elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Football

Go down 
+30
TamedLamia
ChrissieInFL
Skeletor
oneofthethree
Mr_K
Diaan
Cestriansteve
redliz2
ticky
Lillybef
nikkijaydee
Tailfly
My Bury Vest
bluefield
blackmissionary
Prestwich Red 143
posh steve
Grant
Jonny
Ted
Misspelt Yoof
ElbowFreak
leespoons
Leo
heshofcheese
Jones
MagicalTrevor
ChrissyBoy
Dabamash
chan
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Diaan
fallen angel
fallen angel
Diaan

Female Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 16:15

thanks for your help. I was afraid it would be nearly impossible to get tickets, but seeing as you're all such smart and inventive people I thought I could give it a go Smile

It's the same weekend as the MEN-gig, so we thought it would be nice to catch a football match as well while we're there... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.dianabroeders.nl
redliz2
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 18:59

Diaan wrote:

It's the same weekend as the MEN-gig, so we thought it would be nice to catch a football match as well while we're there... Smile

I know it would be brilliant damn near perfect weekend, Elbow gig and a footie match ...but nothng stopping us all meeting up and watching it in the pub? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Diaan
fallen angel
fallen angel
Diaan

Female Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 19:04

redliz2 wrote:
Diaan wrote:

I know it would be brilliant damn near perfect weekend, Elbow gig and a footie match ...but nothng stopping us all meeting up and watching it in the pub? Very Happy
Sounds like a nice idea as well, but we've already booked a hotel in Liverpool for Saturday night and traveling back to Manchester for a match would be worth concidering, but traveling back to watch it in the pub doesn't seem like such a great idea since we're flying back home Sunday evening from Liverpool. But maybe we will try to get tickets to an Everton game... Guess it easier to get tickets there Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.dianabroeders.nl
redliz2
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 19:21

Ah ..my bad, I assumed you were staying in manchester Smile you might be alright with Everton ..I'd check ahead though to be sure, ..Liverpool is similar to United, tix for most games like rocking horse poo Laughing
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 11:57

Hey Mr K !

Yeah, should be an exciting one, however, after 30 years of disappointment, I'll believe it when I see it !!

Not seen them pre season yet but got my Season Ticket so looking forward to the Wolves home game, in theory, not a massive hardly start to the season..........another centre half is badly needed though, Lescott would be a good signing, though hugely overpriced.

Once Tevez gets into the swing of it, he should be a major player for us and all the reports from pre season I've heard, Gareth Barry soudns a real player !!!

U reckon you'll get up to a City game this season ?
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 12:37

My Bury Vest wrote:
Hey Mr K !
U reckon you'll get up to a City game this season ?
I am surely planning on doing it. It feels odd though, actually thinking that we could be on the verge of some sort of success. I feel a bit like a prisoner who has been released after 30 years, and not sure if I can cope with it all. (I am overstating the case, but you know what I mean)

As for signings, I think Tevez & Barry will make a big difference, I think the rest will do a job, but I agree, with Dunnie looking no better preseason than last year, central defence is a weak area. Not sure about left back either, Bridge has not exactly shone in his time with us has he?

Personally if David Moyes won't let Lescott go (and why should he, frankly?) then I'd be happy with Upson, although I accept I'm in the minority on this.

To sum up, I'd be happy with 6th, very happy with 5th and ecstatic if we do better than that. Whatever happens, I don't think it'll be dull...

P.S. We'll have to go some to match Mrs K's team's start to the season. She and all her familly support Colchester United. I bought her a can of Seven-Up on Sunday! I know how to treat a lady, me.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 12 Aug 2009, 05:11

Wouldn't argue with a word you've said there mate, I think Moyes and Everton will dig their heeels in and I think we'll look have to elsewhere.....Upson, I'm not so sure. It's gotta be top 6 otherwise Huighes will be gone, unless we win a cup, maybe. Not a huge fan of his, but he deserved another crack at it.

City can really target a Carling Cup final spot, there's not the glut of fixtures the UEFA Cup brings and the squad should be big enough, can you believe I've never seen City in a semi final ever ? (in '81 my Dad said we couldn't afford it !).

Keep an eye on this Vlad Weiss, a young winger who's come up through the ranks and has been getting a fair bit of action in pre season, saw him for the Youth team a coupla years back, the lads got promise.

Anyway, the excitement is palpable round here for Blackburn, everyone's going, bar me (fatherly duties !). You can see it, the sun's shining, 7,000 City fans raising the roof, fantastic backing and City throw away a 2 goal lead to lose 3-2 !! (Sorry, old habits die hard !) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 12 Aug 2009, 07:43

Forgot to say Mr K, when I saw that Colchester result in Sundays papers I couldn't believe it !! Then saw the Naaarrrwich fans on the pitch launching their season tickets towards the dugout !!

Been to Layer Rd once, a Shaun Goater single goal ensured a happy and long trip home !!
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 12 Aug 2009, 08:09

So then, Girls and Boys. Predictions for the season?

1. Liverpool
2. Chelsea
3. Man Utd
4. Man City
-----------------
18. Portsmouth
19. Burnley
20. Hull

Chelsea to win the FA Cup and Man City to take the Carling Cup. Spurs, Everton and Arsenal to take the UEFA Cup places.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 12 Aug 2009, 08:17

1. Chelsea
2. Man United
3. Liverpool
4. Arsenal

5. Man City
6. Spurs
7. Everton

18. Pompey
19. Hull
20. Burnley

FA Cup - Chelsea
Carling Cup - Aston Villa

I DO have a hunch for the Carling Cup for City, but it'd go against the grain to tip us !!
Back to top Go down
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 12 Aug 2009, 08:24

Misspelt Yoof wrote:

1. Liverpool
2. Chelsea
3. Man Utd
4. Man City
-----------------
18. Portsmouth
19. Burnley
20. Hull

Chelsea to win the FA Cup and Man City to take the Carling Cup. Spurs, Everton and Arsenal to take the UEFA Cup places.

I love your prediction for 18th Smile Personally I would have said 20th, but I'll settle for them finishing anywhere in the bottom 3 Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 12 Aug 2009, 08:32

Misspelt Yoof wrote:

1. Liverpool
2. Chelsea
3. Man Utd
4. Man City
-----------------
18. Portsmouth
19. Burnley
20. Hull

That would do VERY nicely for me, but I'm afraid that I just can't see City break into the top 4 this season - there was a 22 point gap last season and that's an awful lot to make up. I'm thinking

1. Chelsea (look very strong)
2. Man Utd (still a strong squad)
3. Liverpool (very good first 11, but a couple of injuries and they'll struggle)
4. Arsenal (much like last year)
5. Man City (and that's with fingers crossed)
-----------------
18. Wolves
19. Burnley
20. Hull

No idea about the cups to be honest
------

MBV re: Weiss - there has been a real buzz about this kid for the last year or so, so much talent but, obviously, very green. I've heard a couple of people describe him (and may God forgive me for what I am about to say) that he plays like Ronaldo did when he first went to the other lot, i.e. tons of skill, gets into great positions, but as yet, doesn't make the right decisions often enough. Hopefully that'll come, and I am looking forward to seeing him play a part this season.
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 12 Aug 2009, 09:33

Mr_K wrote:
That would do VERY nicely for me, but I'm afraid that I just can't see City break into the top 4 this season
I'm probably blinded by my hatred for Arsenal, but I really can't see them hanging on to fourth this year. If City's players click then fourth is the least that they can hope for.

I reckon if Liverpool can keep Torres and Gerrard fit then they should be too strong for the rest.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 12 Aug 2009, 09:41

Hey, Misspellt, you a fan of all things Tottingham Hotspur then ?
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 12 Aug 2009, 09:54

My Bury Vest wrote:
Hey, Misspellt, you a fan of all things Tottingham Hotspur then ?
Afraid so. Should be a decent season if we can push on from the performances we put in after Harry joined last year.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 12 Aug 2009, 10:02

Yeah, I really rate Redknapp, think he'll do a good job for you, you'll do top 6 this year I'm sure.

Huddlestone's a strange one, he played at our place about 2 years ago, he ran the show, looked a right player but from what i hear, it's mobility and weight issues that seem to have stunted his progress.

Corluka was well liked at City, is versatile along the back four, he looks a bit ungainly ,but I rated him.
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 12 Aug 2009, 10:19

My Bury Vest wrote:
Corluka was well liked at City, is versatile along the back four, he looks a bit ungainly ,but I rated him.
He's a good player, far better at RB than Alan Hutton has shown himself to be since joining. Really looking forward to seeing the best of Luka Modric this season. He really is a class act.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 12 Aug 2009, 19:37

arggghhhh my beloved Scotland. Shafted by Norway, total mince.

It was bad enough Aberdeen got completley humiliated the other week by some Chech team i'd never heard of.
Back to top Go down
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 16:11

My Bury Vest wrote:
Yeah, I really rate Redknapp,

I don't. He's a bloody crook who will be found out one day.
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 14 Aug 2009, 06:38

Cestrian Saint wrote:
I don't. He's a bloody crook who will be found out one day.
I'm inclined to agree.
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 17 Aug 2009, 07:18

Excellent start to the season. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 17 Aug 2009, 17:22

Redknapp, the fucker, trying to get Brown Razz Although, at £11m, i don't think i'll complain too heavily, he only cost 4 Razz
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 18 Aug 2009, 06:56

Grant wrote:
Redknapp, the fucker, trying to get Brown Razz Although, at £11m, i don't think i'll complain too heavily, he only cost 4 Razz
Swap for Robbie Keane?!
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 18 Aug 2009, 12:38

I would love that, not sure Keane would be willing to degrade himself to the SPL Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Aug 2009, 09:40

Grant wrote:
I would love that, not sure Keane would be willing to degrade himself to the SPL Rolling Eyes
It's about time he joined another one of the teams he supported as a child, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Football - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Football
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: the hole (in the neighbourhood)-
Jump to: