elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Radio 2 giveaway

Go down 
+33
Leo
Trains Are...Mint
Mirrorball
Dabamash
fadeupyoursmile
ukkonen
P 1
hilaryg
mrswoman
DavidM
heshofcheese
Jones
Grant
Goo5e
lordlee
Alison
Glendarian
Eag
Alec
lucky with disease
al
ElbowFreak
Kim
Misspelt Yoof
evilpixie
ChrissyBoy
Prestwich Red 143
Jonny
MagicalTrevor
Hotblack
Stockhaus
leespoons
Emma G
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 13 Jan 2009, 21:43

Get there early!!! Well, that's my advice anyway...
Hope you get in, you lucky ducks!
Back to top Go down
Goo5e
newborn
newborn
Goo5e

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 14 Jan 2009, 08:42

Cheers, if I manage to get in and am allowed/able to take photos, I will try to post here.
Back to top Go down
lordlee
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 14 Jan 2009, 09:14

yeh i got home and had the phone call (answerphone message) as well. will report back.
Back to top Go down
Alec
newborn
newborn

Male Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 14 Jan 2009, 12:29

Great news for those of you that had phone calls/emails! It may well be that they had an initial round of tickets sent out, and then some returns, or that they had extra capacity confirmed late in the day - possibly as they confirmed the guestlist, or once they've finalised how much space the production will take, and therefore exactly what the capacity will be.

Nothing at this end - hope you that are going have a great time - these intimate BBC events are always great, and this looks to be a particularly special one. The great plus is that at least those that can't go should be able to catch it on TV.
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan 2009, 15:15

Ohh, it's being shown on TV? I thought it was just radio!
Back to top Go down
Alec
newborn
newborn

Male Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jan 2009, 11:33

Don't think I'd seen anywhere that it would be on TV, but I can't see it not being shown.

However, it's most likely to be shown under the red-button, so may not be obvious. If anyone spots it, make sure you post an alert here!
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jan 2009, 17:56

This is looking good. Anyone not registered you know what to do!

http://www.elbow.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
Goo5e
newborn
newborn
Goo5e

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jan 2009, 21:58

All I can say is what a fantastic night. Wish you could have been there.......well I come bearing the news you've all been waiting for. The evening was filmed and will indeed appear on the red button - though no date was confirmed but i'm sure we'll hear via the website. Highlights will also appear on the bbc website apparently.

As far as details of the night. The whole of tssk was played in album order barring the bonus track. Mr Hawley was present for the fix. Weather to fly finally got a live airing, and I can see why it's not played live, as Guy really struggled with the high notes and had two takes at it. Even with a couple of bum notes it was still wonderful. There was support from the orchestra and choir, and the acoustics were out of this world. Highlights for me were Tower Crane Driver, On a Day Like This, and Ground for Divorce, but tbh the lot were incredible.

Unfortunately I was unable to get any photos as they were really strict about it and I was right at the front, so didn't want to risk it. Got to shake hands with most of the guys afterwards. Also had quite a long chat with Guys sister, and it seems the entire Garvey clan will be at the Wembley show.

A magical evening.
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jan 2009, 10:04

So so envious. x)

It's interesting that you say Guy struggled with the high notes in Weather To Fly - I've seen that live several times on the last tour and he never had a problem. Perhaps because he's had a cold recently? (As he mentioned on Finest Hour.)
Back to top Go down
DavidM
fallen angel
fallen angel
DavidM

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jan 2009, 10:49

I have to agree with Goose was a fantastic night- real spine tingling stuff!! Hairs on the back of my neck were at full attention for most of the evening! Highlights for me being Grounds for Divorce and Weather to Fly (which they have indeed been playing live on the last tour!).

A mate and I actually turned up to abbey road without tickets- but many thanks to the guys who had spares on the night and duly shared the love by handing them over! Didnt get your names- but if you are on the forum... thanks again!!!

Now looking forward to the opening night of the upcoming tour in Brighton!!
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jan 2009, 12:10

heshofcheese wrote:
This is looking good. Anyone not registered you know what to do!

http://www.elbow.co.uk/
exciting! Can't wait for that one.
Back to top Go down
lordlee
fallen angel
fallen angel

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jan 2009, 12:45

Goo5e wrote:
All I can say is what a fantastic night. Wish you could have been there.......well I come bearing the news you've all been waiting for. The evening was filmed and will indeed appear on the red button - though no date was confirmed but i'm sure we'll hear via the website. Highlights will also appear on the bbc website apparently.

