elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Could SSK really be the last Elbow album ?

Go down 
+13
Robeman
evilpixie
Leo
JulieinTX
ChrissieInFL
Topaz
Hotblack
MagicalTrevor
ukkonen
Skeletor
Jonny
Dabamash
ChrissyBoy
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Could SSK really be the last Elbow album  ? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Could SSK really be the last Elbow album ?   Could SSK really be the last Elbow album  ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Aug 2008, 17:14

That's good, I was always hopeful Guy's original comments weren't cast in stone.
Probably off the cuff at the time of interview or designed to drive debate.
....and hopefully swung by their success and our appreciation !
Back to top Go down
Robeman
little beast
little beast
Robeman

Male Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Could SSK really be the last Elbow album ?   Could SSK really be the last Elbow album  ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Aug 2008, 12:40

As leo said..... I saw in an interview with Guy if I don't remember it wrong that they're planning another album, and the new one wouldn't take as much time as the SSK he said!! yay cheers
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Could SSK really be the last Elbow album ?   Could SSK really be the last Elbow album  ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Aug 2008, 19:35

Didn't Guy said in that new interview at -was it Lowlands??- that the next album will be Blues-influenced?
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518

PostSubject: Re: Could SSK really be the last Elbow album ?   Could SSK really be the last Elbow album  ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Aug 2008, 12:45

Yep. They're working on it right now. 60's, Blues, Hendrix, Cream-influenced. Can't recall what else Guy said about it but these are the words that stuck in my head. Should be brilliant.

Guy talks about it in about in this interview:

http://blogs.lesoir.be/festivals/2008/08/17/linterview-video-delbow/
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Could SSK really be the last Elbow album ?   Could SSK really be the last Elbow album  ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Aug 2008, 13:02

jonny wrote:
I dunno, I reckon there's always been the divide. In say... 1975 while one guy was listening to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here for the 25th time that day, another might be tapping along to the Jackson 5's Dancing Machine and that'll do him for music that day.

I think it's important that popular music doesn't lose this double-sided coin thing it's got going!

I totally agree with that sentiment
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Could SSK really be the last Elbow album ?   Could SSK really be the last Elbow album  ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Aug 2008, 16:11

Oh my god... cheers topaz... what an interview... and the childrens film aswell as an album, all within a years time!! awesome!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345

PostSubject: Re: Could SSK really be the last Elbow album ?   Could SSK really be the last Elbow album  ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Aug 2008, 16:58

Yes, cheers Topaz. Really enjoyed that one.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

PostSubject: Re: Could SSK really be the last Elbow album ?   Could SSK really be the last Elbow album  ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Aug 2008, 19:05

Topaz wrote:
Yep. They're working on it right now. 60's, Blues, Hendrix, Cream-influenced. Can't recall what else Guy said about it but these are the words that stuck in my head. Should be brilliant.

Guy talks about it in about in this interview:

http://blogs.lesoir.be/festivals/2008/08/17/linterview-video-delbow/

THAT interview I meant... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518

PostSubject: Re: Could SSK really be the last Elbow album ?   Could SSK really be the last Elbow album  ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 27 Aug 2008, 00:36

No problem as our lovely MagicalTrevor had posted the link over in announcements about a week or so back. pirat
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: Could SSK really be the last Elbow album ?   Could SSK really be the last Elbow album  ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 27 Aug 2008, 06:37

All Hail Me!
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Could SSK really be the last Elbow album ?   Could SSK really be the last Elbow album  ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 27 Aug 2008, 08:46

MT is always ahead of the game!! its not fair!! Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Could SSK really be the last Elbow album ?   Could SSK really be the last Elbow album  ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 18 Mar 2010, 08:42

Guy Garvey, in the Guardian, wrote:
I was over the moon when I heard that Pink Floyd had won their legal battle with EMI last week. They successfully asserted their right to make their albums available only to download in full, and not as individual tracks. It wasn't because I saw it as a David v Goliath victory – Pink Floyd are pretty gigantic – but because, as a musician, the integrity of the album means everything to me.

Don't get me wrong: I've got 10,000 tracks on my iPod, and some days I'll stick it on shuffle. John Lennon will pop up next to Spike Jones and his City Slickers, and that's great. But listening to an album in full offers a different experience. With my favourite records, when you finish them, you're not in the same place you were when you put them on. They change your mood, tell you a story, take you away somewhere.

We wanted our most recent album, The Seldom Seen Kid, available only to download in full, or in bundles of tracks – but we were met with huge opposition. Big digital vendors such as iTunes don't like the idea because they think it takes choice away from the consumer. And record companies don't like it because they think bundling albums will make less money.

So I'm grateful to Pink Floyd; from a purely artistic perspective, it just makes sense. Their albums do not work as individual tracks, apart from the ones they released as singles. They will make less money now, but that wasn't the point. They want to preserve the integrity of their music, and shouldn't every artist have that right?

Some bands, such as Ash, are releasing a song a month, which is fine if it's what you want to do. But where they are in effect choosing to bring out a collection of short stories, we think of Elbow albums as novels with chapters. The songs prop each other up; they're not concept albums, but are intended to work as a whole. In fact, when we'd almost finished The Seldom Seen Kid, we wrote extra tracks because we thought the album was lacking certain colours at certain points.

And that's the thing with an album: you spend a big chunk of your life making it and you think about every note, bleep, squeak and crackle. This week I've been mastering the I Am Kloot album, which I'm co-producing with Craig from Elbow. We spent two hours in the studio with the band, arguing about whether the gap between tracks should be three seconds, or two and a half. When you've put your heart and soul into something, you want people to hear it as it was intended.

Taking a track out of context can change its meaning. One of my favourite albums of recent years is Glory Hope Mountain by the Acorn. Rolf Klausener wrote it about how his mother escaped an abusive childhood in Honduras, where her mother died in childbirth. The last track, Lullaby, is written from his grandmother to his mother. If you heard it on its own, you'd think it was incredibly beautiful; when you hear it at the end of the album, it's devastating.

I'm not saying the labels and iTunes are the bad guys. They've revolutionised access to music, and moved with the consumer, improving sound quality and making music available across more platforms. I just think it'd be good if they'd move with artists a little bit, too. They wouldn't be anywhere without music, and the integrity of the artists making that music should be respected. That's why I'm knocked out that Pink Floyd won: the album is an art form that deserves protection.
Back to top Go down
Cozzer
little beast
little beast
Cozzer

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Could SSK really be the last Elbow album ?   Could SSK really be the last Elbow album  ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 18 Mar 2010, 09:34

Just read the Guardian interview. I understand and respect Guy's/Pink Floyd's POV. However, I don't think it will herald a sea change in terms of buying/selling patterns. It's just that some bands will choose to exercise their right to offer album-only downloads whilst others will be happy to get their royalties whatever way they can.

Interesting that Pink Floyd haven't produced any new music since 1994, so cynics could argue that this is a way of protecting future revenues.

BTW is it me or does Guy look as if he's been dining out rather too often? Time for a trip down to Weight Watchers methinks Surprised
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

PostSubject: Re: Could SSK really be the last Elbow album ?   Could SSK really be the last Elbow album  ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 18 Mar 2010, 12:04

I understand too very much the Floyds. If you ever listened under headphones a Floyd-Album on mp3 you feel uncomfortable when it sudden stops and begins again because each song floats into the next.
Same with "Lamb lies down" by Genesis or RPWL's "The RPWL Experience" or most live CDs. It disturbs the mood. Neutral

and about Guy's round face...my mom said too the other day she thinks he looks slightly bloated lately... maybe it's not the meals but the beer...? Suspect
Or maybe...he's off the cigarettes again?? Last time he went quite portly it was when he did not smoke ca. a half year... scratch
and if Guy or Craig read this...sorry for those fan-ish stuff... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Could SSK really be the last Elbow album ?   Could SSK really be the last Elbow album  ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Could SSK really be the last Elbow album ?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2