elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!

Go down 
+12
evilpixie
Robeman
thisismusic
nellie
ElbowFreak
Jones
TamedLamia
al
Jonny
Leo
Emma G
Ted
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

Male Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-04-19

Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Empty
PostSubject: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeMon 08 Dec 2008, 20:12

I don't know if this has been brought up before but in November's edition of Word magazine, Guy was on the cover and there were some great old pictures inside. I have scanned them for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!

Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Dec08010
Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Dec08011
Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Dec08012
Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Dec08013
Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Dec08014
Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Dec08015
Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Dec08016
Back to top Go down
Emma G
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeMon 08 Dec 2008, 20:39

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the 18 year old clean shaven Guy bears an uncanny resemblance to Chris "Finchy" Finch from The Office??!!
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeMon 08 Dec 2008, 22:44

YES!! HAHA

that is a top interview - really great
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeTue 09 Dec 2008, 03:36

Yeahhh, brilliant post, Ted! Thanks very much Smile I very much enjoyed seeing the young photos of the band, and I still can't get enough of all this praise Elbow are getting.
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeTue 09 Dec 2008, 08:09

I was listening to an old Collings and Herrin podcast earlier in the week, Andrew Collins mentioned being hungover for many days after traveling to Manchester to interview a band which he refused to name who outdrunk him by a fair bit. I chuckled!
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeTue 09 Dec 2008, 16:25

ah...lovely pictures...Very Happy Still I am not quite sure if the old pics are really from 1992... confused
He just looks a lot younger without a beard and before he became chubby.... Wink
If Craig could confirm/deny the age of the "old" pics??
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeTue 09 Dec 2008, 19:04

Lovely article, thank you Ted, for posting it!
Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeTue 09 Dec 2008, 19:08

Thanks a lot for posting this!!! Great!
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeWed 10 Dec 2008, 16:08

Well, I checked those old Powderbluesite-Links and found this picture, entitled "NME onband July 2000"
Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Elbow22
So I think those "1992" pics are in truth from between 1998 and 2000 Suspect
What REALLY seems to be from around 1992 (or even earlier) are THESE crazy pictures...
http://zones12.tripod.com/soft.htm

But again, very nice article, even if the pics are from later they are very cute... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeWed 10 Dec 2008, 17:57

Wwwwwwaaaaaah! TL, where the heck to you get those pics. And by the way, those are awful!!! Shocked
Yeah, Elbow are like good wine, they get better year after year! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeThu 11 Dec 2008, 06:27

I likes the look of that Word magazine - Elbow on the cover, bit of Eno + Byrne, love for Rick Wright, good stuff!
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeSat 13 Dec 2008, 21:40

wish i could get a copy of this mag, i've tried and tried but no luck. Mad
thanks for posting though, great interview. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeSat 13 Dec 2008, 22:43

Gaaaaahhhh! My eyes! My eyes! affraid
Back to top Go down
thisismusic
fallen angel
fallen angel
thisismusic

Female Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeSun 14 Dec 2008, 10:21

i bought this issue at the munich train station when i was looking for something to read on my way back to vienna after the elbow concert in munich the night before and i thought ... how appropriate is that ? great read.

nellie wrote:
wish i could get a copy of this mag, i've tried and tried but no luck. Mad
thanks for posting though, great interview. Smile

if you check ebay, there are a few german sellers who are selling it.
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeSun 14 Dec 2008, 12:02

thisismusic wrote:
i bought this issue at the munich train station when i was looking for something to read on my way back to vienna after the elbow concert in munich the night before and i thought ... how appropriate is that ? great read.

Yeah, it's the only way I get international magazines! Very Happy Munich train station!
Back to top Go down
Robeman
little beast
little beast
Robeman

Male Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeMon 15 Dec 2008, 08:32

TamedLamia wrote:

What REALLY seems to be from around 1992 (or even earlier) are THESE crazy pictures...

