elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lippy Kids

Go down 
+21
yesman
elbowismymuse
Bennington
errant
josephblack
CrisalidaBoy
Jones
natalia
allyngibson
My Bury Vest
Lynne
AyannaD
ticky
Eag
HattyMarris
ukkonen
ChrissieInFL
ElbowFreak
Dano
TamedLamia
Misspelt Yoof
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
natalia
fallen angel
fallen angel
natalia

Female Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-04-04

Lippy Kids - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids   Lippy Kids - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2010, 12:18

Dano wrote:
We must remember it's a live version. Do you think the record version has the same arrangements?
I think they add cello.

According to one of Garvey's interviews to 6 Music, on the album Halle Choir is on the song.

Anyway, I loved Lippy Kids. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://dyingdays.net
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids   Lippy Kids - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2010, 14:06

I love the fact that it's a long song; unhurried and beautiful.
Truly a work of art...
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids   Lippy Kids - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2010, 16:50

Jones wrote:
I love the fact that it's a long song; unhurried and beautiful.
Truly a work of art...

What she said! Well put, Jones - that is it in a nutshell. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
CrisalidaBoy
fallen angel
fallen angel
CrisalidaBoy

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids   Lippy Kids - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Dec 2010, 18:17

This song's a grower. The more you listen to it, the better it gets. I like it, although I still find it quite boring near the after, after the explosion (when the album's title is pronounced, probably the best part of the song). Anyway, I really like the title and the concept, and I start to think about it as something reaaally good.

Maybe the only things I would really change is that it doesn't tell me anything Elbow hasn't yet. I mean, it's the same as always. That's ok, but it's also bad - that's why it's sounds a bit boring to me.

And... well I don't really like it as a opener, I have always prefered the albums that doesn't start with a slow song...
Back to top Go down
josephblack
friend of ours
friend of ours
josephblack

Male Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids   Lippy Kids - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Dec 2010, 19:50

After listening to 'Lippy Kids' a number of times...I really love it for this reason: Elbow continue to do what they do come commercial success, or not. In other words, this is (hopefully) proof that the new material has not in anyway been affected by the commercial success and omnipresence of the band and its music.
Jones referred to the 'unhurried' nature of the track and I totally agree. I hope that the fiscal freedom that TSSK has brought has equalled an 'unhurried' approach to making music in the best Elbow tradition.

Anyway, must go and perfect my 'Simian Stroll'.
Have a great New Year and I'm looking forward to 'building a rocket' in March.

Joe
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids   Lippy Kids - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 10:51

Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids   Lippy Kids - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 10:56

It is indeed. Thanks!
I've cried, too. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids   Lippy Kids - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 11:19

Misspelt Yoof wrote:
This is a good read: http://godisamanc.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/freshly-painted-angels-raymond-carver-and-guy-garvey/

it never fails to amaze me, how music (any music btw) can touch people in such a diverse fashion... saying that, i don't think its unfair to say that godismanc as issues... Neutral
Back to top Go down
Bennington
fallen angel
fallen angel
Bennington

Male Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids   Lippy Kids - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 18:39

The album version is amazing. The choir really makes the song so much more emotional. Still one of the best tracks Smile
Back to top Go down
http://thexilexile.co.nr
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids   Lippy Kids - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Mar 2011, 08:17

I have to admit to being wrong in feeling the album version didn't measure up to the live video. That now feels a bit naked after several listens of the album version! Still excellent, but I am falling in love with the album version.

Is it perfectly normal to keep shifting, rethinking, refeeling with regard to versions of songs.... not just that but the way you rank song quality on an album? I am so fickle it's untrue!

I now adore Open Arms... Where did that come from? I was so critical to begin with. I think it felt a little corny in a superficial way.... but it really isn't. It's just a lovely song, its arms.... wide open!

That was corny. I know. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

Male Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids   Lippy Kids - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 12 Mar 2011, 16:53

Just nice, nice song!
Back to top Go down
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours
yesman

Male Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids   Lippy Kids - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Mar 2011, 18:19

Bennington wrote:
The album version is amazing. The choir really makes the song so much more emotional. Still one of the best tracks Smile

I agree. The more I hear this , the more I love it.

The line "and nobody knew me at home any more" makes me well up. Crying or Very sad

Only "some riot" makes me feel the same way.

Back to top Go down
Paulo Paulo
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids   Lippy Kids - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 15 Apr 2011, 18:38

Sometimes a song can make your neck and back go tingly. And sometimes music can touch you in a profound way that makes you cry.

Lippy Kids makes me cry every time I hear it. And I still haven't worked out why it resonates with my very being so much.

Elbow now have a special place in my soul!
Back to top Go down
@MrIanGibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
@MrIanGibson

Male Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids   Lippy Kids - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 14:07

The new single out 8th Aug. B-Side Open Arms at St Pauls
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mriangibson
SwingKing
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids   Lippy Kids - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 05 Jul 2011, 07:36

Living in Britain you can get a bit jaded with the largely right-wing media and their belief that all teenagers are knife-wielding thugs. You begin to wonder if you're in the minority by thinking otherwise. Maybe it is still a minority belief, but thank god that if you share that belief you belong to an elite bunch of thinkers that include this fabulous band. As Guy put it so well in one of his introductions to this song, "How stupid to be afraid of people you don't even know".

I love the line "don't they know these days are golden". If you're still in touch with your childhood, or you have children yourself, you can easily relate to the spark of imagination in a young person, the possibility that anything and everything is achievable. Wonderful sentiment.
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids   Lippy Kids - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Aug 2011, 17:04

Just bought the "Lippy Kids" single through Amazon UK.

Even though I've listened to "Open Arms" from the St. Paul's Cathedral set at least a dozen times, the b-side version of it on the "Lippy Kids" is different enough from the Absolute webcast to be interesting. For one thing, Guy's introduction to the song is different; Absolute edited out some of Guy's dialogue with the audience. For another, the instrumentation is mixed a little differently. I didn't like this version of "Open Arms" when I first heard it, but it has grown on me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
Adderz
fallen angel
fallen angel
Adderz

Male Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids   Lippy Kids - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 10 Sep 2011, 15:41

Bennington wrote:

Totally agree! I can't get over how good the harmonies by the choir are! Really makes the song for me. I loved when they had the choir singing live on Jools Holland although the song can still stand on it's own very well without them at some of the festivals I have seen etc.=) x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids   Lippy Kids - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lippy Kids
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: elbow music-
Jump to: