elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?

Go down 
+2
Leo
mrswoman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Empty
PostSubject: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Sep 2008, 21:54

The band has developed quite a slick, smart look for photoshoots and gigs over the last few years, so does anyone know if they employ someone to style them? It's a bit of an odd one to consider, 'cos Elbow also seem the kind of people who would spurn the efforts of anyone trying to push a false, ill-fitting look on them just for the sake of a more saleable image.

Thumbs Up! For the threads, lads - and string section lasses!
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Oct 2008, 17:57

i must admit they are starting to look very swarve

especially mark's coats/waistcoats, and guy's new glasses
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Oct 2008, 18:00

yes. Me. They're next shoot is to be in drag. Taking it out to the pink pound.
tbh. I don't care, the clothes have no bearing on the music.
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Oct 2008, 18:01

Hahahahah Razz love it! Razz
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Oct 2008, 18:03

i do hate the whole 'scene' stuff nowadays.

bring back the early days of the red hot chili peppers... stark bollock naked on stage!!
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Oct 2008, 18:04

oh, god!!! Let's not Shocked
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Oct 2008, 18:06

i think they had 'cock-socks' though Razz
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Oct 2008, 18:06

Ha ha ha! Bad bad bad
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

oh god Razz
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Oct 2008, 18:09

i have to say though, the elbow restyle has indeed worked!!

i was talking to a friend at college (and im the only person to like elbow at my college) and she said that she liked the way they looked on jools holland - and the music was "ok"

fashion does count nowadays... unfortunately...
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Oct 2008, 18:10

That really irritates me Razz
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Oct 2008, 18:12

i find that people cant just LISTEN to music. just lie there with some headphones. They either have to project it at 50db, or watch, touch and feel it

its pathetic
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Oct 2008, 18:14

Fashion in bands only count to people who are too shallow to give a fuck about the music. I would love elbow regardless of their "look"... i think think modern marketing has too much emphisis on "PRETTY" bands that are fundermentally vacuous.
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Oct 2008, 18:17

yeah Smile I can't go a day without music Razz i'm rather pathetic that way, i'd die without my MP3 player Razz couldn't live without it Smile
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeMon 06 Oct 2008, 14:17

FFS, it was just an idle thought based on their change of image since the early days. What's the matter with that? I don't buy fashion mags and generally think style over substance equals vacuous shit, so don't judge me on the basis of one vaguely curious post!
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeMon 06 Oct 2008, 15:57

mrswoman wrote:
FFS, it was just an idle thought based on their change of image since the early days. What's the matter with that? I don't buy fashion mags and generally think style over substance equals vacuous shit, so don't judge me on the basis of one vaguely curious post!

No way was I or anyone who's posted within this topic insinuated such a thing! We were merely expressing our thoughts on musical culture. This was sparked off by the issue of 'style' being raised, it wasn't taking any digs, nor criticizing Elbow; it was just a small discussion that was indeed - on topic.
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeMon 06 Oct 2008, 16:08

Yes Smile we, for once, stayed on topic Smile
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeMon 06 Oct 2008, 18:34

Umm, thanks for your spokesman reply Leo. God love ya: Has noone ever explained it's not a great idea to speak on behalf of other people? It wasn't about being off-topic, I was replying to Sarah's posts and tone, especially:

Sarah wrote:
Fashion in bands only count to people who are too shallow to give a fuck about the music. I would love elbow regardless of their "look"... i think think modern marketing has too much emphisis on "PRETTY" bands that are fundermentally vacuous.

I actually agree with the second point about 'pretty bands'. Why I replied was to challenge the blanket statement about 'fashion in bands ...people too shallow..." because that assumption implies a judgement about me as well, seeing as I asked the thread question. Let me put you right love, I couldn't really give a shit about fashion in life, let alone in music, which I do still care about to the core. As for 'shallow', pfffttt.

Feeding the discussion with even more fuel, even legends like the Beatles and the Ramones were shaped in their look. Defining identity has long been a part of (quality) popular music. Substance can exist without style, but when you get one introduced to the other, it creates a different result - more of a package - like it or not.
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeMon 06 Oct 2008, 18:41

Okay Smile now let's all live in peace and stuff Razz
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeMon 06 Oct 2008, 19:31

I agree about music creating fashion, punk, mod, rocker, emo, goth all of these scenes are a fashion statement tied around a sound. What i dissagree with is when the look becomes more important that the music that spawned it, modern emo kids have probebly never listened to an emo record in their life. Music influences the way people dress as it influences so much of people's lives, its when the music takes a back seat to the style that i object... highly.
Sorry if my post caused offence, i was merely stating my oppinion that people who choose bands based on looks get my back up, not having a personal attack, as, lets face it, no one would chose elbow based on this look....
Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? 11670341
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeMon 06 Oct 2008, 19:51

Mrs. Woman...

Firstly, the "on - topic" bit was merely a dig at the whole farce surrounding that issue at the moment.

Secondly, I must have just taken the tone of your reply a little wrongly - I read the "FFS" and it shaped the way I responded to your whole reply.

Thirdly, I totally agree with you.

and fourthly, I'd be an ace spokesman!

Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeThu 09 Oct 2008, 19:12

Sarah, thanks for clarifying and sorry for being so fiery. Embarassed

Leo, I guess we're at cross-purposes too! confused

Nah, forums would be deadly dull without different opinions, it's just... *sigh*... has noone invented a online post interpreting machine yet? I'd have one, it feels like I'm suddenly starting to need it...affraid Rolling Eyes

/Makes note to put more emoticons and less f&*%$^* swearing in posts from now on.
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeThu 09 Oct 2008, 19:30

Wink yeah, i agree bout the machine thingy.
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Oct 2008, 14:42

It looks as though the boys visit One True Saxon from time to time, according to this blog post. Hopefully that will help if anyone is curious as to where some of their clothes from. The website for the store is located here.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitimeMon 20 Oct 2008, 08:56

Fashion and music. Huge topic. I remember the times when I was into Hairmetal (still kinda like it). It was not easy being into folks like Poison, Cinderella and Ratt because everyone was saying: "ah, they just look cute but that's all" and I am sure they were good musicians.
If Elbow have a special "style" it would be the "british banker in a pub"-Style... What a Face
Anyone remembers that cute interview with Guy, where the interviewer asked him about his style? The answer was a bit frightening according the "bottle of Brandy and pack of Cigarettes in one hour" but the rest of the description was fitting...crisp white shirt and a black suit and sleep with it to get a used look. Cool
Maybe that's the difference between German and British Tuxedo-People...Germans look like upper class bores and Brits look like cool everydaypeople...Gentleman is an english word... Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?   Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does Elbow have a 'Stylist'?
Page 1 of 1