elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lippy Kids single release

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Lippy Kids single release Empty
PostSubject: Lippy Kids single release   Lippy Kids single release Icon_minitimeMon 08 Aug 2011, 20:42

Ironic (and unfortunate) timing of the release of Lippy Kids when "hooded youths" are rioting across London and even in some parts across the UK.

If only a few more of those lippy kids had listened to our boys we might not be seeing these horrific scenes on the news. Sad

Hope everyone is staying safe! x
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids single release   Lippy Kids single release Icon_minitimeTue 09 Aug 2011, 15:22

I think the song may even point to some of the roots of this problem...

"Nobody knew me at home anymore..."
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids single release   Lippy Kids single release Icon_minitimeTue 09 Aug 2011, 23:10

Good spot MT.

I wish more of them had built a rocket instead of causing so much physical and emotional damage.

Hah, and as I write that a Desperado quote comes to mind too: "It's easier to pull the trigger than play guitar. Easier to destroy than to create."

EDIT: So much integrity in Guy's comments on twitter, I had to smile. Smile "Can't pretend to know what kind of desperation drives our young men to behave this badly.swear I'm going to find out how to help though. X"
Back to top Go down
Cozzer
little beast
little beast
Cozzer

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids single release   Lippy Kids single release Icon_minitimeWed 10 Aug 2011, 13:09

Kim wrote:
Good spot MT.

I wish more of them had built a rocket
instead of causing so much physical and emotional damage.

Hah, and as I write that a Desperado quote comes to mind too: "It's easier to pull the trigger than play guitar. Easier to destroy than to create."

EDIT: So much integrity in Guy's comments on twitter, I had to smile. Smile "Can't pretend to know what kind of desperation drives our young men to behave this badly.swear I'm going to find out how to help though. X"

Sadly more likely to nick it than build one .. troubling times. Whether we like it or not we're all responsible in one way or another. Hats off to those involved in the clear up exercises. Like most folk, I don't have answers .. just lots of questions.
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids single release   Lippy Kids single release Icon_minitimeThu 11 Aug 2011, 08:50

One thing to bear in mind is, don't fall into the trap of condemning an entire generation and a whole social class for this abomination.

Yes, it's clear there IS something sick within society, but the vast majority of those from whose numbers the rioters are supposed to have emerged would have been as horrified as the rest of us. It's not as if the entire populations of deprived areas rose up as one to tear down their city centres. It was a few hundred out of a few hundred thousand: the minority spoiling it for the majority.

And here we are again, vilifying "the hoodie" and "the chav", when 99% of them would have taken no part in the rioting.

Which brings us back to 'Lippy Kids' - surely part of the message of the song is, we shouldn't judge kids harshly or fear them just because of their appearance? And we should certainly refrain from tarring them all with the same brush as being uncontrollable monsters. I guess the trouble is, you can't tell the bad ones from the harmless ones if they all dress and act the same. But, it's probably best, for your own sanity, to believe in the fundamental decency of people, however they dress or act.

"Do they know those days are golden?". Probably not. The sad undercurrent of the song is that many teenagers don't realise they are at an important crossroads in their lives; they're at the very edge of either starting to fulfil their potential or, on the other hand, completely blowing it.

Some of them will go on to lead fulfilling lives, some will go on to live ordinary lives, but it 's still only the minority who turn into feral rats.

Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids single release   Lippy Kids single release Icon_minitimeFri 12 Aug 2011, 12:23

Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lippy Kids single release   Lippy Kids single release Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lippy Kids single release
Page 1 of 1