elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Newcastle 5/3/09

Go down 
+3
Lillybef
Emma G
heshofcheese
7 posters
AuthorMessage
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Newcastle 5/3/09 Empty
PostSubject: Newcastle 5/3/09   Newcastle 5/3/09 Icon_minitimeFri 06 Mar 2009, 00:35

Well that was simply magnificent.

Highlights?

Too many to mention, didn't even notice the non-appearance of Great Expectations, even though it's my favourite song..

Electric atmosphere right from the start. Not too much annoying chatter during the quiet ones, as seems to have been the case elsewhere on the tour.

Band on top form, slight glitch at the start of Switching Off notwithstanding (Guy - "sorry lads!").

The whole gig dedicated to a fan who had been to see Elbow in every one of their previous Newcastle gigs and had a ticket for tonight, but had recently died.- Guy asked where his mates were in the crowd and got everyone to raise their glasses to the lad. What a simply wonderful touch.

All in all, I reckon that could be the best gig I've ever been to and I've been to a lot of gigs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
Emma G
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Newcastle 5/3/09 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcastle 5/3/09   Newcastle 5/3/09 Icon_minitimeFri 06 Mar 2009, 08:39

Agreed. It was totally spellbinding. Once again I'm left wondering how five seemingly ordinary blokes can make such a beautiful sound - utterly mesmerising.

Sadly - there wre a lot of talkers near me. I asked them to be quiet and was met with much derision. Shame. They know not what they do!!
Back to top Go down
Lillybef
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lillybef

Female Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Newcastle 5/3/09 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcastle 5/3/09   Newcastle 5/3/09 Icon_minitimeFri 06 Mar 2009, 12:31

What was the setlist for last night? Same as previous? Any suprises?
Back to top Go down
ImaginedAffair
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Newcastle 5/3/09 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcastle 5/3/09   Newcastle 5/3/09 Icon_minitimeFri 06 Mar 2009, 16:25

Agree with most of the reviews. Brilliant gig although spoilt by incessant talking and ignorant one-gig-a-year middle aged moaners complaining about people standing infront of them. Loved 'Newborn', 'Weather to Fly' and 'Leaders of the Free World'. Also got to hear my favourite Elbow song (Station Approach). First time seeing them live (I couldn't make the Sage gig due to illness) and this more than made up for it!

If any representative for Elbow reads this however, please play seated gigs next time. The material warrants a quiet and hushed atmosphere to get the full depth of most of the songs IMO, the chattering ruined a couple of songs for me and there were fans around me unimpressed with the levels of noise.
Back to top Go down
hilaryg
friend of ours
friend of ours
hilaryg

Female Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Newcastle 5/3/09 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcastle 5/3/09   Newcastle 5/3/09 Icon_minitimeFri 06 Mar 2009, 17:53

ImaginedAffair wrote:
If any representative for Elbow reads this however, please play seated gigs next time. The material warrants a quiet and hushed atmosphere to get the full depth of most of the songs IMO, the chattering ruined a couple of songs for me and there were fans around me unimpressed with the levels of noise.
Oh dear, I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree with you more. If I wanted to sit quietly and listen to a band I'd stay at home and stick a CD/DVD on. IMHO seated gigs have very little atmosphere in comparison to the usual Elbow venue.

Annoying as the chatterers are, in fact there are very few of them at Elbow gigs compared to other bands. Their scarceness is what makes them more irritating if you do have the bad luck to be near them.
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Newcastle 5/3/09 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcastle 5/3/09   Newcastle 5/3/09 Icon_minitimeFri 06 Mar 2009, 18:50

bettyblue wrote:
What was the setlist for last night? Same as previous? Any suprises?

If I remember correctly, the setlist was the same as Southend, although Some Riot came before Station Approach in the encores.
Back to top Go down
chan
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Newcastle 5/3/09 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcastle 5/3/09   Newcastle 5/3/09 Icon_minitimeFri 06 Mar 2009, 18:53

Agree with all the comments in here. I so agree they should have played a seated venue, liek the last time. But the atmosphere wouldnt have been the same at all.

I have a serious hatred for people who want to talk constantly throughout gigs. Luckily got a good spot and everyone around to be enjoying it last night.

Any Day Now was a welcome surprise for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/michaelchaneyuk
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Newcastle 5/3/09 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcastle 5/3/09   Newcastle 5/3/09 Icon_minitimeFri 06 Mar 2009, 18:56

hilaryg wrote:
ImaginedAffair wrote:
Oh dear, I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree with you more. If I wanted to sit quietly and listen to a band I'd stay at home and stick a CD/DVD on. IMHO seated gigs have very little atmosphere in comparison to the usual Elbow venue.

Annoying as the chatterers are, in fact there are very few of them at Elbow gigs compared to other bands. Their scarceness is what makes them more irritating if you do have the bad luck to be near them.

Agreed. There was a bit of chattering and also some boisterous behaviour round me. Whatever next!

I was at The Sage last year and impressive though the venue is, with fantastic acoustics, as a musician myself, I know which type of crowd I would rather play.
And I think the Elboys agreed with me judging by Guy's comments as they left the stage.
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Newcastle 5/3/09 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcastle 5/3/09   Newcastle 5/3/09 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2009, 20:51

got to admit it was a qwolty gig, thought they mixed it up quite well with new and old stuff... impressed with Any Day Now (took me back to the newcastle uni gigs!)...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Newcastle 5/3/09 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcastle 5/3/09   Newcastle 5/3/09 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newcastle 5/3/09
Page 1 of 1