elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

arcade fire

Go down 
+16
JMN
NeonChoir
mrswoman
My Bury Vest
LongLegs
Dano
sparky
Mirrorball
Scrimple
Mr Woman
calypso
bluefield
ChrissieInFL
Steveissteve
fadeupyoursmile
the dissemiNATION
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

arcade fire - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Dec 2010, 16:14

Wow, so many great reviews for the shows over this past week...*jealous* Glad y'all had fun!
Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 14:43

Arcade Fire With The Vaccines, Mumford & Sons, Beirut

Hyde Park
Thursday, 30 Jun 2011 at 4:00PM
On sale on Friday, 28 Jan 2011 at 9:00AM

seetickets.com
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 03 Feb 2011, 01:39

^ That concert looks amazing. I don't know The Vaccines, but I'm rather fond of the other three. x_x

Anyway, Arcade Fire. They're pretty much brilliant. Until "The Suburbs," I thought they were pretty good. After hearing that masterpiece of an album, I fell in love with them. I love you

I have to say one thing, however. I have no idea why people make such a big deal about "Sprawl II."
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

Male Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-11-04

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Feb 2011, 15:00

Grammy Award for Album Of The Year. I don't give much credit to the grammys, but...i'm happy for a band that deserves its success.

Last edited by Dano on Mon 14 Feb 2011, 18:28; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Feb 2011, 15:36

Just humble and likeable people, who have produced some amazing, brilliant music.

The greatness of 'City With No Children' just hit me yesterday - God, I love it when that happens !

August 31 in Manchester and Mr Bury-Vest shall be an eager attendee ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Feb 2011, 20:01

^ That song is my favorite! I love you
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Feb 2011, 21:37

So chuffed they got their Grammy. Very well-deserved for all that talent, originality - and let's face it - sheer coordination ability to keep so many band members moving and sounding good on stage without a major pile-up!
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
JMN
newborn
newborn

Male Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Feb 2011, 23:11

How could that award have reasonably gone to anyone else, eh? Such a deserving band with such a deserving album.

On a separate note:

NeonChoir wrote:
^ That concert looks amazing. I don't know The Vaccines, but I'm rather fond of the other three. x_x

I have to say one thing, however. I have no idea why people make such a big deal about "Sprawl II."

The Vaccines are "Britain's best new guitar band" (Q Mag) - hyperactive, loud, somewhat punkish... they'd fit in well with AF's Month of May (from The Suburbs).
I'm seeing them live Wednesday so I'll be able to voice a first hand opinion of them then.

As for Sprawl II, I think the thing is that in the context of the album, it was right after a slow, quiet song (i.e. Sprawl I Flatlands, which by the way, is my absolute fav from The Suburbs - the most emotional song I've heard since the likes of Tower Crane Driver and Switching Off).
There is a lot of contrast between Sprawl I and S II - and I think that's the thing.

Looking forward to Wednesday. I NEED to go to that Hyde Park gig!
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Feb 2011, 16:09

Thanks for the info! I may go look them up on YouTube or something.

See, that's the thing about "Sprawl II." I love "Sprawl I," and I felt like it should've been followed with something equally as awesome sounding. I understand what you're saying, but I felt like there could've been a more effective way of doing that, you know? I don't know, I just feel that it's a little lacking, given that it's supposed to be a follow-up. -shrug-

On an unrelated note, someone brought this Tumblr to my attention this morning:
Who is Arcade Fire?

It's quite sad, really.
Back to top Go down
JMN
newborn
newborn

Male Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Feb 2011, 22:21

Yeah, I've seen that Tumblr too. Quote from it: "Nowt on TV so gonna listen to The Suburbs brand new, un-deserved Grammy winning album Arcade Fire. Bet it isn't as good as Gaga!!!!"
Sure, people are entitled to their opinions and tastes, but Good God, some people really need to Wake Up.

Now, The Vaccines:

Their performance last night was pretty darn good. They're rockin' in a small space, but I think they might struggle to fill Hyde Park. I saw them at a venue with a capacity of about three hundred, and they blew the roof. But on a bill that includes Beirut, Mumford & Sons and Arcade Fire, they might struggle to make a big impact. What I'm saying is, you wouldn't go to Hyde Park right now to see The Vaccines if it was just them.

My opinion: The Vaccines are Britain's best new guitar band, but they're best seen at a smaller venue for now, because that's where they best fit in.

Debut album "What Did You Expect From The Vaccines" out March 14th in the UK, March 22nd in the US, I believe. Worth a listen if songs swathed in guitars are your thing.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 18 Feb 2011, 09:56

You need to check out Chapel Club, they make The Vaccines live look like amateurs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 18 Feb 2011, 10:19

JMN wrote:
"Nowt on TV so gonna listen to The Suburbs brand new, un-deserved Grammy winning album Arcade Fire. Bet it isn't as good as Gaga!!!!"

I think someone's having a laugh there, actually; taking the mickey out of all those clueless, horrified pop-tweenies who were confused by Arcade Fire's deserved win.
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 18 Feb 2011, 17:55

Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 18 Feb 2011, 18:27

Absolutely sublime Neon Choir - take a bow ! cheers
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 18 Feb 2011, 21:53

Love it, love it, love it! Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Feb 2011, 04:16

Very recently got into Arcade Fire and love them. I am big on melancholy and down-tempo stuff so Elbow, early Radiohead and early Coldplay are up my street, obviously..... not a lot of up-tempo, "happy" music does it for me, but Arcade Fire is a rare exception. Superbly talented band; favourites include "Wake Up", "No Cars Go", "Rebellion (Lies)" and I really like "The Suburbs" too.... need to listen to the whole album though!

Arcade Fire are so diverse though.... their slower stuff, for example, "Sprawl 1 (Flatlands)" is just stunning. I love the way AF make use of so many instruments and harmonise them and the vocals so creatively, differently to the way Elbow do, but this is largely why I love Elbow too.

I am a glutton for creative, REAL music that shows diversity. Elbow, clearly. Muse, definitelly, but Arcade Fire have recently been added to my collection too.

Back to top Go down
AyannaD
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Feb 2011, 20:37

Arcade Fire are a great live band, lots of fun and very energetic. If you get the opportunity to see this year, do it. You won't regret it. I wish they were touring near my this year, but alas, no luck.
Back to top Go down
Quent1n
fallen angel
fallen angel
Quent1n

Male Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar 2011, 17:03

I am seeing them in June and I cannot wait for this gig.
Though they will play in a quite big arena (5000 persons). I couldnt go to their previous one las summer, in 1500 persons place =(
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011, 02:18

Hey, man, a gig is a gig. Given I have yet to actually go to a show, I wouldn't care how many people were there if I could just go.
Back to top Go down
Quent1n
fallen angel
fallen angel
Quent1n

Male Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar 2011, 01:36

I meant I prefer little places than bigger.
And not only the Zenith, where they will play, is big, but it has an awful acoustic !

It will be awesome for sure though !!
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Mar 2011, 22:09

Yeah, I understood what you meant. Razz Smile
Back to top Go down
dustbowl
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Mar 2011, 19:29

amazing band saw them at reading for 1st time last year blew us away
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: arcade fire   arcade fire - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

arcade fire
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: