elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mark Potter Appreciation Thread

Go down 
+10
My Bury Vest
sundaygirl
Kim
ChrissieInFL
ElbowFreak
Jones
Topaz
bluefield
Leo
Grant
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Empty
PostSubject: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSat 27 Sep 2008, 17:58

Thought that it was unfair that Guy, Craig, and Richard had one and Pete and Mark didn't Shocked so i have taken it upon myself to sort that Razz
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSat 27 Sep 2008, 20:50

fairplay!!

I think thats Mark's suble, intelligent and crafted guitar work sits nicely in the balance that is Elbow. Whether it be an overdriven riff, or a complex acoustic part, he seems to judge it right - much like Jupp. e knows just how much to add, without going over the top. Great guitarist and top bloke!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSun 28 Sep 2008, 07:54

yeah i personally think with the guitar work in Elbows music its more about whats left out, for a lot of guitarists the temptation to go into a long soaring screaming over the top guitar solo would be too much to bear givin the majesry of the music . What a great job he has and what a great job he does.
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSun 28 Sep 2008, 12:42

Mark is amazing. He's a great guitarist, Elbow would not be the same without him. He also seems very humble and sweet.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSun 28 Sep 2008, 17:50

Oh Lord! What can I say? What he does on Great Expectations is just amazing!
Totally appreciatin' the man! Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSun 28 Sep 2008, 17:51

Jones wrote:
Oh Lord! What can I say? What he does on Great Expectations is just amazing!
Totally appreciatin' the man! Thumbs Up!

Haha Razz yeah, I can't concentrate on anything else when Great Expectations is on Razz
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeMon 29 Sep 2008, 18:01

I was greatly appreciating Mark's guitar wizardry on Bitten By The Tailfly this morning in the car.

He's pretty superb on Grounds For Divorce as well. Makes me want to bang my head.
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeMon 29 Sep 2008, 18:03

Haha Razz i've not had the impulse to bang my head in months Shocked i wanna bang my head now Razz but This song ain't really one to bang your head to Razz (Street Operator by Pulp Razz) Yeah, i love him in Grounds for Divorce also Smile (Just to stay on topic Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue 30 Sep 2008, 18:42

leo wrote:
fairplay!!

I think thats Mark's suble, intelligent and crafted guitar work sits nicely in the balance that is Elbow. Whether it be an overdriven riff, or a complex acoustic part, he seems to judge it right - much like Jupp. e knows just how much to add, without going over the top. Great guitarist and top bloke!

Couldn't have said it better.
Sometimes I am getting goosebumbs. In Anyday now or in Powder blue. It has a real intensity. One of the best guitarists in the world!
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue 30 Sep 2008, 18:47

A bit of a bold statements, but i support it entirely Smile
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue 30 Sep 2008, 18:50

As for me I am only singing! I don't play an instrument (well I've learned piano a bit) so it's hard for me to explain how Marks playing affects me or impresses me....
So I can only say how I feel when he plays. Or if I like it or not! And I like it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed 29 Apr 2009, 14:26

Yes, it is Mark's birthday today. I know this because...last year I saw them in Chicago on April 29, and they brought out a cake midway through the show and had us all sing Happy Birthday to Mark! Plus, it's easy for me to remember because his birthday's the day before mine! So happy birthday and much appreciation to Mark!! Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Birthd11
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed 29 Apr 2009, 14:31

Sorry Chrissie, I deleted my previous post, since I found confirmation in the meantime.
Have started an official 'Happy Birthday, Mark'-thread because I think he deserves one!

Oh yes, and just to stay on-topic: still totally appreciating da man...! lol!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeThu 09 Jul 2009, 14:55

Here's some appreciation for Mark, for posing with the forum family after last night's show...HIP HIP HOORAY!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSat 11 Jul 2009, 18:17

Yeah! I have so much love for the Potters for taking that photo with us that night, it was such a perfect end to a perfect day. Thank you Mark!! (And Craig of course... but this is the Mark appreciation thread. Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 09:30

Ditto....
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jul 2009, 21:03

Hrmph... badge making machines are blummin' expensive!!
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue 02 Feb 2010, 08:51

Was wheeling my 3 year old through a crisp and beautiful January Sunday morning in Heaton Park, Manchester a coupla days back.

And striding towards me with his kids was Mark Potter.

A million things were going through my mind, what do I say ? but there are SO many things I WANT to say ?

Anyway, I said nothing only for me to regret it all day Sunday. I could have just gone over and shook his hand and said "Great band Mark, am a huge fan, you all have a nice day !"

'Shyness is nice, but shyness can stop you, from doing all the things in life you'd like to.....' Oh, Morrissey, how right you were !! Embarassed

Last edited by My Bury Vest on Tue 02 Feb 2010, 12:47; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue 02 Feb 2010, 10:00

Don't be sad about it. I might have been shy too thinking I might annoy him Neutral
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue 02 Feb 2010, 11:55

I know what you mean, MBV. I remember after the first Halle gig, when the Potters were spotted round the back of the Bridgewater having a crafty smoke and several of us went over to say hello and thank them. Me? I was far too embarrassed to actually say anything.

You never know, if Mark had realised who YOU were, you may have got a spontaneous hug!
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue 02 Feb 2010, 12:01

Yer right MrW, if he had realised who I was (yes, secret out, GO ON GARVEH !, twas me at the MEN, a cocktail of Samuel Smiths cider and lager tipping my adulation scales right over), he'd have either took me under his wing and made me Elbow member number 6 or given me a right hander ! ha !

Things is you want to say something original but what makes it worse is if I'd have given him a compliment he'd have been humble and appreciative, of this I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue 02 Feb 2010, 12:33

Sarah and I once saw Fyfe from Guillemots having a coffee outside our local cafe, we walked calmly past then spent 10 minutes hiding round the corner hopping from foot to foot deciding what to do. We went back, got a coffee and then walked past far too shy to say anything. 10 minutes later and he was gone! You always imagine you'll be very cool and collected but it rarely happens, for me anyway.

However I was dead cool when we met Garve in Manchester. Honest..
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed 03 Feb 2010, 09:23

MBV! It was YOU? affraid

I'll have to change my sig now. I was going to get a T_shirt printed and everything. Tsk. Smile

And al, we've seen the Koffee Pot photographs. You can't fool us. Laughing
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed 03 Feb 2010, 09:33

Mr Woman wrote:
MBV! It was YOU? affraid

I'll have to change my sig now. I was going to get a T_shirt printed and everything. Tsk. Smile

And al, we've seen the Koffee Pot photographs. You can't fool us. Laughing

Yeah mate, it was right early on in the gig, I was on the segregation between seats and standing, behind where you mob were to the left. If I wasn't the fella, well, I was shouting it pretty loud anyway, in total isolation !!

"GO ON GARVEH !"

"GO ON GUY!"

scratch
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed 03 Feb 2010, 18:04

Whoa, a close encounter of the Potter kind! Cool, MBV, and I'd have been too silly to say anything to him either, if it makes ya feel any better. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mark Potter Appreciation Thread   Mark Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mark Potter Appreciation Thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next