elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Decemberists

Go down 
+12
theredroom
Mollyb
Mr Woman
yesman
ticky
al
nellie
My Bury Vest
sundaygirl
Hotblack
fadeupyoursmile
Glendarian
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-05-23

The Decemberists - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr 2009, 18:54

I can't get over how good it is! That lady from My Brightest Diamond has got one hell of a set of lungs. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009, 21:29

OoooOOOoooooH

The hazards of love!
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2009, 06:07

Repa-a-a-a-a-i-i-i-d!

I'm enjoying listening to My Brightest Diamond (who I'd never heard of before) on the strength of hearing her on this album. I'm also intending to check out more of Backy Stark when I get round to it - she's got a lovely voice too, in a different way.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 29 May 2009, 07:29

rascalphoto (in Your favourite tearjerker thread) wrote:
Oh...I haven't heard it. I will check it out. We just got tix for their show though and I am sooooo excited. Elbow may never come to Seattle, but that doesn't mean we can't have a few good shows!

Ooh, hope you enjoy! I appreciate how lucky we are for Elbow live (recent mad rushes for tickets aside) and hope they do come to Seattle for you before too long, but it works both ways sometimes - I really hope the Decemberists come back over here soon. I saw them a couple of years ago, but Colin was going down with food poisoning, poor thing, so fair play to him for soldiering on but obviously they weren't on top form, though they did brilliantly considering, and it was wonderful to see them anyway. The rest of the band were teasing him like mad, but apparently they all came down with it themselves the next day and the rest of the tour had to be cancelled. So let's hope they brave it back over here soon and avoid Wolverhampton curry houses this time. Very Happy

Regarding Sleepless (in Seattle? Wink), I tracked it down after I saw an Amazon customer review for the Hazards of Love that said the album was OK but they preferred Sleepless - now while that comment about Hazards is way OTT, I'm so glad it made me aware of this wonderful song.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 29 May 2009, 08:09

Yeah, i had tickets to see them in Bristol, and they had to cancel, understandably but very sad! I've still not seen them!
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 29 May 2009, 10:27

Colin was on radio 2 a while back, he said they'd be touring the UK sometime in Autumn. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 29 May 2009, 10:30

Yay, good news, thanks Al! Perhaps we should all club together and buy 'em a decent meal this time. Wink
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 29 May 2009, 10:31

I think Sarah would be more than willing... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 29 May 2009, 10:44

lol!
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 29 May 2009, 10:44

al wrote:
Colin was on radio 2 a while back, he said they'd be touring the UK sometime in Autumn. Very Happy

I heard that too. It was an interview on the Radcliffe and Maconie show at the time Hazards came out. I'm keeping a beady eye on the Decemberists website for tour info and have signed up for email alerts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 29 May 2009, 10:54

So you've become an "Adored Mailing List Recipient". Smile I love their mails.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 08:41

Glendarian wrote:
Yay, good news, thanks Al! Perhaps we should all club together and buy 'em a decent meal this time. Wink
I'm sure i could work out some sort of bed and breakfast for certain members of the band too! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 10:44

Glendarian wrote:
So you've become an "Adored Mailing List Recipient". Smile

I have indeed. Smile
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 14:00

I've just bought the Hazards of Love CD - on account of Glendarian's rating track 17. What a treat! I feel transported back to the 70's, but yet it's so fresh and original. Why did no-one mention them before?! Wink
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 14:17

Ooh I'm glad you're enjoying it (although in fariness I think it was rascalphoto who specifically mentioned Track 17 - I think The Wanting Comes in Waves is mine, but it's just such as whole it's hard to say). I was worried I'd been overdoing my raving about this album (it's been a recent major obsession of mine Wink) but I'm glad that other people are getting into it. Smile I know what you mean, all the best of the 70s but a totally "now" album in many ways. (I think I'll have to go off and have another listen now, hehe).
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 16:15

Glendarian wrote:
I know what you mean, all the best of the 70s but a totally "now" album in many ways.

I have to agree with that assessment too. It reminds me of a modern day 'Thick As A Brick' the way it's structured.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Jun 2009, 15:16

Me too. I've seen a number of reviews comparing aspects of the development of the Decemberists' sound in Hazards of Love to Jethro Tull, in terms that imply that Jethro Tull are the epitome of badness. Shocked Ahem, I object to one of my favourite bands being used in this way - personally I think it's a great compliment. Smile
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Jun 2009, 07:50

Glendarian wrote:
in terms that imply that Jethro Tull are the epitome of badness. Shocked
Yeah well.......some people have open minds and others are cloth-eared idiots. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours
yesman

Male Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Jun 2009, 14:26

On the strength of the comments I have read on this thread, I decided to check this band out .

Purchased Picaresque and Hazards of Love from Amazon . They both arrived yesterday.

Very impressed !!

I did not think they made records like this these days !!

As has been said earlier, Hazards of Love reminds me also of 70s prog rock / concept albums but with a very modern take. Almost new -retro , if there is such a thing .

Definately a group to follow !!

Thanks to all the comments which helped get me on-board
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Jun 2009, 14:39

yesman wrote:
On the strength of the comments I have read on this thread, I decided to check this band out .

Purchased Picaresque and Hazards of Love from Amazon . They both arrived yesterday.

Very impressed !!

I did not think they made records like this these days !!

As has been said earlier, Hazards of Love reminds me also of 70s prog rock / concept albums but with a very modern take. Almost new -retro , if there is such a thing .

Definately a group to follow !!

Thanks to all the comments which helped get me on-board

I know exactly what you mean - that's why I started the thread about prog rock.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 10:02

Hi All,

It's obvious that most people have a beltin' music taste on here, and having read about The Decemberists on here I'm gonna purchase from Play.com Picaresque for a full five english pounds.

I'll post my comments back on here once my ears have digested this aural musical delight, one hopes !! Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 10:15

Yay! You've inspired me to listen to it this morning - Decemberists are very much Sarah's baby, but I'm really getting into them (despite Sarah's bathtime renditions Razz) lately. I think there's a lot of similarities between these guys and elbow, I'm glad everyone's giving them a listen Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 08 Aug 2009, 13:30

Hello all - tickets have gone on sale for their only 2 shows in the UK - 18/19 November in London - Live Nation website.

I'm sure there's a few of us who will want to go.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 08 Aug 2009, 14:21

Want to, really really want to... But it's mid week. In London and i can't get the time off work!
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 08 Aug 2009, 14:23

Aye, looks like a treat in store! Though it's not the most handy location for me and about the most inconvenient date they could have chosen this year, I couldn't not go for it . Rolling Eyes Laughing My ticket arrived today, see you there (well if not at the MEN first of course!) Smile

PS Sorry, Sarah, our messages crossed. I'm sorry you can't (didn't want to sound heartless there).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Decemberists   The Decemberists - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Decemberists
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: