elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Friend of Ours

Go down 
+20
Cestriansteve
Tailfly
Eag
My Bury Vest
Jones
Stockhaus
PickyBugger
TamedLamia
Grant
Leo
SeldomSeenSimon
crumbly lancashire
Calum
Robeman
bennyhana22
ukkonen
ChrissieInFL
emma
MagicalTrevor
Jonny
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeFri 04 Apr 2008, 16:17

At first I found this song a bit forgettable... not now though. It's beautiful! The small bits of piano towards the end send shivers down my spine...
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeFri 04 Apr 2008, 16:48

Stunning...utterly breathtaking.

"Love you mate"... three words that (in context) just hold such strong emotion about loss, friendship, pain.

My current favourite song on the album
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeFri 04 Apr 2008, 19:47

It does seem to carry the themes of the album's title, eh? Elbow must consider it special
Back to top Go down
emma
friend of ours
friend of ours
emma

Female Number of posts : 144

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeMon 07 Apr 2008, 23:41

I completely agree. It's my favourite track on the album and finishes it perfectly.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2226544041
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeTue 08 Apr 2008, 09:31

I surprised they didn't play this on Sunday. but they did The Stops so I let them off Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeTue 08 Apr 2008, 18:20

I love this song. They get a lot of emotional mileage out of very simple lyrics. And the music sounds very atmospheric; kinda like Explosions In The Sky in places. Gorgeous...
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeTue 08 Apr 2008, 19:08

It's always hard to relate to a song about another individual's death, especially since you didn't know the individual and it doesn't quite affect you like it does with the band. But with this song, I can't help but allow it to apply to my own life without thinking 'this isn't about ___, it's about someone I don't even know'. All of their lyrics are easy to relate to and I have never felt as though every word in songs similar to this one as being truly genuine as not a lot of artists can pull that sort of feat off quite well, but Guy is able to do it effortlessly.
Back to top Go down
bennyhana22
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeTue 08 Apr 2008, 21:00

I think it's the track from SSK that would sound most at home on AITB. Very 'classically' elbow...
Back to top Go down
Robeman
little beast
little beast
Robeman

Male Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2008, 20:43

Yeah, i love this song. So sad, yet so beautiful. Especially the part when he sings "Salford skyline blue, always you, could fly round any corner"...oops, that was almost half the lyrics in it, ah well...it's brilliant!
Back to top Go down
Calum
friend of ours
friend of ours
Calum

Male Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 01:34

I think it's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

Having just lost a good mate of mine recently, it gets me pretty emotional. As Trev said it's the line "Love you mate" that gets me the most.
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 04:57

Cor... that's a powerful coincidence there.
Back to top Go down
crumbly lancashire
newborn
newborn

Male Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-04-23

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeWed 23 Apr 2008, 12:28

The song is a homage to Bryan Glancy, a much loved and underrated singer/songwriter from North M/cr who sadly died in Jan 2006. There's an entry on the blog set up in his memory (bryanglancy.blogspot.com) from Mr Garvey dated June 2006, which gives a good indication of what the track's about.
Back to top Go down
SeldomSeenSimon
newborn
newborn
SeldomSeenSimon

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeTue 04 Nov 2008, 00:42

Like every good song, this touches you before even know of its context. It's universal. Beautiful song!
Back to top Go down
http://www.moultygiventofly.com
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeTue 04 Nov 2008, 16:02

all true...

but when are they going to play it live?????
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeTue 04 Nov 2008, 17:07

never!!! They'll all burst into tears Razz :roll:sad but true
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeTue 04 Nov 2008, 17:38

they? you mean we as well. i always nearly do.
i reckon if they did do it live, it'd be a bit like tower crane - a lot more powerful than expected.
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeTue 04 Nov 2008, 17:57

It's a bit hard to sing when crying, don't you think? Razz
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeTue 04 Nov 2008, 18:14

garvey 'll do it.
and the shure sm58 microphone he uses is a dynamic microphone, so it doesnt matter if it gets wet. haha. music tech teaches you so many things
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeTue 04 Nov 2008, 18:15

yeah, but when you cry, you're vocal chords move of their own free will, things you learn when you love biology Wink
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeMon 10 Nov 2008, 12:42

Though I can't help the feeling, that Guy was close to tears on that early version of "Some Riot" back in Amsterdam I could imagine too, that "Friend of ours" might be too emotional for them to do live.
And yes, because the vocal chords go their own way when sobbing I changed in my singing school the music direction from pop/rock/jazz to funny chansons a la Noel Coward Wink
But must admid it would be moving to watch Garve singing while tears dripple out his hazlegreen eyes...I would surely start sobbing too...(I do anyway on songs like "Towercrane driver")
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
PickyBugger
fallen angel
fallen angel
PickyBugger

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-09-02

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeMon 10 Nov 2008, 19:36

Love this song, it's utterly beautiful.
I started crying when this song came on, on the outward journey of my gap year after saying bye to my closest friends knowing i wouldn't see them for a year.. Not quite the same as the context of the song, but the lyrics really got to me.
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeTue 17 Feb 2009, 03:01

i ended up crying today when listening to the version with the BBC orchestra (again)
It is a truly amazing song this one.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeWed 18 Feb 2009, 18:38

Yea, it's one of the tracks that I really liked in the orchestra rendition.
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeWed 18 Feb 2009, 21:45

Yes, I really liked the orchestra version especially as I'd only ever heard the album version before.
I wished they'd do it on the live shows...
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitimeThu 19 Feb 2009, 06:42

To be frank, the first time I heard this track I fell head over heels in love with it.......it's sparse, touching, believable and truly, truly spellbinding. Agree with Jones regarding the orchestral version, it was the first time I had seen the band play it live and visually it worked a treat and just added to the beauty of it all.

I'd love them to play it on the next tour, but if it's going to be spoiled by people gabbing during it, then leave it alone. It's between this track and Atmosphere by Joy Divsion for my funeral song, but heh ! I'm in a fine mood and just making conversation, haha !! Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Friend of Ours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friend of Ours   Friend of Ours Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Friend of Ours
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next