elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing...

Go down 
+6
ChrissyBoy
Hotblack
sparky
TamedLamia
Mr Woman
Mr_K
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing... Empty
PostSubject: Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing...   Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing... Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep 2010, 10:00

I was listening to Guns N' Roses (I've chilled out again now, though) and I got to thinking which other bands had made brilliant debuts and then either broken up, or simply never approached those initial highs ever again? Two immediately sprang to mind - Stones Roses & The Pistols.

So we have:
Appetite For Destruction - Guns N' Roses
Stone Roses - Stone Roses
Never Mind The Bollocks - Sex Pistols

Any others?
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing...   Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing... Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep 2010, 10:19

An obvious one that springs to mind would be The La's.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing...   Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing... Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep 2010, 11:26

Without thinking long I'd say
A Pacific Model.
Did a nice record somewhere between Radiohead and Elbow (the singer sounds a lot like Guy when he shouts)
but till now nothing new...according a note on the myspace-site they might be disbanded yet... Crying or Very sad

But I guess you mean bands, that released some more records but only the first one was the good one...
Speaking of ol' Gn'R, I found the follower of their first record quite good, "Estranged" is one of their best tracks. But after that the coolness went down the drain... Sad

lemme see...anyone else in that type...I know a lot bands where I like the debut most but the next records too...have to think about it... scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing...   Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing... Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep 2010, 11:55

The XX...OK maybe I'm being a little too hasty!
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing...   Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing... Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep 2010, 16:29

Badly Drawn Boy - Hour of Bewilderbeast.

Excellent first album followed by a soundtrack album with two good tracks and the rest filler and then................nothing but rubbish.

Propaganda - A Secret Wish

One excellnet debut then nothing at all apart for a badly conceived reformation with hardly any of the original line-up and an atrocious record.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing...   Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing... Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep 2010, 16:59

maybe Alanis Morrisette - Jagged Little Pill - stonking record, probably just 'too' big
and wasn't able to replicate. To be fair some of her other stuff is good.

Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing...   Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing... Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep 2010, 18:02

My nominees would include:

Lauryn Hill- The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

Pretenders - although my fave ever track by them is on their 2nd LP, nothing ever matched the overall quality and impact of that first eponymous album.

The Slits - Cut

De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising

Ian Dury - New Boots and Panties

Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing...   Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing... Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep 2010, 19:52

i'd go for Highly Evolved by The Vines - a top piece of work, once you ignore the Nirvana cheap comparisons - saw them live - was waiting to be disappointed, as they always were hit and miss - and was impressed, a shame they never really kept it going, I know it had a lot to do with Craig's Aspergers Syndrome, if memory serves.

As for The La's and Badly Drawn Boy, great shout's ! amazing pieces of work.

Top thread Mr K !
Back to top Go down
ChrisMcW
fallen angel
fallen angel
ChrisMcW

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing...   Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing... Icon_minitimeTue 28 Sep 2010, 15:16

One of the best débuts of all time was "It's Great When You're Straight Yeah" by Black Grape, Ryder was on form but the second album was awful!
Elastica would be another one too, as would Lo-Fi Allstars who could never match "How To Operate With A Blown Mind"...
Delakota, Longpigs too...
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing...   Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing... Icon_minitimeThu 30 Sep 2010, 17:10

I usually hold up Third Eye Blind as an example. First album -- massive. Subsequent albums -- barely made a dent.

Liz Phair is another good choice. Brilliant debut, followed by a lot of meandering. (I do like her later work, though. Her self-titled album providing some surprisingly interesting insights into the female perspective on relationships at a moment when I needed them.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing...   Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brilliant Debut Albums and then nothing...
Page 1 of 1