elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid

Go down 
+24
Tailfly
fadeupyoursmile
lucky with disease
noisebox
Misspelt Yoof
evilpixie
Leo
Bethany
ChrissyBoy
ChrissieInFL
Topaz
Ted
JulieinTX
Jones
Humurus
Hotblack
Skeletor
demonocracy
TamedLamia
leespoons
ukkonen
Dabamash
MagicalTrevor
Jonny
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891
Registration date : 2008-04-01

the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Empty
PostSubject: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2008, 21:44

The new album is here!! For the brits anyway. And by gum it's fantastic!

What's your standout track at the moment? I'm in love with Some Riot at the moment, I love the subtle bits of piano; gives me classic Elbow goosebumps. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2008, 21:59

"Starlings" followed by "The Bones Of You" is one of the most impressive openings to an album I have ever heard
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2008, 23:02

It really is brilliant. The Bones of You lived up to the feelings it gave me when I first heard that small sample of it on their website. Those two songs sure uplift!
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeWed 02 Apr 2008, 10:56

I think Grounds for Divorce is a great track, and i love how he bangs the mug on the table during the chorus in the video! Smile
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeWed 02 Apr 2008, 23:29

Yeah it's funny Razz But what on earth is that thing he's hitting when they played it on Jonathan Ross? I'm interested to see if he'll have the same thing on Sunday... BAM... BAM... BAM...
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeWed 02 Apr 2008, 23:43

grr. But actually i was thinking that myself, looked like a draining board
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeThu 03 Apr 2008, 00:48

I'd have to go with the fact that "Mirrorball" is probably my favorite track off of the album, but it's something that changes weekly. Even though it's also a crowd pleaser and something to sing along with, I want to know what "One Day Like This" will sound like with a large group of people being able to sing along with the chorus. It's difficult to pick one favorite Elbow track. I have to say that so far with the b-sides, Hotel Istanbul is my favorite new one out of the three already released from the Grounds for Divorce singles.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeThu 03 Apr 2008, 17:28

Love the album... the only song I'm not sure about is One Day Like This, as I've said elsewhere it sounds a bit too obvious to be an Elbow song... more like Embrace... although I think it'd work really well as a festival singalong.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeThu 03 Apr 2008, 19:10

jonny wrote:
But what on earth is that thing he's hitting when they played it on Jonathan Ross? I'm interested to see if he'll have the same thing on Sunday... BAM... BAM... BAM...

I think it is a tubular bell...
When I saw that video first I thought in the first moment: "is he limping again and has a walking stick??" but then I saw that it was a tube, he was carrying... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
demonocracy
fallen angel
fallen angel
demonocracy

Female Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeFri 04 Apr 2008, 08:22

Quote :
"Starlings" followed by "The Bones Of You" is one of the most impressive openings to an album I have ever heard

I definitely have to agree with that, it really was so powerful listening to that the first time through. Mirrorball is definitely my favourite track in all respects (especially lyrically) and An Audience With The Pope probably comes a close second.
Back to top Go down
http://lippykid.tumblr.com
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeFri 04 Apr 2008, 16:13

lee spoons wrote:
Love the album... the only song I'm not sure about is One Day Like This, as I've said elsewhere it sounds a bit too obvious to be an Elbow song... more like Embrace... although I think it'd work really well as a festival singalong.

Aye when I first heard it I was like hmmm... Grace Under Pressure v2.0? But I dunno, it's really uplifting! Can't wait to bellow it out at my student union on Sunday Very Happy *excitement peaking*
Back to top Go down
Skeletor
friend of ours
friend of ours
Skeletor

Male Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeWed 09 Apr 2008, 01:05

Great album, the guys always surprise me with the amount of quality they come back every time...
Favourite track? Probably An Audience with the Pope...
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeWed 09 Apr 2008, 09:10

Favourite track? Can't choose one at the moment. It changes daily

Starlings is exhilarating, One Day Like This totally uplifting, Mirrorball is gorgeous, Friend of Ours is gut wrenching, Grounds for Divorce has a superb riff.

