elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

new Single New York Morning - First Play

Go down 
+13
AyannaD
Lynne
ChrissyBoy
elbowismymuse
sparky
Jones
My Bury Vest
jEUR
ukkonen
Gaily67
Kim
Kiresg
errant
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jan 2014, 17:17

by the way, do we not get b-sides anymore???  Sad 

I refuse to buy anything off I-tunes anyway (other download sites are available !) but noticed there is only a solitary track on both New York morning and Fly Boy Blue / Lunette available to download at the moment.

Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jan 2014, 17:17

elbowismymuse wrote:
Listened to it just now - not an extra section, just more chorus repetition (a good chorus so not a bad thing) and I think a longer intro/more instrumentation throughout.

A great song.  Smile

great news!

that fits with what guy was saying to chris evans last week, how craig had been up all the previous night mixing the radio version...
Back to top Go down
Kiresg
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-12-02

PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jan 2014, 17:20

No bside?! That's 70% of the reason I was even excited
Back to top Go down
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jan 2014, 18:11

It is a shame about the lack of B-side.

"Oh my giddy aunt, New York can talk; it's the Modern Rome and folk are nice to Yoko."

Only Guy Garvey could write that lyric! Laughing
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jan 2014, 18:28

We will be playing the new single on our show tonight.

www.fabradiointernational.com

The Ripman Show - Monday's 7-9pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
hairy
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-01-27

PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jan 2014, 18:56

Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jan 2014, 20:42

Haven't heard it on Irish Radio yet...
But I've been listening to it on loop and loving it more and more all the time; lovely, uplifting, celebratory... Brilliant!
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jan 2014, 00:23

Really loving this single. warm and uplifting. The video is so good too, love the characters. Oh it's that time once again, Elbow time........ Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Kiresg
little beast
little beast

PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jan 2014, 00:37

I'm going to have to pack up and move to the UK already because I'm getting pretty frustrated with the fact that I can't legitimately download the damn thing anywhere.

Back to top Go down
AyannaD
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jan 2014, 03:51

Kiresg wrote:
I'm going to have to pack up and move to the UK already because I'm getting pretty frustrated with the fact that I can't legitimately download the damn thing anywhere.

I know how you feel. It is very frustrating.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jan 2014, 14:16

AyannaD wrote:
Kiresg wrote:

I know how you feel. It is very frustrating.

And I'm in the same boat too! I realize the US market is not Elbow's primary concern at this point in time, and I truly don't blame them. I just wish there was some way to acknowledge and include those of us in the States who love their music. Surely there could be no harm in allowing US fans to purchase downloads at the same time as UK fans...? Oh well, I've been frustrated by this for over a decade now, and the second-class status that fans have over here is nothing new, so I suppose I need to just build a bridge and get over it. *end rant*

*back on topic* The single is lovely, and the video even more so. When I grow up I wanna be Lois and Dennis. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kiresg
little beast
little beast

PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jan 2014, 23:10

Here's my go at the lyrics:

Quote :
the first to put a simple truth in words
binds the world in a feeling all familiar
'cause everybody owns the great ideas
and it feels like there's a big one round the corner

antenna up and out into New York
somewhere in all that talk is all the answers
and oh my giddy aunt, New York can talk
it's the modern Rome (and folk are nice to Yoko)

every bone of rivet steel, each corner stone and angle
[jenga jut], and ruster water tower, pillar, postage sign;
every painted line and battered, laddered building in this town
sings a life of proud endeavour and the best that man can be

me, I see a city and I hear a million voices
planning, drilling, welding, carrying their fingers to the nub
reaching down into the ground
stretching up into the sky
why? because they can, they did, and do so you and I could live together

oh my god, New York can talk
so where in all that talk is all the answers?
everybody owns the great ideas

the desire in the patchwork symphony
the desire like a distant storm
for love, did it call for me

the way the day begins decides the shade of everything
but the way it ends depends on if you're home
for every soul, a pillow and a window, please
in the modern rome (where folk are nice to Yoko)
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 Feb 2014, 12:25

Out of interest, did this single get an actual physical release? do bands release CD singles anymore (i've never been into HMV in years!).

i kinda assume it didnt as i hadnt heard about any b-sides - i guess this is a thing of yester-year now?
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Feb 2014, 21:43

I've been listening to New York Morning pretty often these days, and the more I hear it, the more I am getting out of it. The lyrics, if they're what I think they are, have reminded me of my dad in a funny way. My father was born in New York, and worked in the city as a teenager, ushering in a theater during Broadway shows. He saw many of the better ones during the 1960's and grew to really love the theater, especially musicals. His view of NYC was very much colored by that, and he had the most romantic sort of view of the city.