As far as details of the night. The whole of tssk was played in album order barring the bonus track. Mr Hawley was present for the fix. Weather to fly finally got a live airing, and I can see why it's not played live, as Guy really struggled with the high notes and had two takes at it. Even with a couple of bum notes it was still wonderful. There was support from the orchestra and choir, and the acoustics were out of this world. Highlights for me were Tower Crane Driver, On a Day Like This, and Ground for Divorce, but tbh the lot were incredible.

Unfortunately I was unable to get any photos as they were really strict about it and I was right at the front, so didn't want to risk it. Got to shake hands with most of the guys afterwards. Also had quite a long chat with Guys sister, and it seems the entire Garvey clan will be at the Wembley show.

A magical evening.

I agree... a truly amazing night! The sound was fantastic. The songs lend themselves to a big orchestral arrangement very well so looking forward to the CD.

Goo5e when did you get to shake hands? It looked as if they legged it up the stairs pretty quick smartish. Which made me think they were shattered, which was confirmed by Steve Lamaq. I managed to grab a quick word with him and he said they had been working extremely hard recently.
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jan 2009, 12:59

DavidM wrote:

A mate and I actually turned up to abbey road without tickets- but many thanks to the guys who had spares on the night and duly shared the love by handing them over! Didnt get your names- but if you are on the forum... thanks again!!!

Now looking forward to the opening night of the upcoming tour in Brighton!!

Were there many went without tickets? Was it a full audience?
I was so tempted to go anyway without an invite, but as the BBC always oversend tickets and have had the experience of being turned away when standing in a queue for a show, when the optimum number is reached (even with a ticket) I didn't want to be a nuisance fan.

I had already phoned the BBC audience phone line to beg, after more emails and phone calls went out the second week...they looked me up on their database and had all my details of applying but no go, not even to put me down on a last minute cancellation list.

I wonder if they will use a choir at Wembley? (The choir last night was bbc 3 choir of the year 2006)

http://www.chantage.org/

Last edited by lucky with disease on Sun 18 Jan 2009, 18:36; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jan 2009, 13:27

Can you tell us more about what it was like being in Abbey Road studios?
It was the first time they would have played 'Audience with the Pope' and 'Friend of Ours' live publically, can't wait to see them...

Were you in studio 1? If so did you get to see studio 2, any other parts?

I was going to get a photo of us walking the zebra crossing if I had been able to go. Did you take any photos outside?
Back to top Go down
Goo5e
newborn
newborn
Goo5e

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jan 2009, 13:54

We hung around in the studio for as long as we could before being turfed out. Craig came out briefly so said thanks for a brilliant night. Saw Pete just outside the loos and shook hands and thanked him as well. Also got to thank Richard Hawley as well. I've spoken with Guy's sister Beccs before - she was stood right behind me at the Delamere forest gig and sang her heart out. She's got a cracking voice (cross between Annie Lennox and Alison Moyet) and it was like a duet between her in one ear and Guy in the other. Complimented her after the gig at Delamere and had a quick chat with her, and she actually remembered us when we spoke with her last night, bless her. Don't reckon I'll seek her out at Wembley though - she'll probably start thinking I'm a stalker!

The studio was amazing, only got to see studio one, the security guys were tight on keeping everyone away from where they shouldn't be, which is fair enough. Before the gig I was breathing in the atmosphere of the place and picturing how it must have been for some of the incredible recordings done in that space. The whole night was definitely a highlight of my music experiences and something I'll never forget. Just glad the rest of you will at least be able to see it on the telly, even if you couldn't be there in person.

We didn't end up taking any photos of the crossing in the end. We actually turned up at lunch time just to get our bearings, and there were already loads of kids holding up traffic trying to take their photos on the crossing. Didn't want to add to the traffic chaos, and the photo's wouldn't have been great with all the traffic there. We said me might try going back really early one summer morning before 5am to take some photos before the traffic is about, although a guy I work with who is a major Beatles fan reckons the crossing was moved a little way years ago as the location was too dangerous, don't know this for a fact though.

