elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives

Go down 
+9
Hotblack
TamedLamia
leespoons
ChrissyBoy
Jones
lucky with disease
vincento72
Jonny
ChrissieInFL
13 posters
AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Empty
PostSubject: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitimeTue 06 May 2008, 14:05

I'm guessing that many of us have certain moments where something major was happening in our lives, and that Elbow's music played a role in it - either helped you through a rough patch, added to a joyous occasion, or was just part of a memorable experience. I know it's true for me, and I'm curious to know about your stories too. Wanna share?

I actually have a few like that, but the most recent was this past February when my grandmother passed away. I was very close to her, and it was tough to see her go. The toughest thing was taking my grandfather to visit her in hospital while it was all going downhill. He and my gran had been married for more than 60 years by then, and their devotion to each other was never more obvious than during her illness. He sat next to her and held her hand every chance he could, and kept asking her, "Are you alright, Cookie?" Hearing him using the nickname he'd called her for so long was so affecting. Eventually she could no longer answer him, but he kept asking. No matter what, he wasn't going anywhere.

I think that's the first time that I really, really felt the power of Newborn. It's one of those songs that gets to you the first time you hear it. But seeing the lyrics virtually played out in front of me was one of the most intense emotional experiences I've ever had. "Love not by degrees..." "All of these promises kept and unbroken..." Man, the words just hit it on the head. Only thing missing was the bloody bathtub. Rolling Eyes

Sorry if that bummed anyone out, but I actually think it's a testament to the beauty and magic of that song and to the musical skills of the men who made it. I'm sure the rest of you have more to say on this subject...
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitimeTue 06 May 2008, 18:22

Wow, I'm just glad to hear that relationships with that much power actually exist... beautiful

I've never connected with any lyrics really. But music from a song I was listening to during a big moment in my life will always make me memory send echoes through me. For example, Fugitive Motel reminds me of walking home from my ex girlfriend's house in the autumn. but it's only the music. Still - I think that counts as a life soundtrack Smile
Back to top Go down
vincento72
newborn
newborn
vincento72

Male Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitimeTue 06 May 2008, 21:22

When I first heard Everthere I thought, "Well, this about sums me up at the moment", more salt than pepper in the hair etc. I just think that its the whole craftsmanship of the lyrics of most Elbow songs that lifts them above all the mundane crap that promulgates the charts and playlists of certain radio stations.
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitimeTue 06 May 2008, 23:17

Just mentioning three that jump into my head a lot.
'Waving from Windows' always plays in my head as I look out the window on train journeys.
'Any Day Now' as I set off somewhere new in the car...the rhythm and lyrics of these two seem to fit the different ways of travelling, Any Day is more urgent driving, Waving from Windows, more dream-like as scenery glides past.
I have an old wedding photo, where we are walking out of the church after getting married, arm in arm, with happy faces and confetti flying around us. I call it our 'Great Expectations' picture.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitimeWed 07 May 2008, 13:24

Another one is Station Approach. I remember getting ready to go home and spend Thanksgiving with my family a couple of years back, and as I was packing it happened to come on the random play on my stereo. It made me smile because it really does capture all the anticipation of returning home after a long time away.
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitimeWed 07 May 2008, 13:55

I'm with you on Station Approach actually, Chrissie. It's the feel like I designed the buildings I walk by line that does it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitimeWed 07 May 2008, 18:19

'My Very Best' - Erm, self-explanatory really, but also on a lighter note: 'Mexican Standoff', which is also self-explanatory really, haha! Razz
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitimeWed 07 May 2008, 18:30

Powder Blue strikes a chord with me as i lost my brother to an overdose.
It was actually out long after he died, but it makes me think of his lifestyle as an addict.

Bring that minute back
We never get so close to death
Makes you so alive

(that is until you od!)
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitimeWed 07 May 2008, 19:13

Jones wrote:
'My Very Best' - Erm, self-explanatory really, but also on a lighter note: 'Mexican Standoff', which is also self-explanatory really, haha! Razz

Yes, I wish I'd had those two songs when I was in my late teens/early twenties. The last time I split up with someone all I had to comfort me was 'Attack of the Grey Lantern' by Mansun, which, great album though it is, isn't really a great break-up album.

ChrissyBoy, sorry to hear about your brother Neutral
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitimeWed 07 May 2008, 20:38

After surviving a lymphome I have a special feeling for "Newborn" too, though the topic of it is not meant like that.
Then "Great Expectations" is very special for me because Elbow used the live version from the Berlin Concert for the "B*ll*cks to Cancer"CD.

But the song I feel most in common with is "Flying Dream 143" because I have Flying Dreams from time to time. I even met Guy there two times...one time I told him how I fly (waving my arms like wings) and one time I sat on his back and we did a rollercoaster-like flight through a nice green landscape ... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitimeThu 08 May 2008, 07:37

Elbow's music speaks to me in so many different ways at so many different times I can't pinpoint anything specific.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitimeThu 08 May 2008, 07:45

lee spoons wrote:
ChrissyBoy, sorry to hear about your brother Neutral
Cheers, was a long time ago now '96. But serves as a reminder of tragic consequences for those drawn into drugs. Mad
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitimeThu 08 May 2008, 08:12

Great Expectations always makes me think of my wedding day in Sri Lanka, with an elephant. Not quite the same as a bus full of prostitutes and singing football supporters but you get the idea.

Fugitive Motel always reminds me of being in France on a training course on my own for two weeks, stuck in a crappy Hotel in Brest ("...you hear through the walls in this place..."), being away from MrsMT (before we were married) and just wishing I was back home with her.

Last edited by MagicalTrevor on Thu 08 May 2008, 09:49; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitimeThu 08 May 2008, 09:42

I think ODLT applied yesterday, looked out the window and thought, what a fantastic day Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitimeThu 08 May 2008, 12:32

MagicalTrevor wrote:
Great Expectations always makes me think of my wedding day in Sri Lanka, with an elephant. Not quite the same as a bus full of prostitutes and singing football supporters but you get the idea.

Fugitive Motel always reminds me of being in France on a training course on my own for two weeks, stuck in a crappy Hotel in Brest ("...you hear through the walls in this place..."), being away from MrsMT (before we were married) and just wishing I was back home with her.

Awww...that's lovely! You two are just too adorable for words! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitimeFri 09 May 2008, 20:18

MagicalTrevor wrote:

you had a 'Great Expectations' Wedding day too, Trev?...perhaps we should hava a picture collection of our I love you Great Expectations weddings....though mines more 'Everthere' and 'chamois creased, laugh politely at repeats' nowadays What a Face
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitimeSat 10 May 2008, 12:59

lucky with disease wrote:
you had a 'Great Expectations' Wedding day too, Trev?...perhaps we should hava a picture collection of our I love you Great Expectations weddings....though mines more 'Everthere' and 'chamois creased, laugh politely at repeats' nowadays What a Face

Good idea! Bring on the pics! Very Happy And I think having an Everthere type of marriage is a pretty good deal. Not everybody's Great Expectations end up in Everthere territory so good for you!
Back to top Go down
lapitu
fallen angel
fallen angel

Female Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitimeMon 12 May 2008, 10:27

Asleep In The Back reminds me of some crazy "hey, let's see 3 bands in 4 different cities in 3 different countries in 4 days§-trip we did last year. elbow have the best soundtracks for traveling Very Happy
and Station Approach makes me think of Vienna... I don't live here, but it's more home for me than anywhere else in the world.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitimeSat 24 May 2008, 18:18

Well, in one day i had two "Elbow in real life" moments - a "newborn" moment, watching an old man help his wife out of the car in the car park of my doctor's surgury. Her face was empty, but he kept talking to her, and doing everything for her. After i came out of the Surgury, i bumped into a couple who could have walked straight out of Powder Blue, buying cider in the corner shop... I must confess to being an emotional wreck by the time i got home!
I can remember Station Approach coming on shuffle as the train aproached my home station, i grined like a moron!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives   Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elbow - the soundtrack of our lives
Page 1 of 1