elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elbow - War Child Track

Go down 
+8
Stockhaus
ukkonen
lucky with disease
Glendarian
Jones
Eag
ChrissyBoy
Hotblack
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Elbow - War Child Track Empty
PostSubject: Elbow - War Child Track   Elbow - War Child Track Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jan 2009, 08:55

The cover of the U2 song was played by Chris Evans on R2 last night. It's available on Listen Again HERE. Click on Wednesday's show . It's approx 1 hour 25 mins in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - War Child Track   Elbow - War Child Track Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jan 2009, 17:51

Cheers Hotblack,

Listening now. I'm generally not a fan of cover versions, I always think the originals are better.
However, I think this sounds fine. Certainly haven't murdered it by any means. Thumbs Up!
Will listen again a few times.
..and the albums is for a great cause, so worth parting a few quid for !
Back to top Go down
Eag
little beast
little beast
Eag

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - War Child Track   Elbow - War Child Track Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jan 2009, 18:19

They've also been trailing the airing of the Abbey Road performance - don't know if it's on that Wednesday one, but was after the 6 o'clock news today (Thursday). Predictably the snippets used are from the three singles - the end of Grounds is monstrous Very Happy

EDIT: ...and more on-topic, I'm not familiar with the cover, but like all the ones the guys have done it sounds like they've really put a lot of time and respect into it. Wish Evans didn't talk over the end of it!
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - War Child Track   Elbow - War Child Track Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jan 2009, 09:41

Mmm, I agree with ChrissyBoy in that I normally don't like cover versions but this one is okay.
Badly missing that 'keening/lamenting' sound in the middle.
However, I will reserve judgement until I actually hear the full track without Chris Evans wittering all over the end of it.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - War Child Track   Elbow - War Child Track Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jan 2009, 10:14

I like a good cover if the artist brings something new to it. I think this one's lovely (like most of Elbow's covers... Ahem, am I biased? Wink ) I love this song and think they do it really well.
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - War Child Track   Elbow - War Child Track Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jan 2009, 14:01

Jones wrote:
Mmm, I agree with ChrissyBoy in that I normally don't like cover versions but this one is okay.
Badly missing that 'keening/lamenting' sound in the middle.
However, I will reserve judgement until I actually hear the full track without Chris Evans wittering all over the end of it.

I enjoy listening to cover versions that prompt a fresh listening to a song and can also give more insight into the feelings in the original version.
Elbow's version reminded me in mood of their song 'Snowball' which they wrote for the 2005 Warchild Album, restrained vocal at first, and the power and spine-tingling moments coming from the rest of the band's instrumental and backing vocals as the music progresses, rather than a Bono led lament.
Theirs is a more subtle rendition...(especially compared to Bono's full on- live version in Sydney 2007, where he acts out taking heroin on stage What a Face) This cover is worth repeated listenings, and I like it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - War Child Track   Elbow - War Child Track Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jan 2009, 22:20

I always seem to forget about posting in here as well, but I did post a link to the full track a few days ago over at powderblue. Here you go, guys: http://www.mediafire.com/?ihnzj0dedld
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - War Child Track   Elbow - War Child Track Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jan 2009, 23:41

you know, i love it! i really really do.
im not a U2 fan and Elbow does this really well.
love it!
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - War Child Track   Elbow - War Child Track Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jan 2009, 13:42

I love it too.

Guy's lovely silky voice makes me all mushy inside.

*melts into a puddle*
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - War Child Track   Elbow - War Child Track Icon_minitimeSun 01 Feb 2009, 18:12

Eeerm, this is REALLY hard for me!!!
As everyone knows I am a huge Elbow fan! But I am a longer U2 fan! Especially "running to ..." is one of my all time favourites. And to be honest - the original is better!! Sorry guys!! No offend! It just doesn't work for me. The last minute is great but you have to listen to that version:
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=DYHONQPIieA
Doesn't get any better!! Aaaah! Gossebumps!!!!
Edit: especially The Edge played the guitar a little different! AMACING!!!

But anyway! Nice to hear my favourite band cover my favourite band! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - War Child Track   Elbow - War Child Track Icon_minitimeMon 02 Feb 2009, 17:18

Ooooh, just listened to the full version a couple of times and me likey! I love you
It really grows on you!
Still think I like the U2 version maybe just a teensy bit more but that probably has more to do with the fact that I'm so used to that one...
Back to top Go down
Emma G
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - War Child Track   Elbow - War Child Track Icon_minitimeMon 02 Feb 2009, 21:39

I can hardly type this. Don't think i lke it. Am disgusted with self! Sorry guys
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - War Child Track   Elbow - War Child Track Icon_minitimeMon 16 Feb 2009, 13:04

<takes cover>
I'm not that keen, sorry. I thought it would be great, but to these weary old ears it lacks something, although I can't quite put my finger on it. I don't think it is particularly subtle either, just quieter. Guy's voice is lovely, true, but overall just an interesting Elbow curio, nothing more. Perhaps I'll give it another couple of listens later, see if it is a grower, but for now definately ho-hum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - War Child Track   Elbow - War Child Track Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elbow - War Child Track
Page 1 of 1