elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...

Go down 
+8
Tinwal
bluefield
heshofcheese
ElbowFreak
Dabamash
Jonny
Grant
Leo
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Empty
PostSubject: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeFri 12 Sep 2008, 19:40

drummers of all time... i want a debate to get going here...

i think his driving rythms, fantastic cymbal work, and minimalistic approach make him one of the best drummers of the last 10 years. nobody recognises it though... until NOW!!!!

your thoughts????
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeFri 12 Sep 2008, 20:53

I love Elbow as a whole, and obviously the drums are a huge part of that Razz and as a drummer myself, and useless when trying to do anything quiet Razz i find Richard absolutely amazing Very Happy so yes, i concur, Leo Smile
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeFri 12 Sep 2008, 21:04

I think some of the stuff he's come out with for Elbow's music is spectacular. And he successfully makes percussion a very important part of a very dense sound. So I have a lot of respect for Richard on those fronts.

One of the best drummers? A bold statement.
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeFri 12 Sep 2008, 21:07

So, is this the roots of a Richard Jupp appreciation thread?
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeFri 12 Sep 2008, 21:10

I suspect so Razz
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeSat 13 Sep 2008, 08:17

When Iisten to Grace of a pressure it ALWAYS amaces me how he plays the drums. This is a masterpiece in my opinion and I've never heard anything like this.
Drummers are always underrated cause they sit in the back, are (mostly) the quiet guys and they aren't in the spotlight (like Guy for example).
It's a shame, without drums you wouldn't have a great song, I guess!
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeSat 13 Sep 2008, 09:06

Someone a lot wiser than me once said you can't have a good band without a good drummer. And Richard Jupp is a very good drummer. Watch the version of Mexican Standoff and of course the climax of Newborn on the Fabchannel Amsterdam gig if you need proof. Outstanding. cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeSat 13 Sep 2008, 09:56

ok... i wanted to do a Jupp appreciation thread... but i didnt want to copy everyone else...

not the best technical drummer, i mean he holds back just enough... like Selway from Radiohead. You dont notice some of his complex jazz like beats until you really concentrate
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeSat 13 Sep 2008, 10:05

yeah I had a little chat with MT about Jupp's drumming a while ago, because Im not a drummer and MT is but it struck me in particular on the tracks you mentioned Mexican stand off and Grace how inventive he is and a whole lot more than standard Rock drummer although there is nowt wrong with them.But yeah I think he is a massive influence on the band's sound
Back to top Go down
Tinwal
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeSat 13 Sep 2008, 11:34

His drumming on Red is stunning. I also like like his more subtle work. Like on switching off. Brilliant drummer.
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeSat 13 Sep 2008, 12:07

I love Richard.

Sometimes I stick on headphones to listen to Asleep in The Back. His drumming on this album never ceases to amaze me.
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeSat 13 Sep 2008, 15:03

We've had the chance to show the hots for Potts and to be gay for Guy so why not an 'Up for Jupp' thread? That just leaves 'On heat for Pete'!
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeSat 13 Sep 2008, 17:34

Tinwal wrote:
His drumming on Red is stunning. I also like like his more subtle work. Like on switching off. Brilliant drummer.

Mm, I think Red is the best example of Richard at his best. Subtle, understated.. and smart.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeSat 13 Sep 2008, 18:13

A most understated drummer, very talented, imaginative, creative and intelligent.

I also loved how he stood with his back to the camera after getting the mercury, sheer confused class!
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeSun 14 Sep 2008, 15:25

but even his work on crwling with idiots for example... just throbs on and on without letting up...

im no drummer, but doesnt he use a certain type of snare drum???? it seems thicker and bassier... not so sharp; it gives a softer sound... no???? yes????
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeSun 14 Sep 2008, 16:00

Elbow's snare drum is nearly always produced in a different way for each song. I love that.
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeSun 14 Sep 2008, 18:03

yeah i know... but the one on... red, crawling with idiot, powder blue, audiense with the pope etc...
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeMon 15 Sep 2008, 22:34

Any Day Now's snare is pretty wicked too, very prominant.
Back to top Go down
PickyBugger
fallen angel
fallen angel
PickyBugger

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeMon 22 Sep 2008, 20:37

I have to agree here, he is an outstanding drummer; very technical and subtle - which if anything seems to make him stand out even more-so.
As a drummer myself I find some of Richard's beats hypnotic, and it gives elbow's music an extra level for me. But I can see how he is under-rated because most non-drummers don't pick up on it.

Also agree with you on Red, and of course Grace Under Pressure. Mexican Standoff I really like too.
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitimeMon 22 Sep 2008, 21:13

yeh man totally agree...

welcome to the board!! you'll like it im sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...   Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Richard Jupp one of the most underrated...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: elbow patch-
Jump to: