elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dead in the Boot (August 27th)

Go down 
+17
Kiresg
Nyarlathotep
ticky
Kim
ChrissieInFL
leespoons
ChrissyBoy
NeonChoir
The Final Track
Niftium
My Bury Vest
Molly
ElbowFreak
allyngibson
Jones
errant
HattyMarris
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 22 Jul 2012, 19:31

ChrissyBoy wrote:
Hello everybody peeps ! Be nice to have some elbow filling prior to next album.
Hope you all are doing well :-)

Hi there to you too! Very Happy

This will be great, have already pre-ordered it. I agree with Lee about Live On My Mind, I have a soft spot for that particular cover. But I'll be glad to get this collection of tunes for sure and I'm happy to FINALLY see it emerge after so long! Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jul 2012, 01:41

This may seem like a silly question, but I just thought of it, and I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

When they're putting this together, will the B-sides be the previously released recordings, or will they be rerecorded specifically for the album?
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jul 2012, 15:55

Would also have liked Puckfair and a few more of their covers. Perhaps Bewlay Brothers, Fuzzy, or (dare I say it) Independent Woman... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jul 2012, 16:23

Where's Baby Jesus?! ha ha!
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jul 2012, 17:21

^^ YES to "Independent Woman." Or, better yet, that cover of "One Thing" they did.
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jul 2012, 17:37

Haha, gotta love the helium-filled ending of One Thing. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 24 Jul 2012, 17:09

Exactly. That, and the "gobble gobble gooobllle" bit. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Nyarlathotep
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 24 Jul 2012, 18:33

Glad they're finally coming out with this. Love their B-Sides and I see two on there that I haven't even heard before.

It looks like they've left out more than a few great songs, though. Guess they just had too many. They need to do Drowsy At The Wheel, next.
Back to top Go down
Kiresg
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 27 Jul 2012, 21:35

Drowsy At The Wheel for sure. "Don't play Coltrane, you will sleep at the wheel".

Does anyone know if they'll be re-recording these? Or is this just a collection of the existing tunes?
Back to top Go down
Niftium
little beast
little beast

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 28 Jul 2012, 02:27

Judging by the way that the A-side is listed with each, I assume each track is straight off of the singles disc. Or the compilation, in the case of "Snowball."
Back to top Go down
Kiresg
little beast
little beast

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 28 Jul 2012, 02:37

Niftium wrote:
Judging by the way that the A-side is listed with each, I assume each track is straight off of the singles disc. Or the compilation, in the case of "Snowball."

I figured. It'll be nice to finally have a physical copy of McGreggor in any case.
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 28 Jul 2012, 04:19

Niftium wrote:

Oh right, I didn't think of that. That makes sense.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Aug 2012, 18:25

Not long now peeps, having an elbow fest at the moment again listening to all the old stuff again.
Back to top Go down
TinTin
friend of ours
friend of ours
TinTin

Female Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2012-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Aug 2012, 20:34

Yeh Chrissy Boy lay out in garden star gazing listening to asleep in the back up loud on my iPod . : Brilliant ,hardest thing not singing along and upsetting the neighbours. LOL
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Aug 2012, 16:15

haha, yeah singing with headphones on always sounds brilliant in your head...but not so good for everyone else. Wink
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Aug 2012, 14:53

just got confirmation of despatch from Amazon, might be here tomorrow, yay !
yes, i know i've heard most of them before, but still its good to have something to look forward to ;-)
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Aug 2012, 09:28

The post just arrived and I have my CD today ;-)))
Back to top Go down
Lorne
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Aug 2012, 14:42

My CD came today and I'm pretty disappointed. Some tracks like Snowball are ok but others sound like, and after looking at the spectrums in Audacity, look like, they've come from low quality mp3 rips. Thinking of complaining to Fiction or V2 or whoever.

Edit: Right so I've had a proper look and it seems like the only tracks that are affected are None One and Lucky With Disease, which isn't so bad but still disappointing. I would have thought they'd be able to source the master tapes or at least the original CDs, or who knows maybe this was the way they were originally recorded. I'd still like to know why these tracks are such low quality.

Edit 2: Took an even more proper look with a program called Audio Checker and here's the result. Every track really should say CDDA and the ones that say MPEG are likely taken from low quality CD rips. Maybe I'm making too much of a fuss and maybe this is the wrong place to complain but I'm rather disappointed after waiting for this for a while.
Back to top Go down
JessieAddick
little beast
little beast
JessieAddick

Female Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Aug 2012, 02:43

Where can I find the Audio Checker program?I have both tracks you mentioned on the original CD singles but have never noticed any quality problems with them... Question

Well,the only problem I have so far regarding Elbow CD's is the acoustic version of About Time on the Powder Blue CD single -- the vocals come out from only one channel! Perhaps it was just recorded this way but still...what a shame...
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/jessieron
Joost
fallen angel
fallen angel
Joost

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Aug 2012, 15:20

Lorne wrote:
Edit: Right so I've had a proper look and it seems like the only tracks that are affected are None One and Lucky With Disease, which isn't so bad but still disappointing. I would have thought they'd be able to source the master tapes or at least the original CDs, or who knows maybe this was the way they were originally recorded. I'd still like to know why these tracks are such low quality.
Guy says about Lucky With Disease:
Quote :
"We recorded it on a four-track with one broken channel, so it’s technically a three-track recording."
Source
Back to top Go down
Niftium
little beast
little beast

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Aug 2012, 15:35

I'd still be curious to hear if there's a difference between the single version and the album version (particularly of None One).
Back to top Go down
Molly
fallen angel
fallen angel
Molly

Female Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Aug 2012, 17:51

I found this on the BBC website, Guy talking about dead in the boot, its on tomorrow at 10(well the program starts at 10) on 6 music
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m6ky3 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nyarlathotep
newborn
newborn

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Aug 2012, 20:13

I'm happy with the release. Sounds cleaner / higher quality than any of the tracks could find on my own before.

The only real difference I can tell off hand though is that there's a nice little lead in from The Long War Shuffle into Every Bit the Little Girl. Makes it feel more like a proper album.
Back to top Go down
Kiresg
little beast
little beast

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Aug 2012, 02:07

Nyarlathotep wrote:
I'm happy with the release. Sounds cleaner / higher quality than any of the tracks could find on my own before.

The only real difference I can tell off hand though is that there's a nice little lead in from The Long War Shuffle into Every Bit the Little Girl. Makes it feel more like a proper album.

Sounds promising. Can't wait until us poor saps in the U.S. have the chance to get a copy.
Back to top Go down
Nyarlathotep
newborn
newborn

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Aug 2012, 08:44

Yeah, not going to lie. I did illegitimately download it, but only because of how hard it is to get in the US right now. Have it on pre-order on Amazon.com though, that's set to ship sometime next month.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dead in the Boot (August 27th)   Dead in the Boot (August 27th) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dead in the Boot (August 27th)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next