elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)

Go down 
+12
ChrissyBoy
Stockhaus
Bright Grey
Dr Evil
fecklessson7
leespoons
Dabamash
Glendarian
Hotblack
Jonny
Calum
ChrissieInFL
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Empty
PostSubject: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeThu 24 Apr 2008, 20:09

Who loves Neil Finn? I do!! He is a master songwriter and the work he's done, from Split Enz through the current incarnation of Crowded House, is phenomenal. Solo stuff and Finn Brothers (with Tim) are also chock full of awesome. And now Neil's son Liam is on the scene...there is waay too much musical talent in that family, am I right?
Back to top Go down
Calum
friend of ours
friend of ours
Calum

Male Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeThu 24 Apr 2008, 20:48

Finn-ish.

Oh dear.

*sigh*
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeFri 25 Apr 2008, 12:15

Calum wrote:
Finn-ish.

Oh dear.

*sigh*

Heh heh...sorry, couldn't resist. Cheesy jokes/puns are a weakness of mine! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeFri 25 Apr 2008, 13:23

Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) 128810
oh yeah, it's the BOMFUNK WinkWinkWink

in seriousness, there's a whooole lot of metal bands from Finland isn't there http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bands_from_Finland
only one I can see I know is HIM.
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeFri 25 Apr 2008, 13:50

I quite like Woodface, and I've got Together Alone but I have to admit to never playing them anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeFri 25 Apr 2008, 15:03

That Finnish artists list doesn't mention Wimme - not Finnish metal but my favourite Finn. Traditional "yoik" singing with ambient electronic backing - nice.

Sorry, not Crowded house either, I know Wink I too, only have Woodface, but saw them last year when they were on a double bill with Peter Gabriel - very good they were too - but PG was deffo the highlight for me - then again, from comments I heard around me and reviews I've seen since, most of the audience were Crowdies so it probably evens out somewhere...
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeFri 02 May 2008, 14:32

You know, I seriously can't believe that nobody here is into Crowded House and the other Neil/Tim Finn projects! scratch Listen, if anyone is willing and able, go find a DVD from a few years back called Seven Worlds Collide. It's a live show featuring Neil Finn and friends...including Johnny Marr, Eddie Vedder, Lisa Germano, Tim Finn, Ed O'Brien and Phil Selway of Radiohead, and Sebastian Steinberg. It's an awesome show even if you're not familiar with the Finns.
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeFri 02 May 2008, 15:07

I like crowded house.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeFri 02 May 2008, 16:28

ChrissieInFL wrote:
You know, I seriously can't believe that nobody here is into Crowded House and the other Neil/Tim Finn projects! scratch Listen, if anyone is willing and able, go find a DVD from a few years back called Seven Worlds Collide. It's a live show featuring Neil Finn and friends...including Johnny Marr, Eddie Vedder, Lisa Germano, Tim Finn, Ed O'Brien and Phil Selway of Radiohead, and Sebastian Steinberg. It's an awesome show even if you're not familiar with the Finns.

I'm quite surprised Eddie from Pearl Jam was involved, but on the other hand, everywhere they go, they always take the Vedder with them.

(sorry, that's worse than your Finn-ish joke isn't it?)
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeFri 02 May 2008, 19:19

lee spoons wrote:
I'm quite surprised Eddie from Pearl Jam was involved, but on the other hand, everywhere they go, they always take the Vedder with them.

(sorry, that's worse than your Finn-ish joke isn't it?)

Oh man! That one took me a minute... at first I was all scratch , and then I was like Idea and now I'm totally lol! Very punny, lee! Laughing
Back to top Go down
fecklessson7
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeSun 08 Mar 2009, 01:36

Apparently, Eddie Vedder grew up on Split Enz songs ; according to Neil Finn in Q magazine, a new album is due round about April, featuring contributions from sons Liam and Elroy, Johnny Marr, Ed O'Brien and Phil Selway, amongst others.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeSun 08 Mar 2009, 05:04

Yes, heard about the new disc and am stoked to hear it! It features the lineup (more or less) from the series of concerts Neil did in the 90's and that was AWESOME. Also, if I remember correctly, Eddie Vedder has an even stronger bond to the Finns then just being a fan. He is an avid surfer, as they are, and he often takes surfing trips to the Finn's native New Zealand. On one of these trips, late 90's, I think, he was out with Tim Finn and came off his board. Tim Finn apparently helped life guards to rescue Eddie and get him on shore. So I think his relationship with the Finn family is fairly tight, besides the professional stuff they do together.
Back to top Go down
Dr Evil
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeSun 08 Mar 2009, 11:44

I have always liked Crowded House even though I'm more into deep, dark, post-punk psychedilia (and more recently nu-folk)
The guitar on "Stormy Weather" is pretty close to the sort of stuff Will (of Echo & the Bunnymen) can achieve.
Back to top Go down
Bright Grey
fallen angel
fallen angel
Bright Grey

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 00:37

Together Alone is one of my favourite albums, with a cool story about how it was made:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjYHbywNEGY
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoySd1j1qnE

in another thread, ChrissieInFL wrote:
Bright Grey wrote:
Looks interesting. My gold standard for band bios are my Split Enz and Crowded House books.
Which books are those, Bright Grey? I love the Finns and wonder if I'd be able to track those down as I'd be quite keen to read them.
The Split Enz book is called Stranger Than Fiction and is a collector's item these days and if you can find a copy it's usually expensive. But several years ago permission was gained from author Mike Chunn to scan the book and put it online here:

http://www.book.russells.id.au/

Not the easiest way to read it because each page is uploaded individually (was done in the days before pdf converters etc were common), but you can always print out your own copy...

But it's a good yarn.

Along with STF, essential listening for any Enz fan or just interested in music biographies is the fantastic Enzology series made by Radio New Zealand, which can be streamed or downloaded here:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/enzology

The Crowded House book is called Something So Strong and these days can be purchased direct from the author Chris Bourke:

http://www.chrisbourke.co.nz

Might be worth sending him an email first to make sure he still has copies before going through the ordering process. He also has lots of articles and reviews about CH and the Finns he's written on the site.

Last week was 4 years since Paul Hester died...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD8pMIH1puw
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/SeldomSeenVid
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 13:14

Jonny wrote:

in seriousness, there's a whooole lot of metal bands from Finland isn't there http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bands_from_Finland
only one I can see I know is HIM.
You only know HIM? that is a bit depressing. Finland is one fo the best countries to make proper good metal music.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeMon 06 Apr 2009, 15:46

Bright Grey, that is a veritable cornucopia of Finn awesomeness you posted! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) You_ro10
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeTue 07 Apr 2009, 17:01

Yeah, i don't mind a bit of Crowded House in my mellower moments.
Only have their greatest hits on digital these days, but occasionally go for a blast of reminiscing.

For some reason i really like Pineapple Head, must be a memory of an old girlfriend (as usual!)
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeThu 30 Apr 2009, 22:49

I like Crowded House - saw them at a brilliant gig in Sherwood forest last year. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Bright Grey
fallen angel
fallen angel
Bright Grey

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 22:14

This really needs to be mentioned here given that it's only just over a month away from release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaU1ia3Bquw
https://www.youtube.com/user/7worldscollide

Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) 61kvVlX95TL._SS500_

The Press Release wrote:
7 Worlds Collide - The Sun Came Out
The first 7 Worlds Collide album, a collection of amazing musical talents from across the globe in aid of Médecins Sans Frontières, was a unique live performance experience, fusing the varied talents of a stellar cast across a range of cover versions to create a series of shows that culminated in the live album of the same name. Seven years after that project, instigator Neil Finn has upped the ante with the new 7 Worlds Collide project, ‘The Sun Came Out’, a double album of original songs created and recorded by many of the original cast alongside notable new additions in an intense three weeks in his native New Zealand. This time the beneficiaries of this album will be Oxfam, as well as music lovers worldwide.

