elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread

Go down 
+11
MagicalTrevor
ChrissyBoy
Mr Woman
mrswoman
Misspelt Yoof
Dikky
Mr_K
Jones
bluefield
Dabamash
Leo
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Empty
PostSubject: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 19 Sep 2008, 18:43

this is for all of your favourite moments of his show. and to discuss how brilliant it is; how he has introduced you to new bands, and how he has providing stupendous, edge-of-the-seat, juicy-fuitily fabulous entertainment for you.

my favourite jools moment has to be "Go To Sleep - Radiohead"

astonishimg cheers javascript:emoticonp('cheers')
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 19 Sep 2008, 18:44

He is an ugly son of a bitch, but I can't fault his playing.
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSat 20 Sep 2008, 07:06

Jools is both great and also irritating, on the plus side he has introduced me to some astounding music and his tastes or the tastes of the show are wide ranging, on the minus side we have to put up with his irritating celeb mates and the obligatory interview with them to push latest book/film and his almost obligatory appearence on keyboards with as many bands/singers as he can manage, a trait of musicains if I am honest.
But that said I always look forward to seeing who is on the show and most times are not dissapointed.
And to prove that point
Elbow are on this week heeeeeeeeeeey
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed 24 Sep 2008, 12:55

I've been to a few of his gigs and they are always brilliant.
Lots of Boogie Woogie, dancing and great party atmosphere.
I think people tend to forget that he is actually a pretty good musician...
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed 24 Sep 2008, 13:51

I think Later is great, and whilst Jools has always been a bit annoying - even back when presenting The Tube - I agree with Jones, he is a belting musician when he wants to be.
Do any of you remember The The's "Uncertain Smile"? Jools' piano solo on that track sends shivers down the spine - utterly mesmerising. I challenge anyone to listen to that and not sit in stupified wonder. Genius.

Squeeze were pretty good too, of course.

(Tiny bit of trivia here - my Dad was Squeeze's lawyer (or maybe their management's) back when I was a lad - we had Glenn Tilbrook & Chris Difford in our front room for a cup of tea once. Sadly not Jools, though)
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed 24 Sep 2008, 13:57

haha awesome!!!!
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed 24 Sep 2008, 14:29

Mr_K wrote:

(Tiny bit of trivia here - my Dad was Squeeze's lawyer (or maybe their management's) back when I was a lad - we had Glenn Tilbrook & Chris Difford in our front room for a cup of tea once. Sadly not Jools, though)

That's really cool! I've never had famous people having cups of tea in my front room!
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed 24 Sep 2008, 14:44

Jones wrote:

That's really cool! I've never had famous people having cups of tea in my front room!

It is kind of odd, because they and Suzi Quatro (who never popped round for tea) were his only Rock And Roll clients (man) as far as I know - the rest were the usual boring (to a 12 year old - anyway) business types.
Back to top Go down
Dikky
little beast
little beast

Male Number of posts : 64

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed 24 Sep 2008, 15:48

Mr_K wrote:

I'd take Glen and Chris over Jools any day of the week. I love Glen me.
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008, 12:15

Later is a great programme in spite of Jools Holland!
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008, 15:01

Jools is a LEGEND!!
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 26 Sep 2008, 12:51

Loved him on 'The Tube', usually always watch 'Later' and Squeeze are still a fave, even now.

But there's something hilarious about his simultaneously inspiring, manic, knowledgable and bohemian qualities. In our daft family, Jools Holland is summed up in a single-word running gag that has to be said out loud, mimicing Jools' own distinctive nasal voice: "Goldfrapp!!!"
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 26 Sep 2008, 14:41

mrswoman wrote:
Loved him on 'The Tube', usually always watch 'Later' and Squeeze are still a fave, even now.

But there's something hilarious about his simultaneously inspiring, manic, knowledgable and bohemian qualities. In our daft family, Jools Holland is summed up in a single-word running gag that has to be said out loud, mimicing Jools' own distinctive nasal voice: "Goldfrapp!!!"

at last!. some one else who loves the little rotund gent.

i love how he over pronounces the "head" at the end of band's names - like radiohead, portishead, bellowhead... he always goes "radioHEAD" OR "portisHEAD"

haha
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 26 Sep 2008, 17:04

I liked that padded police-style jacket he wore once a few years back. Instead of the word "police" on it, it had the word "polite".
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 26 Sep 2008, 18:35

I like the mix of stuff he does and has on the shows too. Normally the bands are quality in their field and the music played well.

Did Jools write any of the stuff with Squeeze, cause i seem to remember a few decent/funny lyrics and tunes (although I can't say for sure, cause i don't know that much of their stuff)

I recall Labelled With Love, Up The Junction, Cool for Cats
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 26 Sep 2008, 19:25

I find it just a little bit indulgent that he manages to squeeze ( no pun intended) on to the piano stool with any band he can and tinkle the ivories, It would be nice if a band came on with a track that featured a bit of tasty barelhouse piano and refused him.
But hey only a small petty hate in a world where people like Simon Cowel and Jordan are revered, Jools is a shining star and a talented bloke long may he live
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSat 27 Sep 2008, 08:00

Maybe they do refuse him, maybe those that he plays with, welcome him. I can't imagine a show like this would forcibly violate artistic integrity.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSat 27 Sep 2008, 09:51

exactly. we must remember that jools is a fabulous musician. if he offered a band to play with him, im sure theyd be ecstatic Shocked
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeMon 29 Sep 2008, 14:54

Jools is a great musician, but i have to say, I can't stand the man Razz he's reeeeeeeallllllllllly irritating, in my opinion anyway Razz
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue 30 Sep 2008, 13:02

Later... has got to be one of the greatest shows of all time. I'd rather watch it than anything else, I reckon. I can see why people would find him annoying, but his passion for music is enough for me to appreciate him along with what he does Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeFri 17 Oct 2008, 23:10

it was awful tonight
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeTue 07 Apr 2009, 13:21

Later... returns tonight with turns from Franz Ferdinand, The Specials and Yeah Yeah Yeahs amounst others.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Later with Jools Holland   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeThu 09 Apr 2009, 14:26

From the BBC website:

Quote :
Due to the popularity of Later... with Jools Holland and to make the allocation of tickets fairer, BBC Studio Audiences are once again operating random draws for this series.

Phonelines and webform registration for the second random draw of the current series will open on Monday 13 April at 9am and close on Monday 20 April at 5pm.

Applications for tickets will not be accepted outside of these times.

Recording dates for the second random draw are:
28 April
5 May

Well, Elbow have been on before, you never know! Wink Does anyone know if there's a way of finding out who's going to be on these shows (I'll probably put in for tix anyway)?

BTW Doves are on next Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
The DaddyO 44
fallen angel
fallen angel
The DaddyO 44

Male Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeWed 21 Mar 2012, 23:44

Later would be a damn good show without Jools Holland.
Boogie Woogie?? ......just two hands wankin lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread   Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jools Holland (Later) Appreciation Thread
Page 1 of 1