elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Craig Potter Appreciation Thread

Go down 
+36
suered
Adderz
Open arms
mrswoman
errant
Bright Grey
Dano
NeonChoir
ticky
Misspelt Yoof
nellie
sundaygirl
lucky with disease
TamedLamia
Grant
ElbowFreak
bluefield
Leo
Dabamash
MrsMagicalTrevor
evilpixie
fadeupyoursmile
erasure
Hotblack
Jones
girlafraid
Calum
Ted
JulieinTX
Topaz
leespoons
Glendarian
Craig Potter
MagicalTrevor
Jonny
ChrissieInFL
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Sep 2008, 19:08

Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Sep 2008, 19:12

sweet!!

oh yeh... the organ in ive got your number is MID-BLOWING!!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Sep 2008, 19:20

Are you guys for real?

Stay on topic or I lock it, and believe me this topic is the last one I want to lock.

The conversation you have just had belongs in the PM system.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Sep 2008, 19:30

Is there anywhere Craig is interviewed alone, I know Guy handles most of the interviews with contributions from the rest of the band but I would imagine Craig has a lot of things to say of great interest on how the music comes together for folks like us especially SSK what with his massive input in producing it.
Without getting too technical on one level and even getting technical for those who really get off on that sort of thing on another level
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Sep 2008, 19:41

Make room for Elbow's return
Lawrence Poole
27/ 2/2008

“I’VE not been through that sort of situation thank God, but probably jellied eels and chillies I think!” guffaws Craig Potter, keyboardist for much-respected Bury outfit Elbow when I put to him that the cocktail named Grounds For Divorce, which is name checked in the quintet’s comeback single of the same name, would surely have some kick to it.

“You wouldn’t try it more than once anyway!” Indeed. Back on the promotional bandwagon after a protracted two-year hiatus, it is such wit - mixed with hefty slugs of melancholia – which have made Elbow into such a life-enhancing concoction themselves.

Further proof can be found on new track, An Audience With The Pope, taken from their forthcoming new LB, which has been described by their amiable bear of a frontman Guy Garvey as being “a Bond theme if Bond was from Bury and a recovering Catholic.”

Quite a picture he’s painted there, but which of the five would make the best bond I ask Potter to ponder.

“Well me! I’m by far the best looking and fittest and would look the best coming out of the sea in trunks! Although saying that, we have let ourselves go a bit in recent months so it would probably be Juppy (Richard Jupp) as he’s a drummer and naturally stays in shape!”

Sadly, due to numerous false dawns, which seemed to have followed each of their album releases, not enough people to date have been exposed to the delights of the band – a situation, which has increasingly irked Potter and the rest of the group.

“We were very disappointed on the way it was going with our last album Leaders of the Free World because we absolutely love that album and it just seemed so frustrating that a lot of Elbow fans didn’t even know it was out, because the whole promotion thing was virtually non-existent with V2.”

Deciding a stand needed to be taken, the band effectively went on strike.

Mercury Music Prize

“We actually downed tools with them and said what’s the point in writing music if no one’s going to hear? Don’t get me wrong, they’d been brilliant with us for a long time they got us from the bedroom to the Mercury Music Prize, which we’ll never forget, but we’re getting older now and we want more people to hear our music.”

With Universal sister label Fiction eager to take them on, the timely move – particularly considering V2 subsequent collapse – was a no-brainer as Potter confirms.

“Fiction wanted to take over and promote the last LP as there were people at the label who loved the record and couldn’t believe it wasn’t doing better – a deal was struck between them but it was so complicated it dragged on and on.”

Now in the mutually beneficial situation of having an album on their hands both they and their new label fully believe in and want to back to the hilt, Potter is understandably thrilled.

“It’s great to have a label with so much faith behind us. We’ve had decent radio coverage already and played on Jonathan Ross’ show last week, which was great – we got to sit in the green room with Brucie (recent octogenarian Bruce Forsyth) and the actor Forest Whitaker, so that was fun.”

An appropriate date to release and toast the man their fourth LP is dedicated to - The Seldom Seen Kid is out on St Patrick’s Day and is packed full of emotion.

I asked Potter to give us more of an insight into their late friend and Manchester singer-songwriter Bryan Glancy.

“He died two years ago now and it hit us very hard, he was loved by so many people - there must have been hundreds of people at his funeral.

“It was never in doubt that he would feature heavily on the record, he was closer to Guy (Garvey, singer) than he was to me.

“I don’t write lyrics but I imagine it was always going to affect everything he does – it changes your life when a friend dies.”