Familiar faces from the original album abound, Johnny Marr, Ed O’Brien and Phil Selway of Radiohead but this album, first and foremost presents the listener with new songs rather than interpretations of old favourites. ‘The Sun Came Out’ also features a whole host of new guest talents such as KT Tunstall and Wilco and heart stopping firsts, including Phil Selway's songwriting and vocal debut as well as dream collaborations such as those between Johnny Marr and Wilco's Jeff Tweedy; and KT Tunstall and Neil Finn .

At the heart of the record is Neil Finn. His enthusiasm and drive persuaded the likes of celebrated producer Jim Scott, Lisa Germano, Johnny Marr and Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy, Pat Sansone, John Stirratt and Glenn Kotche (amongst others) to spend their Christmas holiday in New Zealand and even interrupted KT Tunstall’s honeymoon in the process. The setting had its advantages though, as Neil notes, if the worst came to the worst the assembled cast could write it off as a holiday. Thankfully, the results mean that all those involved got both a holiday in one of the world’s most stunning landscapes and created some of the best music you will hear all year.

With families welcome, the studio became a constant whirl of creativity and energy throughout the three weeks allocated to create the record. Johnny Marr returned from a run on the beach with the basis of ‘Too Blue’, where Jeff Tweedy was waiting to add his talents; KT Tunstall stopped Neil retiring to his bed to complete ‘Hazel Black’; a wandering Johnny Marr added a chorus melody to Liam Finn’s ‘Red Wine Bottle’; Ed O’Brien fashioned ‘Bodhisattva Blues’ from a Tibetan chant. In this atmosphere, anything was possible and Neil’s wife Sharon found herself laying down her debut vocal on ‘Little By Little’ whilst Phil Selway also took his vocal bow and unveiled a hitherto unknown songwriting talent with his solo turn ‘The Ties That Bind Us’ in one take.

From Neil’s original doubts over the idea, “I thought, what is this? Is it just an ego thing’”came a double album of astounding collaborations for the listener and amazing memories for all those concerned in the recording. At the centre of it all stands Neil Finn, too humble to take the glory himself, it is left to KT Tunstall to give the credit due to the man who made this happen: “It’s Neil. It all comes from him. There’s something about him that made everyone open up creatively”.

Jeremy Hobbs, Director of Oxfam International said: "7 Worlds Collide is a great project - I hope The Sun Came Out is a huge success. Not just because it's a unique musical experience but because each CD sold will make a difference - raising money to fund Oxfam's work to fight poverty."
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/SeldomSeenVid
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 22:58

Oh good Lord yes. SOOO excited to get my mitts on this - thanks Bright Grey! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jul 2009, 00:16

Dabamash wrote:
I like crowded house.

Me too - love them. Saw them at Sherwood Pines Forest last year. Sun - good crowd and brilliant music.

Been a fan for a long long time. sunny
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jul 2009, 09:57

I love Neil Finn's solo work it is beautiful.
I saw the live 2001 7 Worlds Collide concerts and they were amazing, I can't wait for this release!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 15:17

Neil Finn is one of the best Melody writers out there. Love all of his work, particularly Woodface and Together Alone. Crowded House were/are one of the best live acts I've seen. The recent concerts were very good, but nothing will ever quite match the gigs that featured former drummer Paul Hester - He was a real character. It was nice to see the band remember him with their own tribute on the reunion tour. Very moving indeed.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 10:35

Did anyone manage to get to this, I was at the Laura Marling extrvaganza, but it would have been amazing! Dam it!!

http://www.nme.com/news/neil-finn/46644
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 14:59

LongLegs wrote:
Did anyone manage to get to this, I was at the Laura Marling extrvaganza, but it would have been amazing! Dam it!!

http://www.nme.com/news/neil-finn/46644

Oh, holy cheese! That looked INSANE!!! Would've loved to have been there, for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)   Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anything Finn-ish! (Crowded House/Split Enz, etc.)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: