noticeable.

They've debuted two other songs on their spring tour. I'm particularly digging "Spaceman", but all 3 are really promising for the album Smile
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Dave Matthews Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Matthews Band   Dave Matthews Band Icon_minitimeSat 01 Aug 2009, 14:04

New album is pretty good - better than most of the most recent LPs but certainly a bit different without Roi. There's a few strong tracks in particular which I'm enjoying a lot. Eag, how was the show last month? Forgot to ask!
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Dave Matthews Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Matthews Band   Dave Matthews Band Icon_minitimeTue 02 Feb 2010, 18:08

Had to put the thread back on top!!! Very Happy

Oh boy... I've seen them on the Grammys (TV Smile) and this performance was soooo great!!!
You just have to love them!!!

*thumpsup* for DMB!!!

Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Dave Matthews Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Matthews Band   Dave Matthews Band Icon_minitimeWed 03 Feb 2010, 18:09

ElbowFreak wrote:
Had to put the thread back on top!!! Very Happy

Oh boy... I've seen them on the Grammys (TV Smile) and this performance was soooo great!!!
You just have to love them!!!

*thumpsup* for DMB!!!

cheers Yes! Saw the Grammys performance and thought it was excellent! Sucks that the Grammy people failed to include LeRoi Moore in their annual tribute to musicians who died over the past year. No reason to leave him out, he was amazing. But then again, the Grammy people are buttheads. Razz Love the DMB and am looking forward to -hopefully- getting to see them sometime this summer. Might not, their current tour dates are all pretty far away from me but I am hoping they'll add some.
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Dave Matthews Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Matthews Band   Dave Matthews Band Icon_minitimeWed 03 Feb 2010, 19:07

Well, Adam Sandler said that he died in 2008, so maybe that's the reason...

Oh it really sucks. They come to Germany in February, but I can't go and see them cause I'm having an operation... :-S *cry*
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Dave Matthews Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Matthews Band   Dave Matthews Band Icon_minitimeFri 12 Feb 2010, 16:31

Pretty interesting interview. Didn't know about their almost break-up.
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Dave Matthews Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Matthews Band   Dave Matthews Band Icon_minitimeSat 12 Feb 2011, 08:12

Oh boy....
today I received an e-mail from the bands warehouse company. It's saying, that they are sorry for answering so late (I wrote the e-mail one year ago) but that they passed it to the band cause it is worth sharing!!!!! Can you imagine how I fell now? That is way to cool! Very Happy
They haven't been to Germany for around 10 years - and then they toured and I coulnd't see them because I had to undergo a surgery at that time. That's what I wrote - and that they should come back sooooon. Smile
Well, maybe they will.

Elbow and DMB - what a great year 2011 this would be!
Did you hear me lads???? Wink
Back to top Go down
AyannaD
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-12-24

Dave Matthews Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Matthews Band   Dave Matthews Band Icon_minitimeMon 21 Feb 2011, 20:42

The band posted this on their Facebook page today.

2011 is our 20th anniversary as a band and we want to celebrate by playing music together. While we are still taking the year off from touring, we have decided to plan four multi-day, multi-artist music events that will take place this summer. We will be sending out save the date emails and announcing more information soon but we wanted to share the news with our fans first.

Now I'm curious about what they are planning.

Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Dave Matthews Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Matthews Band   Dave Matthews Band Icon_minitimeTue 22 Feb 2011, 17:53

Sounds like a festival to me...
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Dave Matthews Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Matthews Band   Dave Matthews Band Icon_minitimeSun 13 Mar 2011, 17:06

Well... it turned out it is some kind of festival. Pretty cool!

Check out here - don't think that they are coming to Europe with this.

http://www.dmbcaravan.com/
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Dave Matthews Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Matthews Band   Dave Matthews Band Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2011, 19:41

Aaaaah, the Flaming Lips, and Ray Lamontagne, and the Carolina Chocolate Drops, and DMB...plus extra performances by my man Carter Beauford!! Damn, I know I'll miss this but I wish I could see it! Ought to be outstanding!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dave Matthews Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave Matthews Band   Dave Matthews Band Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dave Matthews Band
Page 1 of 1