Congrats to the guys that managed to bag the extra tickets, we heard some of the guys in the queue talking about it - major blag. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jan 2009, 15:02

Appreciate you telling us a bit more about the Abbey Road atmosphere, thanks for that.

Goo5e wrote:
I've spoken with Guy's sister Beccs before - she was stood right behind me at the Delamere forest gig and sang her heart out. She's got a cracking voice (cross between Annie Lennox and Alison Moyet) and it was like a duet between her in one ear and Guy in the other. Complimented her after the gig at Delamere and had a quick chat with her, and she actually remembered us when we spoke with her last night, bless her. Don't reckon I'll seek her out at Wembley though - she'll probably start thinking I'm a stalker!

Cool I'd love to have a music chat with Beccs. I've bumped into Guy's girlfriend a couple of times, First before the Meltdown concert Festival Hall, at the Latitude Festival - when she was with Guy, and then at the Roundhouse we spoke as we were coming out. Again...was worried she might think the same! pale

Was the recording like a proper gig, in as far as it could be?
At the Apple Store gig, it was, (for a gig in a shop!) but the subsequent Itunes release, doesn't have the funny chat in between songs.
Back to top Go down
Goo5e
newborn
newborn
Goo5e

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jan 2009, 15:43

There was some bits of laughter - mainly when things didn't go quite right and they did a second take, but no there wasn't really any proper chat from Guy in between songs, although the odd line here and there had everyone laughing. Was a lot shorter than a normal gig, which we kind of expected with them only doing TSSK.

Was really touching when they did Friend of Ours. Craig was welling up, especially during some of the stronger orchestration. Lots of meaningful looks between the guys during the instrumental section at the end....
Back to top Go down
Goo5e
newborn
newborn
Goo5e

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jan 2009, 15:46

Also, we were asked not to applaud until the conductor gave the signal so they could cut it properly. Assume this means we won't get to see much of what happened in between songs when it's broadcast. TBH you won't be missing all that much though.
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jan 2009, 16:58

Friends Of Ours live with a full orchestra must have been a very moving experience for everyone, not just the band.
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jan 2009, 17:38

From BBC6 NEWS

Quote :

Elbow Room
Mercury winners play a special show at Abbey Road
18 January 2009 -
Elbow played their Mercury award winning album The Seldom Seen Kid in full at Abbey Road Studios in London last night.

The band were backed by the BBC concert orchestra and it was a one off show which will be broadcast on BBC 6Music and Radio 2 on January 31st.

The Music Week programme on 6music spoke exclusively to singer Guy Garvey after the show who felt very privileged to play this legendary venue:

“It wasn’t lost on me that when we arrived yesterday morning the receptionist said ‘hello again Guy. You know your way around don’t you?’ and I thought, ‘I know my way around Abbey Road’ it’s just ridiculous,” he said.

“If you’d given me an acoustic guitar and asked me to bash out an Elbow tune I would have been very proud but to have such an amazing orchestra and a choir backing you on your songs. It was all the band could do not to blub all the way through. It was just the most amazing thing that’s ever happened. I think I said that about the Mercury so it’s the other most amazing thing that’s ever happened to us.”

A select few fans got to see the show and one of those was Snow Patrol front man Gary Lightbody. He also spoke to 6music news after the gig and this is what he thought of the show:

“Astonishing! It’s such a beautiful, beautiful record and it’s a record I’ve lived with for a year now and loved every time I’ve listened to it. Hearing like that was spell binding.”

And as for seeing the Seldom Seen Kid played in such a historic room, Lightbody couldn’t think of a better place for it:

“It’s an incredible room with an awful lot of history and it really did take my breath away,” he said.

So it sounds as though the whole show was a complete knockout for the Snow Patrol singer but there was one standout moment:

“One Day Like This, that was probably the most extraordinary version of that song I’ve ever heard.”
Back to top Go down
DavidM
fallen angel
fallen angel
DavidM

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jan 2009, 17:51

yeah have to admit we were lucky to get the tickets...but as I live in London thought no harm in trying and just turning up on the night- we got quite friendly with the security staff - on the way out they said that there were actually quite a number of no shows- just amazed that people who had the opportunity (and tickets) deciding not to attend... crazy stuff!!

I actually thought Guy seemed quite nervous, which might explain the lack of usual banter- think the whole band must have been under pressure to deliver - they needn't have worried -they well and truly nailed it. The same for the orchestra and choir- wonder how much practice they had to put in before the night!?

Looking forward to hearing it all again in a few weelks time when it comes to broadcast.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jan 2009, 18:11

DavidM wrote:
on the way out they said that there were actually quite a number of no shows- just amazed that people who had the opportunity (and tickets) deciding not to attend... crazy stuff!!

That's SO annoying, I'd have driven all the way there and all the way back happily to have seen this...
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Eag
little beast
little beast
Eag

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jan 2009, 00:34

Right, seems I'm due! I promised a full review, so apologies in advance...

First off, to get it out of the way: this was amazing. I'm thrilled that they've announced it being released already - I'd be gagging to hear these versions even if I hadn't been there! And it shows what a special opportunity it was for the band also, not just the venue but the collaboration.

So, obviously us in the crowd were awestruck. Filing in and then seeing a full orchestra and choir assemble in Studio 1 just built the excitement. Guy said a few words on the history of the building at the outset which was about all he spoke - it's a serious business this recording! As mentioned there were a couple of false starts, usually just timing at the beginning of a track. The only glaring one was Garv on Grounds singing "polishing a trumpet..." He briefly blamed the brass behind him (of course!) before taking it on himself for thebiggest laugh of the night.

The tone of the songs was really deepened - straight from the off Starlings was lavish, that's the only word for it. Listening to the album again now, an album we've all got to know as so well put together, textured and crafted, it still feels like it's missing something compared to the fully orchestrated versions. For one night only An Audience With A Pope sounded like a Bond theme (I mean it! - hard to believe they'd not played it before, though so much practice must have gone into this) and even the big climaxes of Grounds and ODLT were heightened with grandiose orchestra crescendos.

As mentioned before, Friends Of Ours was pretty emotional - personally this track has been my biggest grower from the album, it's amazing how Guy can write a lyric so blunt and so poetic at the same time. I couldn't quite see Craig from where I was but you can imagine the emotional effect a full orchestra right behind you would have during a song written the way that was.

Of course they looked drained after playing their hearts out, but we were briefly tempted with the announcement they might come back for one more song - any guesses anyone? Question Of course, absolutely no complaints - the biggest thanks have to go to the band, all the musicians involved and all those who helped make such a unique event occur.

Sorry for saying so much, and if not question away! And as if you needed this vouchsafing, all you Elbow fans have so much to look forward to when this comes out Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jan 2009, 09:17

MagicalTrevor wrote:
DavidM wrote:
on the way out they said that there were actually quite a number of no shows- just amazed that people who had the opportunity (and tickets) deciding not to attend... crazy stuff!!

That's SO annoying, I'd have driven all the way there and all the way back happily to have seen this...
I agree. Selfish f*&%ers!!! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
lordlee
fallen angel
fallen angel

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jan 2009, 09:48

i was going to write a little review... but i have to say most has already been said.

i will add that i was very pleased the crowd were extremely respectful. minimal chatter etc. (never ceases to amaze me how mixed the crowd is with elbow, young old etc.) in fact during friend of ours you could here i pin drop.

saw 'whispering' Bob Harris wandering around looking excited. isn't he 189 years old now? Wink

noticed the 3 girls who usually play the strings were watching from the upstairs balcony and were very moved.

as i sang with Elbow at Meltdown festival (as part of the choir) it was interesting for me to watch the crew who i recognised from behind the scenes at that gig, working and stressing with the BBC crew. Soooo much work and stress goes on behind the scenes to make it happen.

only downer of the eve was some utter twat of a security guard being very rude to a guy next to me. after the gig, when people were allowed to take pics and a few people were getting setlists... a very polite guy asked the security guard if he could have a setlist from the drummer's stand. the twat said (in a sarcastic tone) "Sorry mate... there aren't any setlists". To which the guy replied "I can see it... it's right there". The security guard sniggered, looked the other way (as security do) and said "No there isn't. There aren't any."

In the imortal words of Simon Pegg in Spaced... "what a prick"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radio 2 giveaway   Radio 2 giveaway - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Radio 2 giveaway
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next