When I was growing up, he took me and my sister there as often as he could, and even though we thought it was exciting, we were quite put off by the noise, trash, and general craziness. Plus, we were there when it was still well seedy and fairly dangerous. But walking those streets with my dad, you'd have thought we were in Eden - just the most beautiful, civilized, advanced, perfect place on earth. His thoughts about the history and spirit of New York were completely rose-colored, and the way Guy sings of the city on this track is just exactly how my dad always felt. Needless to say, I've warmed to this single a great deal now. Looking forward to hearing it live in May.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Feb 2014, 22:41

errant wrote:
Out of interest, did this single get an actual physical release?  do bands release CD singles anymore (i've never been into HMV in years!).

Concord Music in the US released a CD promo single, in a proper CD case.  It came with three versions of "New York Morning" -- a "Full Version," a "Radio Edit," and an "Album Version."  None of them have the voice-over from the video.

This is what it looks like, with a reflection of my dining room chandelier. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Feb 2014, 22:50

allyngibson wrote:
errant wrote:
Out of interest, did this single get an actual physical release?  do bands release CD singles anymore (i've never been into HMV in years!).

Concord Music in the US released a CD promo single, in a proper CD case.  It came with three versions of "New York Morning" -- a "Full Version," a "Radio Edit," and an "Album Version."  None of them have the voice-over from the video.

This is what it looks like, with a reflection of my dining room chandelier. Smile

do the album version & full version differ?
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Feb 2014, 23:08

Yes, they are different.  The Album version is longer. Smile

Hold on.  Let me queue them up...

The Full Version runs 4:27.  The Full Version also has a clean outro; the Album version ends abruptly as it seques into what would be the following track on the album.

The Album version runs 5:19.  It has a longer intro (Full runs about 23 seconds, Album version runs almost a minute because it has a 27 second instrumental passage at the beginning that's basically the intro without vocals).  It also has one additional reprise of the chorus at the end.

The Radio Edit runs 3:18. It chops one of the verses.  I'm going to have to double check on which one.

The Video Mix (4:54 from the mp3 I snagged from a Youtube-to-mp3 service) is the Full Version, with the voice-over dubbed over the Album Version's intro (hence the longer instrumental passage) and a later instrumental break.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Feb 2014, 23:13

allyngibson wrote:
Yes, they are different.  The Album version is longer. Smile

Hold on.  Let me queue them up...

The Full Version runs 4:27.  The Full Version also has a clean outro; the Album version ends abruptly as it seques into what would be the following track on the album.

The Album version runs 5:19.  It has a longer intro (Full runs about 23 seconds, Album version runs almost a minute because it has a 27 second instrumental passage at the beginning that's basically the intro without vocals).  It also has one additional reprise of the chorus at the end.

The Radio Edit runs 3:18.  It chops one of the verses.  I'm going to have to double check on which one.

The Video Mix (4:54 from the mp3 I snagged from a Youtube-to-mp3 service) is the Full Version, with the voice-over dubbed over the Album Version's intro (hence the longer instrumental passage) and a later instrumental break.

thanx - top effort - brilliant post!
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 13 Mar 2014, 06:58

I've got to say that I absolutely adore this song now ; it's been a slow burner with me, took me quite a while to grasp it but this morning driving to work I was covered in goosebumps listening to it - I love the lyrics especially the third paragraph :

every bone of rivet steel, each corner stone and angle
[jenga jut], and ruster water tower, pillar, postage sign;
every painted line and battered, laddered building in this town
sings a life of proud endeavour and the best that man can be

This could be my new official singalong in Liverpool along with 'My Sad Captains' !

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new Single New York Morning - First Play   new Single New York Morning - First Play - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

new Single New York Morning - First Play
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2