Least favourite track is The Fix but then I'm not a fan of Richard Hawley.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Humurus
newborn
newborn

Male Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeTue 15 Apr 2008, 21:50

Just jumped aboard, and I'd agree with Jonny Mine's Some Riot.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeThu 24 Apr 2008, 22:19

Weather to Fly (!) It is an absolute master piece...
Back to top Go down
JulieinTX
little beast
little beast

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeFri 25 Apr 2008, 01:54

For me, it's been "The Bones of You" for several weeks, but now "Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver" is sneaking up on me in a big way...
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeFri 25 Apr 2008, 09:21

Mm seeing Tower Crane Driver live really made it shine for me...
Back to top Go down
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

Male Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeFri 25 Apr 2008, 10:55

Jones wrote:

Yes I agree! It isn't talked about much or rated I find but it is a really lovely song. It is like "we are elbow and this is how far we've come and it has been a great journey." Sort of a retrospective. One of my stand out tracks on the album. I love the line 'we had the drive and the time on our hands, one little room and the biggest of plans.' classic elbow!
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeFri 25 Apr 2008, 11:10

The Bones of You is it right now. That pounding beat does something good to me.

Was Mirrorball for a while. I'm sure it'll change again depending on my mood.

I agree that Weather to Fly is beauteous. I love you
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeFri 25 Apr 2008, 12:18

Ted wrote:
Jones wrote:

Yes I agree! It isn't talked about much or rated I find but it is a really lovely song. It is like "we are elbow and this is how far we've come and it has been a great journey." Sort of a retrospective. One of my stand out tracks on the album. I love the line 'we had the drive and the time on our hands, one little room and the biggest of plans.' classic elbow!

Wish this one was being included in the live shows, as I think a lot of fans have come to really love it. Haven't seen it in any of the set lists I've found from the UK/Ireland shows so I don't expect to hear it in Chicago either. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeFri 25 Apr 2008, 22:09

I believe they are working on it and hoping to add it in later shows. Laughing
Back to top Go down
JulieinTX
little beast
little beast

Number of posts : 56

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeFri 25 Apr 2008, 23:33

jonny wrote:
Mm seeing Tower Crane Driver live really made it shine for me...

God, I can only imagine how powerful it must be live.
Weather to Fly is a beautiful, beautiful song...
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeSat 26 Apr 2008, 07:33

***Beware. Possible Pretentious B*ll*x Alert****

I hadn't listened to TSSK for a couple of days and then sat down last night with a bottle of beer, put my headphones on and turned up the wick on my amplifier. I'd like to give a dispassionate view but I can't as I'm passionate about good music. I think what I'm trying to say is that I'm trying to be objective rather than subjective about TSSK. I'm not a fanboy who believes that everything by all the bands I like is superb. They've all had hits and misses but I really feel that TSSK has the makings of a true classic.

Listening last night I was taken on an emotional roller coaster. From the glorious uplift given by Starlings and One Day Like This, the humour of The Fix and Audience with the Pope; the emotional tuggings from Friend of Ours, Some Riot, Tower Crane Driver, the beauty of Mirrorball and Weather to Fly and the power of The Bones of You and Grounds for Divorce there isn't a bad moment on the album.

The music is stunning, the lyrics fantastic and the playing and production is full and rich with a superb clarity of sound (is it me but is th eproduction on LOTFW a bit thin). The sequencing of the songs is inspired. What's not to like?

One thing I want to know. Why isn't this album selling by the truckload? It's frighteningly good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeSat 26 Apr 2008, 08:18

Hotblack wrote:

One thing I want to know. Why isn't this album selling by the truckload? It's frighteningly good.

Wish i had the answer. I have told everyone at work about Elbow, and probably 75% of them said.."Who ?", "are they new?" etc.
Maybe they should start one of those schemes like Sky or Next, you know.. introduce two friends ... and before the end of the month we could take over the world lol!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitimeSat 26 Apr 2008, 13:16

cheers Hotblack - Well put; your take on TSSK is correct all the way. There's genuinely nothing wrong on this album. I really never found any weak moments on it, after listening to it for weeks now. I am a fan (obviously!) and as you said, most fans tend to put a positive spin on anything their fave artists create. But I do recognize the fact that on all 3 previous Elbow records, there wasn't the same start-to-finish consistency, quality-wise, as there is on this one. It really is a step up for them and I also wish I knew why more people aren't buying and loving it. scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next