elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sheffield gig goers

Go down 
+14
lucky with disease
oneofthethree
Minerva69
WOBLEwoble
asparrowgoose
Cestriansteve
Fancy Pants
Lynne
ChrissyBoy
Jones
andy_landy
hilaryg
My Bury Vest
LongLegs
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Sheffield gig goers  Empty
PostSubject: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 16:29

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 16:30

Yep, ticky just put summat up on Facebook - looking forward to it even more now !
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 16:33

I canna get Stalkbook/Twitter/YouTube at work Sad

it's still exciting!
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 16:54

LongLegs wrote:
I canna get Stalkbook/Twitter/YouTube at work Sad

it's still exciting!

I can't either LL, the joys of working early shifts and being home for 2.30pm....!!
Back to top Go down
hilaryg
friend of ours
friend of ours
hilaryg

Female Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 21:56

Oh well, that's one song fixed on the set list then! Laughing

(busy trying to avoid spoilers for the next 10 days)
Back to top Go down
andy_landy
little beast
little beast
andy_landy

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 23:32

elbow and RH: magic combination, you lucky lucky folks: am very jealous Smile
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 23:33

Mmm...
Is it a little...obvious?
Nice but obvious?
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeThu 10 Mar 2011, 11:52

Obvious, sure but who cares!!! We get Hawley, I think it's a beautiful thing!!
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeThu 10 Mar 2011, 12:38

LongLegs wrote:

Garvey and Hawley - 2 peas in a pod - 2 magnificent Northern gentlemen - it's a TUNE, and will add to what will be a magnificent night..........Sir Vest is convinced !
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeFri 11 Mar 2011, 18:41

LongLegs wrote:

Yes, yes, of course but wouldn't it be great if they did something different?
They did Cole's Corner in Dingle... Exclamation
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeFri 11 Mar 2011, 20:18

Jones wrote:
LongLegs wrote:

Yes, yes, of course but wouldn't it be great if they did something different?
They did Cole's Corner in Dingle... Exclamation

Yeah, must admit - if they did 'Coles Corner' or 'Valentine' or 'The Ocean' or 'Born Under A Bad Sign' you get my drift - in hindsight, I'd prefer it if they duetted a Hawley track or a classic Elbow tune.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeSat 12 Mar 2011, 20:06

My point exactly.
I love Hawley but 'The Fix' is such an obvious choice -something different please...
And between the two there's such a wealth of material to choose from!

Well, who knows? They may just surprise us. Sheffield gig goers  Smiley-happy119
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011, 16:34

What's everyone's plans for tomorrow ?

We're on the 1242 train from Manchester - then checking in at our pub/hotel in Hillsborough - feed in there, then a pub crawl around Sheffield....aiming to get in at just gone 8pm, anticipating an 8.45 start.

'It's been a long time coming' (as the excellent Delays once sang about).

Can't wait ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hilaryg
friend of ours
friend of ours
hilaryg

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011, 19:36

Being driven by friends, getting to Meadowhall about 5.30pm-ish, they're sitting so are planning to go and get a cup of tea and head to venue later. I'm standing so heading straight for the tram and try and get there for doors opening at 6.30pm and a good spot near the front. Then wait and enjoy!

I'll just say this now then shut up - I *hate* the Sheffield Arena, it's a miserable pig of a venue and I really hope Elbow can whip up some atmosphere, cos I've never come out of there buzzing like I've done for the same bands at other venues.....

and [full whinge mode] in April 2008 they played the Octagon in Sheffield on the TSSK launch tour, I rolled up 30 minutes before doors and started the queue and got a barrier spot, doubt I'll be able to do that this time. That was the night of my infamous video of Guy's tummy....[/whinge]

Despite all of that, yes I am looking forward to it very much indeed! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011, 19:41

Yeah, Hilary - the only time I've been was in '95 to see Oasis, can't remember very clearly what the Arena was like - the gig WAS great though.

Tomorrow, football wise, Leeds United are in town, so anyone, like me, who'll be having a few scoops early aft and tea time, bear it in mind that coppers/idiots MAY be around....
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011, 19:57

Have a great time tomorrow night everyone ! bounce
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar 2011, 10:17

Have a fabulous time in Sheffield everyone.
Back to top Go down
hilaryg
friend of ours
friend of ours
hilaryg

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar 2011, 13:08

The sun is out, the birds are singing and an elbow gig tonight. It's looking like a beautiful day. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fancy Pants
fallen angel
fallen angel
Fancy Pants

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar 2011, 13:18

hilaryg wrote:
The sun is out, the birds are singing and an elbow gig tonight. It's looking like a beautiful day. Laughing

Indeed. I'm leaving Grimsby for Sheffield at about 5pm, and meeting my mate there who's coming the other way from Manchester.

I'm also hoping for a bit of variation from the Boys and Hawley, it would certainly be nice to hear them do something different from one of the older albums. Time will tell, I guess...
Back to top Go down
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar 2011, 23:21

Having my appendix removed meant that I had to miss Sheffield tonight. I'm so gutted. Sad

I hope you all had a great night and fingers crossed I'll have people who can get me and my Wheelchair to Liverpool tomorrow night. Smile
Back to top Go down
hilaryg
friend of ours
friend of ours
hilaryg

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeSun 20 Mar 2011, 00:56

oh no! So sorry you missed it, it was a classic.

I shall post photos tomorrow....

All I shall say for now is that they've obviously upped the budget for set, lighting and extras, it was fab. And about a third of the way now I stopped being bothered about no songs from the first two albums as I was having such a good time.

And I only cried twice!

Met up with a former board member in the queue, which was splendid, then stood next to Jones at the barrier and said hello to Kim very briefly. All in all, an excellent evening, can't wait now for the MEN.
Back to top Go down
Fancy Pants
fallen angel
fallen angel
Fancy Pants

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeSun 20 Mar 2011, 10:38

It was indeed a very good show last night, however it was somewhat spoiled for me and a few people around me by the 3 utter morons stood in front of me who were very drunk (particularly one lad) and inconsiderate. Despite numerous polite requests, they wouldn't stop talking during the songs and kept dancing about like idiots, completely inappropriately, with the worst lad swaying around and knocking into people persistantly Evil or Very Mad It really did take the shine off it for me, sadly.

However, it was a great performance by the boys though and Guy was on top form as usual, both vocally and creating a rapport with the crowd. It was nice to hear Puncture Repair in there, the opener of The Birds sounded fab and Great Expectations just melted my heart. The overall sound was very impressive, it had a really rich warmth to it. The slight exception was the first verse of The Night Will Always Win which seemed a bit off levels-wisem, but they sorted that quickly enough. There were a couple of their more upbeat tracks in there which created a monumentally epic wall of sound and really got the crowd involved Smile

Overall, it was very good and I can't wait for Manchester now bounce

Rachael Smith, Rachael Smith, the moooooooooon and Rachael Smith... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeSun 20 Mar 2011, 11:58

Fancy Pants wrote:
It was indeed a very good show last night, however it was somewhat spoiled for me and a few people around me by the 3 utter morons stood in front of me who were very drunk (particularly one lad) and inconsiderate. Despite numerous polite requests, they wouldn't stop talking during the songs and kept dancing about like idiots, completely inappropriately, with the worst lad swaying around and knocking into people persistantly Evil or Very Mad It really did take the shine off it for me, sadly.

Sadly this kind of behaviour is all too common these days. Why do these idiots pay for tickets and then behave like that? They'd be better off in the pub where they can talk as much as they like and not spoil things for others. It seems to be worse with Arena shows. People seem to be more interested in seeing how much beer they can consume during the show instead of watching the band. Most of these idiots are only there to see them perform One Day Like This.
I remember being at Llandudno a few years ago. One such idiot kept shouting for 'Any Day Like This'. He then told a guy he was with that 'Fugitive Motel' and 'Scattered Black & Whites' were new songs and he didn't think much to them! W****r!
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: hiya fancy pants would you describe what these 3 "utter morons" looked like and where they were stood?   Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeSun 20 Mar 2011, 12:13

Hiya fancy pants would you like to describe these 3 "utter morons" and where they were stood
Back to top Go down
asparrowgoose
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitimeSun 20 Mar 2011, 12:49

Unfortunately, I was very dissapointed with this gig Sad.

The setlist was not good in my opinion. I love the majority of songs, SSK and BARB are incredible albums. But so much of those songs just aren't that enthralling live. I've nothing against slow songs and would not have minded a handful chucked in there, but it was mostly a very dozey concert caused largely by the songs they picked. Much more upbeat songs could have been thrown in, but instead we only really got two proper rock anthems in GFD and NLR.

Now, obviously, main complaint that I'm sure the topic has been beaten to death on the forums already...where was COT and AITB?! This is the first gig I've been to without looking at setlists and videos prior since I was hoping to be surprised by some old gems but got none. It was all way too focused on the last two albums which I just can't understand. Are they ashamed of the early work and feel they've matured alot since? Or maybe they feel like they'd alienate new listeners? I don't know...its a crying shame that they ignored those albums since they're stunners. No Mexican Standoff was also sorely missed.

My other major dissapointment was with the crowd. I suppose my enjoyment in gigs comes from being able to dance and jump around with an entire crowd to my favourite songs. This crowd bored me to tears. I was stood near the front and there was so much space between people it was unreal. Neat Little Rows and Grounds for Divorce were BEGGING to get the crowd moving and they were having none of it! During GFD I tried to get into it but later thought what's the point. When nobody else is bothering its just not fun. Honestly I wish I'd have gotten hammered like the lads you guys mentioned so I could have likely enjoyed it more without inhibitions of looking like a nob being the only one jumping. I understand some people would rather appreciate just standing and listening to the music, but oh well. Each to their own.

The guys were on top form though to be fair to them, Guy was hilarious and the light show really blew me away. I hate to be the stick in the mud of this topic but knowing now what elbow fans are mainly like (much like the fans at the LCCC Radiohead gig), and the poor setlist, I don't think I'll be going to see another elbow set.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield gig goers    Sheffield gig goers  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sheffield gig goers
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next