elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Time and a Word

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours
yesman

Male Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Time and a Word Empty
PostSubject: Time and a Word   Time and a Word Icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2009, 19:07

One of my favourite bands is Yes.

When I listen to Elbow , particularly AITB, parts do remind me of early Yes. Mainly in the organ sound and some of the harmonies.

I have tried to track down on youtube an old song of Yes called Survival which IMHO has certain similarities.
The song goes back to the late 1960's and is on one of their first albums.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a Yes version but found this instead. It features the main lead singer of Yes, Jon Anderson backed by a young school of rock .

The quality of the video is not great but see what you think.

There's a Time and the Time is now and it's right for me, it's right for me...and the Word is love

Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Time and a Word Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time and a Word   Time and a Word Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar 2009, 09:33

Yes were always a bit too noodly for me, my favourite bands were/are early BJH (now JLBJH) and Caravan. Elbow reminded me a littlest bit of early BJH in their first records (Organ, again and melodies/vocal harmonies) also a similar history (until recently, ofcourse!) of label changes, in the shadow of more 'popular' bands etc.
Guy and Craig didn't seem to know of BJH, a couple of years back when JLBJH were touring, even though they were a good old NW band... from not far round their way, Oldham. Suppose it was all before Madchester and Factory records, Haciendia etc, was all the rage.

Elbow have mentioned King Crimson and Genesis more...and of course there is Pink Floyd.

Just lately, with recent Elbow I'm reminded more of ELO and The Beatles.

Like that atmosphere of the Time that the video you put up evokes.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Time and a Word Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time and a Word   Time and a Word Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar 2009, 15:14

Happy memories, I've always liked Yes, though don't know this song - good to hear it. I must admit Yes aren't the first band that spring to mind when I think of Elbow, but I do see what you mean about the keyboard sound on this, it was Craig's keyboards that very first caught my attention with Elbow when I first heard them. I also loved Yes's album covers, and had a few Roger Deans on my walls as a student. Smile
Back to top Go down
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours
yesman

Male Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Time and a Word Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time and a Word   Time and a Word Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar 2009, 18:54

Hi , Lucky . I am also a big fan of BJH and agree there are some similarities. Never really listened to Caravan but I think their singer Richard Sinclair went on to join Camel (another of my faves from the distant past !!)
Really like Floyd."Wish you were here" a personal favourite. Early Genesis also.

I can relate to your comment on Beatles and ELO influences more recently, especially the arrangements .

The impressive thing about Elbow is that they have many influences but sound quite unique and original.

Not sure what "noodly" means though !!!

Hi Glendarian, totally agree about Roger Dean's artwork.

BTW Jon Anderson of Yes was born in Accrington, Lancashire..not a million miles away from Bury !! Bet you really wanted to know that !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Time and a Word Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time and a Word   Time and a Word Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time and a Word
Page 1 of 1