With Garvey fully concentrated on encapsulating the emotions swirling round his head on paper, Potter had the time-consuming task of full-time production duties on the record, how did he find it?

“We’ve always sort of co-produced everything we’ve done, so it was a natural progression really. My confidence has grown, but it wasn’t like I was suddenly bossing everyone around!

“We tried to do it on the last record, but got a bit stuck I guess, but this time I was ably to take it all the way including the mixing, which was great – I’m really chuffed, little details aside, with how it’s sounds.”

Enforced

Thankfully, during the band’s enforced sabbatical there has also been new life to lift the mood - Potter himself is now a proud dad to two boys.

And by taking on full production duties for the record it was a period in his life which saw him find a happy Manchester-based medium between his home life and work.

“It’s been great because no matter how stressful the day's been all you’ve got to do is come home and play with the kids, then you realise what’s important – I just can’t wait for the summer now to get out in the garden with them.”

But first off is the smaller matter of their first UK tour in aeons, the fledgling father is understandably excited and apprehensive in equal measure.

“It’s fine in the UK as you can drive home every couple of nights, but it’s going to be difficult being away as the oldest will be missing me too now – but as far as the gigs themselves I’m really looking forward to them.”

So of course the million dollar (or perhaps two million dollar question considering the state of the American currency at the moment) is will Elbow’s fourth album allow them to, well… go forth and conquer?

The music business’ increasingly unpredictability makes this a tricky one to answer, but several important factors do appear to have fallen into place to put the band in with a fighting chance - so all eyes will be on the album chart come this spring to if Elbow have finally blossomed into the commercial prospect they always threatened to be.
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Sep 2008, 19:59

Sorry MT, i tried PMing him but had no reply
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Sep 2008, 20:35

cheers very much for posting that I bet he is an interesting bloke to have a pint with, some of the sounds are awesome I keep discovering more which I guess is the gift that a great producer brings to music.
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 16 Sep 2008, 17:10

Sorry, MT just got the PM there, never noticed it Razz sorry Sad

Craig rocks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Oct 2008, 12:15

bluefield wrote:
cheers very much for posting that I bet he is an interesting bloke to have a pint with

Yeah, but would you like to have a pint with a man who has a muesli hand?

Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Muesli-hand
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Oct 2008, 12:23

lol! That's a brilliant pic!
Especially the expression on his face! It's like: "Oh no, not this again..."
Also, am I correct in spying 2 Potters in this pic?
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Oct 2008, 13:05

Aw, I hate when that happens!

Give me Beer
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Oct 2008, 23:06

great pic!
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Oct 2008, 14:03

MagicalTrevor wrote:
bluefield wrote:
cheers very much for posting that I bet he is an interesting bloke to have a pint with

Yeah, but would you like to have a pint with a man who has a muesli hand?

Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Muesli-hand
He has a definate... That serum i injected to give me superpowers has some pretty fucking odd side effects... face!!!
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Dec 2008, 17:07

Happy Birthday Craig!
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Dec 2008, 18:56

Happy birthday to you....

Come on folks, fans and admirers, join in....
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Dec 2008, 18:57

Happy Birthday to you...
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 08 Dec 2008, 03:54

Hope you had a grand day, Craig. (y)
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 08 Dec 2008, 10:40

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!! Party!
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 08 Dec 2008, 13:26

Happy belated, Craig!

I'm glad you were born. Smile
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 08 Dec 2008, 19:10

Happy Birthday Craig.

Have a gudden for all of us; and keep ship Elbow a steady and brilliant one!! Beer
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 14 Feb 2009, 20:03

Congratulation Craig on your double award from the Music Producers Guild for best album and best single. Party!
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Feb 2009, 02:02

Sweet, I didn't know about that! Congratulations indeed Smile
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Feb 2009, 13:36

Congratulations Craig!!! Thumbs Up!

Last edited by Jones on Mon 07 Dec 2009, 22:31; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Feb 2009, 13:38

Among his many talents...have long appreciated Craig singing lead on the Elbow song "Loss" (Guy harmonising in the background Wink )
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Feb 2009, 17:27

lucky with disease wrote:
Among his many talents...have long appreciated Craig singing lead on the Elbow song "Loss" (Guy harmonising in the background Wink )
Really?! Wow! Never knew that! Listening now!
How did i never notice that it wasn't Garvey!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craig Potter Appreciation Thread   Craig Potter Appreciation Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Craig Potter Appreciation Thread
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next