elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cast of thousands

Go down 
+30
The DaddyO 44
Boney-Crisp
citizen
errant
Moultyx
The Final Track
lifeswhatyoumakeit
Hunta
TamedLamia
allyngibson
Lynne
nellie
Stockhaus
newborn
ChrissieInFL
Hotblack
Jones
Topaz
Leo
lucky with disease
yesman
Glendarian
ChrissyBoy
Eag
mrswoman
heshofcheese
bluejayway
MagicalTrevor
fadeupyoursmile
tojk
34 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
tojk
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 17:50

I read all your comments on the site and it's interesting to see or so it seems Cast would probably be generally peoples least popular album. It surprises me as I think it's signature album ie) very dark, very intense. The third and fourth seem a lot more optimistic in tone. All good stuff though. I think Cast is what Elbow are about.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 18:00

It's been mentioned in quite a few interviews, that's it's the band's least favorite, personally it's my favorite!
Back to top Go down
tojk
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 19:06

I think it is brilliant and I am surprised the band don't take great credit for it.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 19:18

I wonder if COT contains the ONE album song that the band is not proud of.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 19:35

It's a great album, but it is my least favourite. However Fugitive Motel is one of my favourite songs by them, Ribcage always warms my heart and I love the darkness of the record.
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 20:14

MagicalTrevor wrote:

Is that a quote, Trev? Never heard that one...
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 20:19

Sarah wrote:
It's been mentioned in quite a few interviews, that's it's the band's least favorite, personally it's my favorite!

I wonder if thats down to the fraught circumstances that it was recorded under, rather than the actual songs themselves. Didn't Guy come down with some illness at that time as well? It may be looked upon by the band very much like REM view "Fables" - and that's my favourite REM album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 20:31

All the skin on his forehead peeled off!
I think i remember hearing that Button's and Zips would be less than a favorite!
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 20:37

I was wondering if MT was talking about Fallen Angel? That got judged pretty harshly on an old interview.silent

Tojk, I agree that COT's a defining sound; it's probably because of that I've always loved every single track. If pushed I'd probably even say it was my favourite album, but its like comparing best friends: You love them all, each with their different personalities.
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 20:38

Sarah wrote:
All the skin on his forehead peeled off!
Groo! pale
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 20:53

Back to top Go down
Eag
little beast
little beast
Eag

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 21:47

mrswoman wrote:
it's like comparing best friends: You love them all, each with their different personalities.

Isn't that true Wink

Cast of Thousands was my first Elbow album - extremely quickly followed by Asleep in the Back once I'd listened to it! These two do define Elbow's style, but (for obvious reasons) COT lacks a bit of depth in comparison to AITB.

Thing is, trying to criticise is so tough because if you take a step back and look at the track-listing, it's so hard to find a weak link. For me it's maybe the last 3 tracks, but overall I absolutely love it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 21:59

COT is a great album, definately fraught times though. It used to be my favourite, but LOTFW is now. Fugitive Motel is undoubtedly one of the best tracks they have ever done. I personally think looking backwards with hindsight that it was so difficult because of the pressure / record company issues. Lets face it, look what a magical job they did with SSK. Left to their own devices, we are getting more of the artist - a bit like a directors cut ? and What a Cut....
Back to top Go down
Eag
little beast
little beast
Eag

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 22:06

ChrissyBoy wrote:
COT is a great album, definately fraught times though. It used to be my favourite, but LOTFW is now.

It's pretty interesting, as with recent interviews the guys have given us more insight into LOTFW and the issues they faced getting that even into existence. Those fraught times seem only to have brought out defiance to get it heard! You're right though ChrissyBoy - having more of a free rein must have helped SSK to blossom as it was made, especially with Craig putting it all together Smile
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 22:09

Absolutely, i don't think anyone could argue with that ! Cool
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 23:21

Sarah wrote:
Enjoy enojoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF8vE3a8OXo
6 minutes of pure, wonderful ahhhhh! cheers 5:10 with the white coats is especially ace.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeSat 04 Apr 2009, 04:24

heshofcheese wrote:
MagicalTrevor wrote:

Is that a quote, Trev? Never heard that one...

Can' remember where I heard it...think it was on here somewhere. Garv said this, and said he wouldn't say which one it was. Buttons and Zips sounds about right though.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeSat 04 Apr 2009, 06:07

Good to see COT getting some love. Smile I too am very fond of it - like people say it's hard to choose, but for me it's a "moment" thing as well as just being a wonderful album in its own right. I got AITB (if I had to choose probably my favourite) and couldn't stop playing it, but it was when Cast came out (and I saw them live for the first time) that I *really* became obsessed with them big-time. Wink A glorious start with Ribcage (I still remember sticking it in my CD player for the first time and "wanted to explode..." blowing me away), Fugitive Motel, Switching Off, Snooks (which I didn't immediately love till I saw it live), I've Got Your Number... great stuff. I also love the Soup Kitchen DVD, and also the videos for Fugitive Motel (which I think is wonderful though I know others don't) and Fallen Angel which is hilarious.

Is it just me or does the first album or couple of albums you got to know by a band thend to remain your favourite, whatebver else you hear and love by them?
Back to top Go down
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours
yesman

Male Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeSat 04 Apr 2009, 08:51

Glendarian wrote:

Is it just me or does the first album or couple of albums you got to know by a band thend to remain your favourite, whatebver else you hear and love by them?

I would say that this is often the case, however if I think of some of the bands I like, my favouriite album has not always been the first or second one . It is very rarely the most recent one though.

In the case of Elbow, I discovered TSSK before the others. I find it very difficult the pick one favourite as this tends to change often.

As far as COT is concerned, it has some really strong songs particularly (IMO) in the first half.
Ribcage and Switching off being two of my consistent faves.

PS Looks like I haven't quite sussed how to insert Glendarian's quote properly. Sorry !
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeSat 04 Apr 2009, 09:17

You missed the bracket off the quote opener. Luckily I am here to save the day as ever! afro
Back to top Go down
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours
yesman

Male Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeSat 04 Apr 2009, 11:19

MagicalTrevor wrote:
You missed the bracket off the quote opener. Luckily I am here to save the day as ever! afro

many thanks...I think I need some more practise in posting stuff !!!
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeSat 04 Apr 2009, 16:45

Glendarian wrote:
Good to see COT getting some love. Smile I too am very fond of it - like people say it's hard to choose, but for me it's a "moment" thing as well as just being a wonderful album in its own right. I got AITB (if I had to choose probably my favourite) and couldn't stop playing it, but it was when Cast came out (and I saw them live for the first time) that I *really* became obsessed with them big-time. Wink A glorious start with Ribcage (I still remember sticking it in my CD player for the first time and "wanted to explode..." blowing me away), Fugitive Motel, Switching Off, Snooks (which I didn't immediately love till I saw it live), I've Got Your Number... great stuff. I also love the Soup Kitchen DVD, and also the videos for Fugitive Motel (which I think is wonderful though I know others don't) and Fallen Angel which is hilarious.

I feel the same as you on all this, I came in on the tail end of Asleep...touring and missed their early sets with songs from the EPs and debut that aren't played live now. I still return to these first two albums, and their related b-sides, again and again, there is great depth in them.
I am interested in what Ben Hillier's part was in the production of these, as the band are rightly proud of their accomplishment in their independant production of the later albums... yet there is something about the first two.
They have played tracks from the last two albums far more live with the more intensive touring of 2005/6 and 2008/9 (apart from one or two, that are everthere, like Newborn, of course).
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeSat 04 Apr 2009, 21:53

I may have already stated that COT flutters between being my favourite or second favourite. I'd say that overall, its the album I relate to best. Not sure why, but every song seems to just 'fit'.

Anyway, Elbow certainly didn't have a case of 1st album syndrome just like evry other band about. COT was a superb follow up to their first cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeSat 04 Apr 2009, 23:20

I discovered Elbow through Cast of Thousands, therefore, it will always be up there for me. I'd say it's my second favourite.

Next I discovered Asleep in the Back, which quickly became my favourite.

Leaders and Seldom Seen Kid hold a special place in my heart as well though.

I can appreciate every one of their albums for what they are and love watching my beloved Elbow creating and meandering throughout all of their different stages, phases, experiences, and whatnot. It's like a journey.

I'm there for the ride!
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitimeSun 05 Apr 2009, 13:01

Topaz wrote:
I discovered Elbow through Cast of Thousands, therefore, it will always be up there for me.

Exactly the same for me!
I have said before that I don't really have a favourite, I think it depends on my mood.
Also, I tend to leave one of them on repeat and after while I swap it for another.
I will always have a soft spot for CoT, though: the one that opened my eyes! (well, ears, I guess!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cast of thousands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast of thousands   Cast of thousands Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cast of thousands
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next