elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

WAR CHILD “HEROES” Press release

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

WAR CHILD “HEROES” Press release Empty
PostSubject: WAR CHILD “HEROES” Press release   WAR CHILD “HEROES” Press release Icon_minitimeWed 21 Jan 2009, 12:59

Thanks to takemeanywhere for the heads up...

WAR CHILD “HEROES”
FULL TRACKLIST AND ARTIST LINE UP ANNOUNCED
THE ALBUM WILL BE RELEASED ON FEBRUARY 16th 2009
War Child announce the full list of artists and songs that feature on their new album “Heroes”, released on Parlophone on February 16th .

The album concept is that the biggest legends in music history select one of their personal favourite songs from their own songwriting canon, and nominate a music hero from the next generation to create a modern reworking of that classic song. The album is in support of the real heroes – children who live with the brutal affects of war.

The tracklist in full:

1. Beck (Bob Dylan: Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat)
2. Scissor Sisters (Roxy Music: Do The Strand)
3. Lily Allen (The Clash: Straight To Hell)
4. Duffy (Paul McCartney: Live And Let Die)
5. Elbow (U2: Running To Stand Still)
6. TV On The Radio (David Bowie: Heroes)
7. Hot Chip (Joy Division: Transmission)
8. The Kooks (The Kinks: Victoria)
9. Estelle (Stevie Wonder: Superstition)
10. Rufus Wainwright (Brian Wilson: Wonderful/ Song For Children)
11. Peaches (Iggy Pop: Search And Destroy)
12. The Hold Steady (Bruce Springsteen: Atlantic City)
13. The Like (Elvis Costello: You Belong To Me)
14. Yeah Yeah Yeahs (The Ramones: Sheena Is A Punk Rocker)
15. Franz Ferdinand (Blondie: Call Me)

Guy Garvey of Elbow commented: “War Child do exactly what it says on the tin. These kids shouldn't be in such circumstances in the first place, but they are, so thank god someone's doing something about it.”

Sir Paul McCartney said: "I have been supporting War Child since 1995. Their work with children in war zones saves lives and their work with those who take decisions that help them to do something about it saves even more lives. The breadth of talent on this project is amazing; it's great that so many people gave their time, energy and support to this initiative. I urge everyone to support War Child."

EMI has made a substantial upfront payment to War Child, and will release the album on its Parlophone label.
Parlophone are donating all their profits to War Child's work to protect the most marginalised children in war zones, who would otherwise be overlooked: street children, child soldiers and children in prison.

www.warchild.org.uk/heroes

Notes to editors on “Heroes”?

• The 15 legends supporting the project have combined global album sales of over 1.4bn??
• The new acts chosen to cover the classic tracks include the UK’s biggest selling album artist of 2008, Duffy; the current Mercury prize winners, Elbow; and the act behind the most critically acclaimed album of 2008, TV On The Radio.??
• Some legends selected one of their all-time classic standards like Stevie Wonder’s ‘Superstition’, covered by Estelle, and Blondie’s ‘Call Me’, covered by Franz Ferdinand. Some selected favourite tracks that deserve to be rediscovered as with Scissor Sister’s exhilarating version of Roxy Music’s ‘Do The Strand’ (not released as a single in the UK) and Lily Allen’s stunning new take on The Clash’s ‘Straight To Hell’ (originally the b-side of ‘Should I Stay, Or Should I Go’).
• The album was recorded over six months in studios in London, Manchester, Paris, Berlin, New York and Los Angeles. It was mastered at Abbey Road studios in London.
• “Heroes” is War Child’s fifth album, dating back to 1995’s legendary “Help” album. War Child’s albums have won awards at the Brit Awards, as well as from Q and NME.?

Notes to editors on War Child

• War Child is an international charity, founded in 1993 and works in the world’s most dangerous war zones including Iraq, Afghanistan, Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo. War Child aims to protect children who are hit hardest by war and its consequences.

• 66% of people who die in conflict are children

Last edited by MagicalTrevor on Sat 28 Feb 2009, 15:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: WAR CHILD “HEROES” Press release   WAR CHILD “HEROES” Press release Icon_minitimeWed 21 Jan 2009, 16:02

MagicalTrevor wrote:
Thanks to takemeanywhere for the heads up...

Sad
(See: "A Little Tip...")
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: WAR CHILD “HEROES” Press release   WAR CHILD “HEROES” Press release Icon_minitimeWed 21 Jan 2009, 17:58

Aww..don't be sad Jones...the thanks was for the heads up about the press release...not the wonderful insider information which you provided us with, for which I am as ever eternally grateful. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: WAR CHILD “HEROES” Press release   WAR CHILD “HEROES” Press release Icon_minitimeThu 22 Jan 2009, 19:06

Razz
OK, friends again! I love you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WAR CHILD “HEROES” Press release   WAR CHILD “HEROES” Press release Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WAR CHILD “HEROES” Press release
Page 1 of 1