elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!

Go down 
+5
Jones
Topaz
ChrissyBoy
Wirralgir1
Ted
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

Male Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-04-19

Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Empty
PostSubject: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeSun 08 Mar 2009, 15:49

Well I am surprised that nobody north of the border has started a topic yet because Friday night at the Corn Exchange was nothing short of stunning. Having seen them twice before in less than a year I was worried they might be a bit samey but they proved me wrong. It was Guy's birthday which added to the awesome atmosphere in a venue that doesn't often fill up. I am going to write a review for my student paper and I will post that on here asap. I might throw in some piccies as well. I also got my first ever setlist off Jupp's drumkit and it even survived a student party after the gig! Was so chuffed to get that! I am sure Grant will back me up that it was a great evening.

Setlist:

Starlings
The Bones Of You
Mirrorball
Leaders Of The Free World
The Stops
Any Day Now
Mexican Standoff
Grounds For Divorce
The Loneliness Of A Tower Crane Driver
Newborn
Switching Off
Weather To Fly
One Day Like This

Some Riot
Station Approach
Scattered Black And Whites

Amazing setlist in my opinion...especially Switching Off which I hadn't heard live before. During that song a woman behind me fainted which was a bit unnerving but we got her out of the front safely. Guy bless him asked us if she was alright and someone said "yeah, it's because you're so gorgeous!" What a night!
Back to top Go down
Wirralgir1
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeSun 08 Mar 2009, 16:46

Hi,
Newbie signing in - I didn't want to be first !

That was only the second time I've seen the band play live, last year's Glasgow Academy gig was the first.
I have all the albums and some singles, but nothing prepared me for the live experience Shocked

Guy acts as though he's playing a personal gig for each fan; it's incredibly effective and he got some fun answers.
When he complained about the heat, he was told to take his top off - it didn't happen Smile
Aslking folk to guess his age, he got everything from 30 to 44.

The Corn Exchange was a much better venue, the Academy was huge and echoey, although it was still a class gig.

Thanks for the setlist Cool

Hope to see them again soon.
WG
Back to top Go down
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeSun 08 Mar 2009, 18:34

These are my faves and I won't upload any more pictures than these because there are so many about from various people and they all look relatively similar after a while I guess!

Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Cimg1210
Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Cimg1211
Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Cimg1212
Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Cimg1213
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeSun 08 Mar 2009, 19:26

Majorly jealous of you peeps !
I never seem to get any chance of these gigs due to family stuff, but i'm really pleased you all enjoyed them. Razz
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeSun 08 Mar 2009, 20:37

Nice!

Guy's lookin' mighty fine with that short haircut. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeSun 08 Mar 2009, 21:12

Those pics are fab and hey, I don't mind if you post a few more...! Wink
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeMon 09 Mar 2009, 14:28

Jones, contain yourself Razz It was an absolutely spectacular night, everyone was quiet for the support, i loved it Very Happy Highlights, for me, were, Mexican Standoff, Newborn (Obviously), and Scattered Black and Whites, though they were all great, they just stood out for me Very Happy

EDIT: P.S. sorry for the late reply, Ted Razz
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeMon 09 Mar 2009, 17:02

Excuse me? How can I contain myself?!
Those pics are bloody marvellous and I am mad jealous that I wasn't there! Mad
Did the man reveal his age? Question
Back to top Go down
Eag
little beast
little beast
Eag

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeMon 09 Mar 2009, 17:41

Jones wrote:
Those pics are bloody marvellous
Seconded! Starlings on my desktop Smile thanks for sharing Ted!
Jones wrote:
Wikipedia has a date, whatever that's worth Wink
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeMon 09 Mar 2009, 18:39

Jones wrote:
Excuse me? How can I contain myself?!
Those pics are bloody marvellous and I am mad jealous that I wasn't there! Mad

He did indeedy, I'm pretty sure that he said 35 Smile (Can you clarify this for me, ted? Razz)
It was only the second time that i've seen them live, but it was, by far, better than the Carling Academy Very Happy Razz
Back to top Go down
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeTue 10 Mar 2009, 02:12

I have no reason to doubt that 35 is correct! Glad you like the pictures guys! The last one (that isn't the setlist) is going in my student newspaper hopefully. Watch this space!
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeThu 12 Mar 2009, 21:13

does it sat "this is only a genuine setlist if it's written on it" in the bottom of the setlist?
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeThu 12 Mar 2009, 21:24

Wohoo, nice pics, nice new haircut! *blush*
Oh poor girl that fainted. I would have gone crazy if that would've happened to me.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeFri 13 Mar 2009, 09:04

Stockhaus wrote:
does it say "this is only a genuine setlist if this is written on it" in the bottom of the setlist?

Yeah, they all have them (well, the genuine ones! Razz )
Back to top Go down
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 00:58

Here is my review which should appear in our student paper this week:

Elbow
The Corn Exchange, Edinburgh
Friday 6th March

My knowledge of Chinese astrology is, at best, limited but I like to think that the past twelve months since the release of The Seldom Seen Kid will be remembered as ‘The Year Of The Elbow’. Since their fourth album was unleashed on the public, Elbow have picked up numerous awards, nailed the ever-important Glastonbury slot and recorded a gorgeous set at the legendary Abbey Road for the BBC. But enough about the past; this was about one night.

Having seen Elbow more than most, I am now convinced that their concerts possess a unique atmosphere that is somewhere between a deep conversation with a close friend and a loud reunion over a few good lagers with ‘the lads’. I tried my hardest to give the gig under the obligatory five stars but there was simply no reason why I could. To my mind, the evening at the much-maligned Corn Exchange was precisely what constitutes a great concert. Canadian support band The Acorn warmed to their first Scottish crowd with enthusiasm and played with confidence and a certain conviction that reminded us of who was coming.

When Elbow did take the stage in front of a crowd that was bursting at the seams, it was clear that it was going to be a good one. ‘Starlings’, the opener from The Seldom Seen Kid kicked off the evening with its glorious explosions of trumpet and it was after this song that lead-singer Guy Garvey announced to the already excited crowd that it was his birthday. As if the crowd needed any more encouragement. Renditions of ‘Happy Birthday’ spontaneously erupted throughout the night and at one point The Acorn and numerous roadies brought on a cake and some shots of an as yet unidentified spirit for Guy and the band to celebrate with in a touching moment of respite from a career spanning set list.

The sixteen songs we were treated to were all performed with the usual passion and precision that Elbow have made their trademark. When the big singles like ‘One Day Like This’ were played, all the new fans went wild but it was the lesser-known tracks that once again stood out. ‘Any Day Now’, the first song on 2001 debut Asleep In The Back brought back memories of hearing the band for the first time while ‘Mexican Standoff’ showed that Elbow aren’t afraid to put themselves down. “Your sweet reassurances don’t change the fact that he’s better looking than me”, sang Garvey with a wry smile. The key song of the performance was ‘Switching Off’ from 2003’s unfairly criticised album Cast Of Thousands. John Cale, no less, has stated that this song is one of his favourites of all time and it is easy to see why. An almost painfully tender piece about seeing your life flash before your eyes and choosing your final words, it caused one woman behind me to faint which prompted a concerned response from the band. Security said it was the heat, I say it was the music. “Is this making sense? What am I trying to say?” Only Guy Garvey could make such simple lyrics into something almost hymnal when he sings. In response to his question though, see Elbow if you have the opportunity. A genuine, consistently amazing British band who will always have a special place in fans’ hearts. Oh and if you were wondering…he was 35.
Thomas Edmunds
Back to top Go down
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeSat 21 Mar 2009, 12:34

And here is my review in our student newspaper. They cut a fair bit which was a shame and they didn't use my picture but I am still happy they use my reviews!

Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Elbowr10
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeSun 22 Mar 2009, 22:14

Congratulations Ted, it's great!
Just curious about the rest you wrote...
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeSun 22 Mar 2009, 22:20

It's on the previous page, i think that's more, not sure, though?
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeSun 22 Mar 2009, 22:28

Embarassed
Ahem.
You. are. right. of. course. Grant.

(Slinks off in shame...)
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeSun 22 Mar 2009, 22:44

Hahahahahahaha Razz Aw, Jones. I'll only mock you for a little while Razz
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeSun 22 Mar 2009, 22:47

lol!

Ah well.
What can I do but laugh at myself, eh?
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeSun 22 Mar 2009, 22:58

You're the forum fool Very Happy Razz
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeSun 22 Mar 2009, 23:12

Why, you!!!
Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! HomerChokingBart
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeSun 22 Mar 2009, 23:13

hahaha Razz well, homer is the plant idiot, i rest my case Razz
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitimeSun 22 Mar 2009, 23:33

Nice one, Ted!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!   Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh - Guy's Birthday Bash!
Page 1 of 1