elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Craig Potter Appreciation Thread

Go down 
+36
suered
Adderz
Open arms
mrswoman
errant
Bright Grey
Dano
NeonChoir
ticky
Misspelt Yoof
nellie
sundaygirl
lucky with disease
TamedLamia
Grant
ElbowFreak
bluefield
Leo
Dabamash
MrsMagicalTrevor
evilpixie
fadeupyoursmile
erasure
Hotblack
Jones
girlafraid
Calum
Ted
JulieinTX
Topaz
leespoons
Glendarian
Craig Potter
MagicalTrevor
Jonny
ChrissieInFL
40 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Empty
PostSubject: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeThu 10 Apr 2008, 13:36

Alrighty then...I know we all love Guy's voice and lyrics, and that he draws many of us into the music of Elbow. But I want to give some love to Craig Potter. I've always thought his keys provided a voice that's every bit as good as Guy's. The way he can create a mood with his playing is awesome. He evokes a lot of great imagery, whether it's rain falling over lovers on a city street, or a train approaching the station, or Guy's sister buzzing through the room, leaving perfume in the air. Sometimes using only a few notes, he paints some wonderful pictures in your mind's eye, and his expressive playing has always been one of my favorite things about Elbow's music.

Also, I think he did an ace job producing and mixing Seldom Seen Kid. I found the sound ofthe album to be very satisfying and I give him a lot of credit for that.

For me, his piano on Scattered Black & Whites is some of his best , for it's simplicity, beauty and effectiveness. Anyone else have a favorite Craig moment or other feedback to share with the class?
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeThu 10 Apr 2008, 16:10

I hear that!

I'm loving his playing on Mirrorball at the moment, really moving and impressive at the same time!

And you can't go wrong with Craig's... brash moments a la I've Got Your Number. There he's really in the limelight. Oh and yeah I agree about the production, sounding sweet as nougat
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 11 Apr 2008, 08:06

Ah...the secret weapon...

I am totally blown away by the production on SSK. The fact that it has been http://turnmeup.org/ registered is fantastic in itself in this day and age of overcompression, but add that to the sheer power of the sounds that Craig creates and it's almost overwhelming.

As Mark Radcliffe once said on his radio show as Fugitive Motel was fading "They make the most beautiful noise"
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Craig Potter
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 11 Apr 2008, 09:21

Bump..... Laughing (couldn't resist)
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 11 Apr 2008, 09:38

Craig Potter wrote:
Bump..... Laughing (couldn't resist)

Well who would blame you Wink
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 11 Apr 2008, 11:08

I think I said in my intro that I got into Elbow when I heard Newbron - in fact it was the keyboards that first got to me on very first listen... The keyboard arrangements on the current tour are amazing, too and add so much. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 11 Apr 2008, 11:18

MagicalTrevor wrote:
I am totally blown away by the production on SSK. The fact that it has been http://turnmeup.org/ registered is fantastic in itself in this day and age of overcompression, but add that to the sheer power of the sounds that Craig creates and it's almost overwhelming.

yep, I didn't know about turnmeup until I bought TSSK... I wish more bands would produce themselves.

What I like about his playing is there's never a note wasted, no Jerry Lee Lewis-style showing off...

My favourite Craig bits are Mirrorball, the little piano motif on Ribcage, and my all-time favourite is the way the piano stalks Guy's vocals on Love Blown Down.

And good to see you posting here Craig! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 11 Apr 2008, 11:33

I *heart* Craig too.

Actually, each and every band member adds a nice bit of themselves to each and every song/album.

Amazingly talented bunch!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 11 Apr 2008, 15:18

Glad to see y'all are with me on this one...not to belittle the contributionsof any of the other band members, of course. It's just that I do think Craig's work stands out, among a group of extraordinarily talented musicians, so that's pretty special.

And he must be a pretty decent fella, too, to check in on all of us! Very Happy This is my second online encounter of the Craig kind, since he was kind enough to read and comment on a review of Seldom Seen Kid that I posted to my MySpace blog. Craig, it's great that you are interested in looking at the fan discussions and getting our feedback. Hopefully you'll stop by to add some enlightening comments for us now and again (or just bump this thread again!), though we know you're kinda busy rocking the UK at the moment. You da man! cheers
Back to top Go down
JulieinTX
little beast
little beast

Number of posts : 56

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 11 Apr 2008, 23:39

OMG, I love Craig's playing, and I'm so glad you brought this up, Chrissie. As you inferred...not to neglect to mention anyone else's work, but I do get thrilled by Craig's work about as much as I do Guy's, and when the two sounds intertwine and sort of wrap around each other...wow. Chill-inducing (the good kind, of course).
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSat 12 Apr 2008, 11:44

Wrap around each other... yeah you got it there Julie. I think that's what's making me love Some Riot so much.
Back to top Go down
JulieinTX
little beast
little beast

Number of posts : 56

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSat 12 Apr 2008, 17:48

I agree - Some Riot is a perfect example.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeThu 24 Apr 2008, 19:53

Was listening to TSSK on headphones last night in bed, and the sound was just marvelous. Couldn't help being wowed by the production yet again, even though I've been listening to the album for weeks. I have mostly had it playing on my iPod dock or my computer, so I can listen while I work. But playing it on CD with 'phones really kicks. Just superior from top to bottom! cheers
Back to top Go down
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

Male Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeThu 24 Apr 2008, 20:27

The piano on Friend Of Ours is achingly beautiful especially on the outro with the strings...it mixes so well. And yeah I agree with people about Scattered Black And Whites because that is one of my favourite songs full stop never mind just Elbow.
Back to top Go down
Calum
friend of ours
friend of ours
Calum

Male Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeThu 24 Apr 2008, 20:52

Scattered Black and Whites.

Great Expectations

All Hail Craig!
Back to top Go down
girlafraid
fallen angel
fallen angel
girlafraid

Female Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 25 Apr 2008, 15:12

I've got to meet this Craig person everyone's talking about - I've heard he's pretty cool *grins*
Back to top Go down
http://www.girlafraid.net
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 25 Apr 2008, 16:08

Girlafraid raises an important issue - there should be a picture of Craig in the gallery, and it should be packed full of awesomeness.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 25 Apr 2008, 16:24

jonny wrote:
Girlafraid raises an important issue - there should be a picture of Craig in the gallery, and it should be packed full of awesomeness.

Well, I'm just gonna put one right here, jonny, 'cause a pic of Craig (which, by definition, is naturally packed full of awesomeness) will be a nice touch for the thread. As Calum said, "All Hail Craig!" cheers

Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Craig110
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 25 Apr 2008, 22:26

Razz Adorable!
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSat 26 Apr 2008, 07:00

lee spoons wrote:
What I like about his playing is there's never a note wasted, no Jerry Lee Lewis-style showing off...

Spot on. And sometimes it's not what he plays, but what he doesn't play that's important. It's the space around the music that says so much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSat 26 Apr 2008, 09:11

Awesome!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSat 26 Apr 2008, 13:02

jonny wrote:
Awesome!

Yup! Told ya! Very Happy I am really looking forward to seeing him live this week (and also the rest of Elbow, of course!). The venue (Park West in Chicago) is apparently one of the most acoustically sound theatres in the US. I keep reading and hearing about the fact that the sound is excellent from anywhere in the room, so I think even the subtle aspects of Craig's playing won't be lost as much as you'd expect during a typical live show. Hope so, anyway!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeThu 01 May 2008, 15:13

Just a note to say Craig rocked it @ Chicago! I was close to the stage and for about 10 seconds I was considering yelling something to him...maybe that I was representing the Craig Potter Appreciation Thread! Laughing But I wasn't gonna do that because I'd feel retarded. I just watched him work his magic and it was all good! Especially Scattered Black and Whites, which is such a special song to me. Bliss...sheer bliss! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeThu 01 May 2008, 15:48

Oh, you so should have shouted!

SBAW...you lucky thing, that's one of my personal favourites as well.
Back to top Go down
erasure
fallen angel
fallen angel

Female Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 02 May 2008, 14:32

Listening to TSSK right now and just had to add that the bit of piano at the end of Mirrorball's chorus is quite possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever heard.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Craig Potter Appreciation Thread
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next