elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mumford and sons

Go down 
+12
Adderz
skazzochnizza
NeonChoir
My Bury Vest
elbowismymuse
Stockhaus
hacmac
TamedLamia
LongLegs
Misspelt Yoof
Hotblack
ElbowFreak
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jan 2010, 18:59

Question first: why am I - the non-UKer - discovering all those beautiful UK bans at first?? Or mention them at first?? *LOL* Very Happy

Little lion man is probably one of the best singles I've heard at the moment.
Here's the video:

And look through the comments on this video. Many people are discussing if they are like Elbow - or want to be.
I don't think so. I even think that they sound complete different! But great!
Everything (almost) that comes from the UK is great! Very Happy

Btw. the other band I mentioned on this forum was Martin and James but noone noticed them either.... unfortunatelly!
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 08:48

Sigh No More is a really good album. That and Noah and the Whale's The First Days of Spring are on heavy rotation in this house at the moment. Very Happy

I don't think Little Lion Man will be a singlwe over here unless it's editted for language and I don't think they are anything like Elbow, or even trying to be. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 10:55

Hotblack wrote:
I don't think Little Lion Man will be a singlwe over here unless it's editted for language
Wasn't it released as a single last summer? Charted pretty well too, from what I remember.

I enjoy the album alot. Nothing like Elbow though, I agree.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 12:10

Aye, it was released in September after their signing to Island/Gentleman of the Road.
The album is wonderful and glad their music has finally reached the masses!
I remember a certain Mr Mumford playing drums with Laura Marling when she supported Elbow!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 17:29

I'm getting the album on friday... really looking forward to it!!!!

At the moment I don't know what I should listen to first.... Shocked
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeThu 01 Apr 2010, 11:12

Btw...anyone else who thought after the band's first appearings in radio not of some old fashioned family business name but of "A LA PEANUTBUTTER SANDWICHES" (beziehungsweise auf deutsch: ruppdiwupp ruppeldidupp schnipp schnapp!)
http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/The_Amazing_Mumford

What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
hacmac
fallen angel
fallen angel
hacmac

Male Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-03-31

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeSat 03 Apr 2010, 16:26

very good recommendation. thanks.

little lion man and the cave have been on heavy rotation on the radio here in germany. nevertheless i havent given the band a serious thought.
listening to the album right now, i wonder why the band didnt strike me earlier...
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeSun 04 Apr 2010, 06:23

@ hacmac: Welcome to the M&S world! Hope you enjoy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeSun 04 Apr 2010, 11:11

Misspelt Yoof wrote:
Hotblack wrote:
I don't think Little Lion Man will be a singlwe over here unless it's editted for language
Wasn't it released as a single last summer? Charted pretty well too, from what I remember.

I think I remember a version where the f-word is just a sharp "FFFF".
I can imagine why some folks feel reminded on Elbow. The "bearded crumpet" style. And maybe a bit the vocals. The kickdrum after all reminds me somehow on early Genesis... Suspect What a Face
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeSun 04 Apr 2010, 13:43

TamedLamia wrote:
Misspelt Yoof wrote:
Hotblack wrote:

reminds me somehow on early Genesis... Suspect What a Face

Haha, and the circle closes again. :-)
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 12:37

I went to see them a couple of weeks back in sweden, a tiny little club in stockholm, it was great. Unfortunally i had to many pints of beer just before the gig and was standing most of the gig waiting for it to be over so i could run to the ladies. And the fact that my knee played up so i was standing on one leg. but part from that it was really really god,people was standing on tables and chairs in the back to get a good view.
and the best thing, Johnny Flynn was supporting, he is such a star adore him and his music.
Back to top Go down
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 12:04

They write and perform heartfelt, beautiful songs and their lyrics are streets ahead of most current output... therein lies their only similarities to Elbow! Very Happy

Dragged myself away from BARB today for a few seconds to listen to Liar again... Lovely song. Smile
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 13:01

A band I hate with a passion - I think it might be the banjo's - the music unsettles me that much, that I don't even listen to what the lyrics are.

If Elbow ever used banjo's, I's walk into the Irish Sea and keep walking..........

Hey, we're all different though !
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 13:34

My Bury Vest wrote:
A band I hate with a passion - I think it might be the banjo's - the music unsettles me that much, that I don't even listen to what the lyrics are.

If Elbow ever used banjo's, I's walk into the Irish Sea and keep walking..........

Hey, we're all different though !

But it was not your fault but mine.

I'm quite partial to a bit of banjo, but all the songs sound the same, that's my issue.
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 14:27

Ahhh, M & S. I quite like this group. But then again, I tend to like folky music in general, so that would probably have something to do with it. :3
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 15:59

Ermmm... I don't think so. I'm not into folk music and like them too. Very Happy
If it's great music style doesn't matter.
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 18:37

Well, I meant that more in terms of me, rather than anyone else. Sorry, I should've clarified. Razz
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 22:46

My Bury Vest wrote:

Beware! They in fact did! At "Everthere" but Guy played it not they way it is usually played... Wink
Back to top Go down
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 04:42

To be honest, folk music has the power to bore me utterly to tears, but I think Mumford and Sons are a little more than just folk. They don't have quite the musical flexibility - or haven't demonstrated it - as Elbow (very few bands do, tbh) but they write songs from the heart, I love the vocals, and I love the lyrics.... decent lyrics are not that easy to come by these days. I sound like an old git and at 27 that's slightly worrying....but it's true.

They're a bit safe and inoffensive musically; I can see why some might find them a bit boring but I think they get more interesting the more you listen.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 09:46

I would file them in the Bluegrass section, rather than folk!
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 17:45

They're not hardcore bluegrass, though. If they were, I'd get highly annoyed, as I dislike it.
Back to top Go down
skazzochnizza
fallen angel
fallen angel
skazzochnizza

Female Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-07-09

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jul 2011, 22:35

When my friend sent me The Cave I didn't expect the band would be THIS cool. But M&S turned out to be very talented gentlemen Smile Sigh No More is a very intimate and sincere record - I like every single track on it.

Smile
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeThu 04 Aug 2011, 20:01

"The Cave" is an excellent track, no doubt.
Back to top Go down
Adderz
fallen angel
fallen angel
Adderz

Male Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-09-09

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeFri 09 Sep 2011, 17:04

I actually really love their first album! =) Just my own opinion but it's now a favorite of mine. I actually really love some of the lyrics. Although I would not compare it to Guy's lyrics. I hope to see them live some day. I actually really like their take on the folk area of music etc but I'm certainly no expert.

Whilst it's a good first album I think I will wait and see what future releases are like before calling them "an amazing band" or whatever. A truly great band is consistently good (such as elbow) so I'm waiting eagerly for their next album. =) x
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitimeMon 10 Oct 2011, 02:02

Has anyone heard the new EP from The Wedding Band? (The Wedding Band is Mumford and Sons with some other musicians, basically.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mumford and sons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mumford and sons   Mumford and sons Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mumford and sons
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: