elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Classic Album Covers Stamps

Go down 
+4
ticky
ChrissieInFL
Jones
mrswoman
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Classic Album Covers Stamps Empty
PostSubject: Classic Album Covers Stamps   Classic Album Covers Stamps Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 10:01

One for cover art buffs or completist fans of Bowie, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, New Order etc: Royal Mail Classic Stamps

Royal Mail are even offering a book featuring interviews with Sir Peter Blake, Roger Dean and Peter Saville.
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Classic Album Covers Stamps   Classic Album Covers Stamps Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 11:15

I have to say, they look brilliant!
Instantly recognizable, or at the very least you would be somewhat familiar with them.
Very iconic and a great idea!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Classic Album Covers Stamps   Classic Album Covers Stamps Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 13:12

These do look sweeeet! Gonna get my relatives in Ayrshire to pick some up for me! They're older and not too useful when it comes to finding me British music stuff, but they should be able to manage getting the stamps. Laughing That Clash one is righteous. Wonder how they selected which covers to use?
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Classic Album Covers Stamps   Classic Album Covers Stamps Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 15:17

I'm surprised that they used that particular Pink Floyd cover - one would have thought they would have chosen DSOTM or even Wish you were here.
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Classic Album Covers Stamps   Classic Album Covers Stamps Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 16:50

ticky wrote:
I'm surprised that they used that particular Pink Floyd cover - one would have thought they would have chosen DSOTM or even Wish you were here.

Just what I was thinking. DSOTM or The Wall are far more recognisable than Division Bell. Ho hum!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Classic Album Covers Stamps   Classic Album Covers Stamps Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 17:37

Good quizzes here if you like Album Covers !

http://www.wongaman.demon.co.uk/musicquiz/musquiz.htm
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Classic Album Covers Stamps   Classic Album Covers Stamps Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 18:11

Hotblack wrote:
ticky wrote:

Just what I was thinking. DSOTM or The Wall are far more recognisable than Division Bell. Ho hum!!

Me too. "Division Bell - WTF?" I thought. DSOTM's cover is a cultural icon. Also A Rush Of Blood To The Head? Since when was that a classic cover?

I assume that rights restrictions meant no Sgt Pepper or Abbey Road. And I assume they are restricted to UK artists (hence no Nevermind)

My 10 images would have been...
DSOTM
Abbey Road
Never Mind The B***ocks (London Calling is ace in every way, but it is basically a copy of an Elvis album cover)
Unknown Pleasures
Parklife (Can't argue with that one since it kind of symbolised a decade, and is a bloody good record too)
Tubular Bells (Iconic and instantly recognisable irrespective of whether you like the music or not)
Aladdin Sane (Much more iconic image IMO than the Ziggy cover)
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
The Smiths - Meat is Murder
Roxy Music - pretty much any of the first 4 or 5 albums - I'll go for Country Life.

Any better choices?
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Classic Album Covers Stamps   Classic Album Covers Stamps Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 18:23

Mr_K wrote:
My 10 images would have been...
DSOTM
Abbey Road
Never Mind The B***ocks (London Calling is ace in every way, but it is basically a copy of an Elvis album cover)
Unknown Pleasures
Parklife (Can't argue with that one since it kind of symbolised a decade, and is a bloody good record too)
Tubular Bells (Iconic and instantly recognisable irrespective of whether you like the music or not)
Aladdin Sane (Much more iconic image IMO than the Ziggy cover)
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
The Smiths - Meat is Murder
Roxy Music - pretty much any of the first 4 or 5 albums - I'll go for Country Life.

Any better choices?
I was going to suggest The Smiths' "The Queen is Dead" until it was pointed out it's not a great choice for a Royal Mail stamp... queen
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Classic Album Covers Stamps   Classic Album Covers Stamps Icon_minitimeSun 24 Jan 2010, 08:04

I think I may go buy myself a set of those stamps!
Good trivia question. Who was the only living person (apart from the Queen), to have their image used on a postage stamp? There was a bit of a hu ha a while back when the Royal Mail use a pick of Freddie Mercury, and Roger could be clearly seen in the background. Big no-no!

Great quizz! Knew roughly 50% of them as either myself or Hubby have them in our collection. Yes, I bought a copy of Enya's C.D when it came out.
Lesley
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Classic Album Covers Stamps   Classic Album Covers Stamps Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Classic Album Covers Stamps
Page 1 of 1