elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

London O2 Arena - 28th March

Go down 
+20
McGreggor lives!
AyannaD
Atane
Bennington
ChrissyBoy
My Bury Vest
Emma M
mitchy
lordlee
MantraLuna
lucky with disease
DavidC
kcdc230
Lynne
Mr_K
ekimq
LongLegs
Cozzer
andy_landy
Kim
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

London O2 Arena - 28th March Empty
PostSubject: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeMon 28 Mar 2011, 23:16

Wow!! Absolutely top night - perhaps not quite as good as MEN but preeeetty close!

Top moments for me:

- Seeing Mr and Mrs Evilpixie, and seeing Frances from afar Very Happy
- Actually having a bunch of Musers in the queue (Queen Ali!) and covering the end of the runway - Musers know how to have a good time. ^_^
- Getting a Guy point during With Love and a grin later on
- Craig giving me a friendly eyebrow-raise before Puncture Repair, and a nod from Jupp during the cocktails
- Guy getting knickers thrown at him for the very first time. Tom Jones eat your heart out. lol!
- Guy talking about tentacle sex (don't ask... no, really)
- Talking to the Villagers drummer James as he was standing by the barriers after the show - he was the only Villager I didn't get to meet at MEN so now I've officially met all of them. \o/

And I'm sure I've missed some! Man, REALLY wish I was going tomorrow, and Dublin...
Back to top Go down
andy_landy
little beast
little beast
andy_landy

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeMon 28 Mar 2011, 23:31

Kim wrote:
- Guy getting knickers thrown at him for the very first time. Tom Jones eat your heart out. lol!

hahaha, brilliant Laughing please tell me that was no-one from here Twisted Evil

sounds like a great night out!
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeMon 28 Mar 2011, 23:33

Haha, no one I recognised anyway.

Another top bit:

- Seeing the lads messing about up close for Weather To Fly, including Pete giving Guy's arse a good fondle and Guy stepping on Jupp's feet. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cozzer
little beast
little beast
Cozzer

Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Wow   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 00:32

Astonishingly good. 20,000 people eating out of the palm of your hands. Sound was perfect, Guy's voice was on top form. If anything better than Brum. One of the best concerts I've ever been to. Was sad to come away.
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 06:11

Ooh whereabouts were you Cozzer?
Back to top Go down
Cozzer
little beast
little beast
Cozzer

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 07:14

Kim wrote:
Ooh whereabouts were you Cozzer?

Block 111, Row D, Seat 343 ... according to the ticket. Bought with thanks from suzyjj of this parish. About two rows up from standing, on the right hand side a third of the way back from the stage. All in all very happy indeed with our tickets, and even more so with the gig. Was a cracker!

Cannot believe somebody threw their knickers at Garvey. Hope they were freshly laundered Shocked
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 08:43

For me it was the best night of the tour, I've seen five and there was just something I loved about last night. Maybe I just have had more time to accept the set list is the way it is for a reason and am not so bitter Wink Maybe it was the knickers Wink We had a lot of great people around us too, singing their hearts out to everything! For an arena show it was great! Roll on tonight!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
ekimq
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 09:06

Many thanks to Barbera for sharing her extra tickets with a fellow fan. We had a great time and the initial trepidation when the set opened was soon dispelled - the boys hit the ground running and never looked back.

"Some riot" was especially poigniant for me as I too am watching a friend growing his own brambles.

I couldn't believe some idiot about 5 seats away from me who only lasted as far as the third song before yelling "play something we know." <sarcasm>Yup, I often spend £30 plus travel/food/time to go listen to bands I don't really like.</sarcasm>

Anyway, my hands hurt too much to type any more and my grin is too big for everyone in the office Very Happy bounce Laughing cheers

Headset on, volume up!
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 09:13

We went last night, but unfortunately Mrs K wasn't 100% so we didn't get right into the mix of people nearer the stage like we normally would. As a consequence we were at the back with those more interested in getting a drink and having a chat. There was even some twat moaning about the lads taking too long between songs and whinging during "Great Expectations" about "playing stuff no-one knows." Dickhead! If it had not been for Mrs K's calming influence and the Elboy's ability to make an all-consuming wonderful noise then I think I might have gone off on one...

One observation - apart from the obvious (i.e. they were brilliant etc.) - familiarity with the songs makes one forget how quietly experimental Elbow are. This was perhaps more apparent live, but I was struck with how uncompromised the new stuff is, and how unconventional some of the song structures are.

Anyway, the setlist was, I think, as follows

The Birds (brilliant live, but the sound, at the back at any rate, wasn't quite right for this)
The Bones of You
Lippy Kids (just magical. Do they know those days are golden? Tears to the eyes stuff)
Mirrorball
With Love (Fun singalong, but not my favourite song. Better live, though)
Neat Little Rows (This is potent live)
The Night Will Always Win
Great Expectations (Lovely to hear this, despite Mr Twat behind me)
Grounds for Divorce (Not so much prog without solos as Led Zep without solos. Awesome.)
The Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver (Awesome x 2. Wow)
Puncture Repair (Guy managing to be intimate with 20000 people. That's special.)
Some Riot
Weather to Fly
Open Arms (A magnificent closer. Epic, but somehow more intimate that ODLT. Fresher too.)

Starlings
Station Approach (Thank you Elbow. This song just makes me cry with joy)
One Day Like This (Well, it wasn't gonna be anything else, was it. In this environment - fab!)

Oh, and the cocktail was Mandelson's Wigwam.

At least 5 people from my office are going tonight. Lucky bastards! Make no mistake, Elbow are now massive - and it couldn't happen to a better band.
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 09:15

So where's the best spot then? We are off tonight and want to enjoy and get the best view. We usually stand to the right of Mark but the runway at the end of the stage sounds a better option!

Funnily enough talking of knickers. I'm staying in Chiswick with my sister who we are meeting at the gig tonight and will be travelling light! So will have a spare pair of undies in my tiny shoulder bag. My sister laughed and dared me to throw them on stage. Was thinking to myself now that would be a first!

If there are any undies thrown tonight I can confirm they will not be mine!
Back to top Go down
kcdc230
fallen angel
fallen angel
kcdc230

Male Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-03-29

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 10:04

Hi all - Newbie here on the forum, and also Newbie at an Elbow gig (or should I say concert?! - those of you who were there will understand!).

Been to a lot of concerts over my 40-something years, but I have to say that last night was definitely one of the best - my friend of many years has been in to Elbow since the first album, but I'm afraid to say that I've come late to the party, but am now making up for lost time!

Kim, I think we were very close to where you were - just to the right of the 'B' stage. Looking at your profile pic, I think this could be you (and partner?) in this pic;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61151030@N03/5570400703/

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 10:11

Last edited by Toasted Toast on Mon 19 Jul 2021, 00:39; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cozzer
little beast
little beast
Cozzer

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 10:12

Have to say, on the evidence of last night, I don't see Elbow returning to playing 'normal' sized venues anytime soon. The O2 is a massive arena and they were somehow able to make it seem intimate. Odd that they can play a song like Puncture Repair in a cavern like that and still command the rapt attention of 99.99% of the crowd (yes, there was the odd dickhead but they were in a minority).

They also mastered the dynamics in a way I didn't believe was possible. Neat Little Rows built gradually until it 'pulsed' with power. It was a masterclass in how to play arenas. They made U2 (who have plenty of experience in this area) look like The Undertones. I was more than a little shocked at the ease in which they have taken up this mantle. Seems like the 20 year apprenticeship has paid off. They are now Jedi masters.
Back to top Go down
DavidC
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 1

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 10:18

Fantastic gig last night; I'd seen Elbow once before at a much smaller venue and thought they filled the O2 brilliantly. Here's my review on The Arts Desk:

http://www.theartsdesk.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=3376:elbow-o2-arena-review&Itemid=27
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 10:19

Lynne, end of the runway, centre...where kim normally stands is good! we will look out for you from the seats...still adapting to being such a distance, but should be able to spot you.
I expect your knickers would be more tasteful!....the ones last night looked massive bridget jones from what i could see, guy quickly stuffed them in his pocket!

Cozzer....don't say that affraid Wink Its still strange seeing the rest of the band positioned so far apart from each other on stage, especially Mark and Pete...the little get togethers for some of the songs make up for it.
one little niggle was that from where i was guy's voice on speaking(not on the singing) was echoing back from the back of the arena....bit like a bad telephone line. Hope thats remedied for tonight.
Favourites for me last night live were The Birds and Neat little rows and Weather to Fly, and watching 2 of the crew legging it up the trapeze ladders to the roof in preparation.

Villagers were amazingly powerful and rocking, and dynamic on stage....really loved them! Really looking forward to their set again tonight.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
Cozzer
little beast
little beast
Cozzer

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 10:34

DavidC wrote:
Fantastic gig last night; I'd seen Elbow once before at a much smaller venue and thought they filled the O2 brilliantly. Here's my review on The Arts Desk:

http://www.theartsdesk.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=3376:elbow-o2-arena-review&Itemid=27

Great review - summed up my experience very well indeed. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
MantraLuna
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-03-09

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 11:11

Still a newbie to this Forum, and in many ways still a newbie to Elbow, though my first gig was amazing (Delamere Forest 2008 with IAK, to boot) but what comes over is that Elbow reach out to individuals, and even in 2008, at Cambridge Corn Exchange, I felt I was a late gate-crasher in loving a band that some had followed for many years. Though I do know an early supporter of theirs - Guy Lovelady - went to my school, same year as my brother, and we keep in touch from time to time. That's my small claim to know the Elbow of the past.

Since 2008, of course, the band have becaome even bigger, and richly deserved. I happen to think U2 will wish they didn't have to go on at Glastonbury after them!

Anyway, what's the point of this posting? Well just to say that with my sister and her boyfriend having just gone through the worst experience any couple could have infliucted upon them, I have treated them to tonight's show. Because Elbow are all about people/closeness/understanding and they do it through the most amazing music.

I fear I shan't be able to stem a tear - again - hearing the chord change in Tower Crane Driver, tonight.

Looks like the same set list at Cambridge Junction, can't wait. Yes, more old stuff would be nice, but next year, build a rocket boys will be older, too!

Back to top Go down
lordlee
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 11:22

Thoroughly enjoyed last night! Awesome experience from 5ft away from the centre stage. They made the O2 feel like a village hall (in the nicest sense of the word). Masterclass.

One question... everyone has been going on about Guy's banter being more predominant and witty. It was both... but no more then in previous tours i thought. Did he speak more on other dates than at the O2?
Back to top Go down
mitchy
little beast
little beast
mitchy

Female Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-09-01

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 11:28

What a nite! Still not come back down to earth. Guy on top form. Too hungover to write much more. Was singing on the station on the way home 'throw those tube doors wide, one train to cockfosters will see me right' Beer

Go on Lynne, throw your knix - if i had thrown mine it would have blocked all the lights/ stage................

So wish i was going tonight, hope you all have a gorgeous time,

Mitchy x
Back to top Go down
Cozzer
little beast
little beast
Cozzer

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 11:50

lordlee wrote:
One question... everyone has been going on about Guy's banter being more predominant and witty. It was both... but no more then in previous tours i thought. Did he speak more on other dates than at the O2?

Not really - the same amount but different patter. He is a genial soul.
Back to top Go down
Emma M
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 11:51

Hi new here but not New to Elbow... last night was Epic.

I was worried about seeing them at a larger venue but Guy and the gang made the whole thing very intimate. Guy's voice was on top form, some hearbreaking sounds Smile.

I laughed i almost cried at the more tender moments and i cannot wait to do the whole thing again tonight, tentacles and all Smile !

Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 11:55

DavidC wrote:

That's by far the best review of any I've seen of the tour so far....SO right regarding the point about crowd responses at arena gigs, dull, in the main, as dishwater at Sheffield, the opposite in Manchester - it's not as if Elbow played any better at the MEN.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 15:48

Sounds a blast, glad you all enjoyed it so much - especially those who has some doubts before hand
cause of the arenas and set list.

My Bury Vest wrote:
....SO right regarding the point about crowd responses at arena gigs, dull, in the main, as dishwater at Sheffield, the opposite in Manchester - it's not as if Elbow played any better at the MEN.

exactly MBV, I felt the first gig in Glasgow was tremendously well received (no doubt helped by a Scottish like a beer or two crowd!!) Laughing
some places just generate a better feel than others i'm sure.

You hear it from other bands about reactions in certain venues/parts of the country or even
comedians who play to some dire responses with the same set.
Back to top Go down
Bennington
fallen angel
fallen angel
Bennington

Male Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 17:08

Marvelous concert! The guys where on top form. They sounded great, they performed brilliantly. Guy was in his element talking to the crowds with such ease with his witty banter.

My ONLY disappointment was mainly the fact they didn't play anything from Asleep in the Back or Cast of thousands. Though that was was probably due to the audience (they had to play all their biggest hits) That said, the songs they did play where stella and where easily some of the my favorites from the last 3 albums.

MY standouts:

THE BIRDS --- Fantastic opener. Mark's guitar sounded killer.
THE BONES OF YOU ---- this is Richards song. As soon as he hit that baseline in the bridge, i was blown away. Sounds tremendous live!
GROUNDS FOR DIVORCE --- A real monster live! perfect as always.
GREAT EXPECTATIONS ---- So unexpected, but performed brilliantly. Guys' right, the story behind the song is almost as good as the song itself!
ONE DAY LIKE THIS --- the PERFECT closer! just flawless!

My seat wasn't that bad either, though i do wish i was a little nearer to the stage.The band looked like little bee's wizzing around where i was sitting XD

Back to top Go down
http://thexilexile.co.nr
Atane
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-02-11

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 20:10

We came from Paris to attend this gig. This was my wife's 40th birthday present.
She still can't believe what she saw and heard !!
Everything went perfect, from cristal clear sound to Guy's voice, from the String Quartet introduction before The Villagers to the light-show and the huge screens behind the stage,...
I still can't understand how Elbow are not known in France, when they can fill twice the O2 Arena with such an enthusiastic crowd !

Regards !

Atane.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: London O2 Arena - 28th March   London O2 Arena - 28th March Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

London O2 Arena - 28th March
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next