But again, very nice article, even if the pics are from later they are very cute... Very Happy

Haha...priceless pics TL! Laughing But I'm having trouble telling who is who really? Ok, the guy with the glasses is Guy off course, and it's Mark in the blue sweater and Richard in the red right? Who's the fourth guy?
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeMon 15 Dec 2008, 17:53

Well, I think the "group" picture isn't even Soft, it might be the infamous "Synoptic Reverb", as far as I remember Guy talking about them in some of his Payola-Shows at Xfm they had a female bassist. And he was kicked out because he said that one song was stolen from The Doors... Shocked
I must say I only recognize Guy, cause there's no chap with a big birthmark on his cheek (Rick) Wink
But check out THIS rare pic (unfortunately slightly hidden because it was at ebay...wonder who got it by now...)
Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Soft-l10
Guy and Rick are lying on the ground, the Potters must be those two long black haired boys above left, I think I see Pete's afrohair...and the hidden chap on the right...maybe the chap with the guitar on the other photo?
Back to top Go down
Robeman
little beast
little beast
Robeman

Male Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeTue 16 Dec 2008, 09:29

TamedLamia wrote:
Well, I think the "group" picture isn't even Soft, it might be the infamous "Synoptic Reverb", as far as I remember Guy talking about them in some of his Payola-Shows at Xfm they had a female bassist. And he was kicked out because he said that one song was stolen from The Doors... Shocked
I must say I only recognize Guy, cause there's no chap with a big birthmark on his cheek (Rick) Wink
But check out THIS rare pic (unfortunately slightly hidden because it was at ebay...wonder who got it by now...)

Hmmm..yeh, I think your right TL. If i really looked hard I thought I could see Mark hehe, but now I'm sure it isn't him Laughing . But yeh..the guy in the right corner could be the one with the guitar from the other pic...
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeTue 16 Dec 2008, 19:25

And this cut from a newspaper sounds quite interesting too... Very Happy
Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Soft10
Taken from the Bury Times, Friday March 12th, 1993
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jan 2009, 21:19

I think a real shame Guy didn't give his approval for 'One Day Like This' to be used in the Hovis advert. It would have been a fantastic combination and in no way would it have been 'selling out'.
Back to top Go down
newborn
friend of ours
friend of ours
newborn

Female Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeThu 26 Mar 2009, 21:00

Robeman wrote:
TamedLamia wrote:

Haha...priceless pics TL! Laughing But I'm having trouble telling who is who really? Ok, the guy with the glasses is Guy off course, and it's Mark in the blue sweater and Richard in the red right? Who's the fourth guy?

Hello,

Sorry to join the party so late!

These pics came from a website belonging to my brother's friend's brother (if you get my drift). He was in a band called Hidden and they supported Soft during their college days. The band photo's are of Hidden. As for the other pics, Guy is the one with glasses as you rightly say. I don't think the others are anything to do with Soft. I think it may be just a team photo that Guy happened to be in.

Great pics though. I was tempted myself to put them on myself. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeThu 26 Mar 2009, 22:27

TamedLamia wrote:
ah...lovely pictures...Very Happy Still I am not quite sure if the old pics are really from 1992... confused
He just looks a lot younger without a beard and before he became chubby.... Wink
If Craig could confirm/deny the age of the "old" pics??

Guy's not chubby!! He's full of...love and life!!

I have that Word mag, it's one of my favorite articles of them. Definitely think Guy is better looking now. He gets better every year.

xxx
Back to top Go down
noisebox
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2009, 22:18

TamedLamia wrote:
Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Soft-l10
Guy and Rick are lying on the ground, the Potters must be those two long black haired boys above left, I think I see Pete's afrohair...and the hidden chap on the right...maybe the chap with the guitar on the other photo?
I probably should've chipped in earlier on this one - this is a picture of Soft - all five of elbow are in it- the person on the far left is Esther who was in the band pre elbow. Guy and Jupp are on the ground, Pete and Mark are obscured and Craig is second from the left at the back.
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2009, 22:26

Jupp really hasn't aged at all. Good man yerself
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitimeThu 09 Apr 2009, 14:50

Holy cheese - missed this thread completely! Really glad I found it though - great interview and excellent pix! Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!   Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elbow In Word Magazine - Old Pictures Of The Band!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next