elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups

Go down 
+3
ChrissieInFL
Dabamash
leespoons
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Empty
PostSubject: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeFri 11 Apr 2008, 19:37

OK, before you all flame me for messing with Elbow's music... let me explain what a bootleg/mash-up is (just in case you don't know). In its simplest form it's where you take one song and edit it together with another song. If it's done badly, it sounds like two records playing at the same time. If it's done well, it sounds like a whole new track.

I've been doing them for over five years now using various sources, and these are the two I've done that feature Elbow songs. You can stream or download them using the links below:

My Favourite Elbows (Elbow vs The Supremes)

Sirens to Strangeways in 5.15 (Elbow vs Dizzee Rascal)

I'm not expecting you all to like these (don't know how many Dizzee Rascal fans there are on this board!) but I thought I'd let you have a listen anyway. Just a bit of fun...

There's also this done by a guy called Hi-Brid (Mike Devine) which is Grounds for Divorce vs Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

Last edited by lee spoons on Fri 11 Apr 2008, 21:29; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeFri 11 Apr 2008, 20:41

Thanks for posting, i was curious about this Smile
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeSat 12 Apr 2008, 18:40

Nice! I had seen the Hi-Brid mash-up on MySpace, but I'm glad you posted yours here. I love hearing how the elements of different songs can be mixed to create something completely new. One of the most interesting mash-ups I ever ran across combined the Beastie Boys' Ch-ch-check It Out and Barry Manilow's Copacabana. And it was good, too. Seriously!
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeSun 13 Apr 2008, 17:45

Don't want to hijack the thread, but the ONLY mashup that I ever did was Natasha Bedingfield's Unwritten with Genesis's I Know What I Like...

can be found here...

http://lummux.multiply.com/music/item/1
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeSun 13 Apr 2008, 19:27

Thanks for the comments Chrissie! Don't think I've ever heard that Copacabana/Beasties thing, but I like the absurd stuff... one of the best ones I heard was Eminem's over-used "Without Me" over the top of a load of old TV themes. I did a Levellers vs Jean-Michel Jarre bootleg once, that was a bit odd Shocked

MagicalTrevor wrote:
Don't want to hijack the thread, but the ONLY mashup that I ever did was Natasha Bedingfield's Unwritten with Genesis's I Know What I Like...

can be found here...

http://lummux.multiply.com/music/item/1

I'm not a multiply member (well, I am, but I've forgotten my login details) so I couldn't hear it... could you sendspace/divshare it, I'd like to hear that (against my better judgement, as far as I'm concerned Natasha Bedingfield's music should've stayed Unwritten)
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 00:01

Here's a page to visit,for anyone who's interested. Lots of mash-ups to stream or download. Just scroll down on the page to view and use the player; it's kinda unwieldy but it gets you where you want to go. The Beasties/Manilow thing is on volume 3 on the player, but you have to look for it. TONS of crazy stuff here!
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 08:20

I'd forgotten about that site - the Destiny's Child vs Elbow "Independent Women" mashup (by Dr K, it says here) is on Volume 6.

There's at least 9 of mine on there too... although he seems to have picked out my worst ones!
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 09:12

lee spoons wrote:
I'm not a multiply member (well, I am, but I've forgotten my login details) so I couldn't hear it... could you sendspace/divshare it, I'd like to hear that (against my better judgement, as far as I'm concerned Natasha Bedingfield's music should've stayed Unwritten)

Try this...

http://download.yousendit.com/EDA4E0170B9A196C
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeTue 15 Apr 2008, 17:41

haha, nice... you should do more of those!
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeTue 15 Apr 2008, 21:44

Thanks, that one was hard enough! I might have a go at some though.

The reason I put those together was the similarity of the guitar line, and they were only about 2 semitones apart in key, worked quite well.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeTue 29 Apr 2008, 19:14

Here's one I made earlier...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qrntk4

Tower Crane Driver mixed with 'Nude' by Radiohead! If nothing else it gives you an idea of what Elbow would sound like with Thom Yorke singing... (although I had to keep some of Guy's vocals in there too)
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeTue 29 Apr 2008, 19:29

lol, nude tower crane. I like.
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeTue 29 Apr 2008, 19:33

OMG, at the start its a bit iffy, but its fantastic towards the end. Well done Lee.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeWed 30 Apr 2008, 08:09

thanks Dabbers... although credit where it's due, it's Elbow and Radiohead that make it fantastic, I just stitch them together like some kind of Frankenstein's monster.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeThu 01 May 2008, 15:08

Damn, son...that was really good! I enjoyed the hell outta that! Thanks for sharing! cheers
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeThu 01 May 2008, 16:48

Thanks Chrissie, glad you enjoyed it!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeThu 01 May 2008, 16:51

I really did...think I played it about 4 times since I got it this morning! Smile
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeSat 03 May 2008, 11:38

Hey lee.. just letting ya know I posted a link to your new mashup in my MySpace blog. I prolly should've asked first but I figured you wouldn't mind. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeSat 03 May 2008, 12:04

Listening to Nude Tower Crane right at this moment. Quite bizarre to hear Thom's voice to Elbow's music, but I'm quite digging it!

Such completely different voices on the two of them!
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeSat 03 May 2008, 12:57

ChrissieInFL wrote:
Hey lee.. just letting ya know I posted a link to your new mashup in my MySpace blog. I prolly should've asked first but I figured you wouldn't mind. Very Happy

Post away Chrissie, always glad of a bit of free publicity!

Thanks for listening Topaz - yeah, I was struck by the difference in their voices too... it's funny hearing Guy 'duet' with someone else (the only duet I've heard him on is The Fix)
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeSun 04 May 2008, 16:39

Saddo that I am, I've created a fan page for myself on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/10000-Spoons/11662272939?ref=nf

There's a whole load of my shite to download on there, if anybody's interested.
Back to top Go down
Garvey's Beard
fallen angel
fallen angel
Garvey's Beard

Male Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeSun 29 Jun 2008, 15:34

Some interesting and enjoyable ideas! Very Happy

I did something similar some time ago, but my elbow track consists of different elbow samples layered on top of each other. It will be interesting to see if you can recognize which tracks they come from. I hope you enjoy it :

http://rapidshare.com/files/125868630/Elbow_-_Newborn__Reborn_Mix_.mp3
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeSun 29 Jun 2008, 16:22

Thanks GB (and welcome to the board!) Waiting for Rapidsnore to load, and then I'll listen to yours!
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeSun 29 Jun 2008, 16:42

This is really good actually!

OK, this is what I can hear so far. I'll put it in spoiler quotes so other people can have a guess as well.

Spoiler:

and some waltz at the end that I can't seem to place Embarassed although my son is playing with all his noisy toys at once.

out of interest, what software did you use to make this?
Back to top Go down
Garvey's Beard
fallen angel
fallen angel
Garvey's Beard

Male Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitimeMon 30 Jun 2008, 21:15

Thanks for the welcome Mr Spoons and I am glad you got some enjoyment from the track. To be honest I made it a few years back and have forgotten some of the samples I used myself. Embarassed

The sample you are having trouble identifying is from Crawling With Idiot. It was put together in Sony Acid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups   Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elbow bootlegs/mash-ups
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next